Axminster AC370l lathe has too many issues

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xiionn

Reaction score
Hi, This is my first post, although ive read a fair few posts over the years.

I recently bought the AC370 lathe to replace my Myford ML8, because after years, i was seduced by the idea of a modern, more accurate and larger machine. I have been trying to use the lathe for the past few weeks, and i have had so many issues with it, it seems every time i go to use it, i find something else.

First use, i wanted to finish an accurate bore hole in a fragile peice, only to cut my hand on the tool rest. Some nasty sharp burs were lurking under the curve of the rest bar so as i ran my hand along with the tool, ouch.

I then discovered that the headstock is out, and i did not know how to adjust it, the stop on the lathe forces it laterally out by a few mm. There is literally no information i can find on how to adjust this on this lathe, So after asking Axminster how to adjust it, they instead said i need to arrange it to be looked at.

So, i gave up and turned a spindle, and the tool rest support fell off, luckily as i was removing the tool from the wood. There is no split pin holding the cam bar in place and it just fell out. gave me a shock thats for sure. I also noticed some chattering, and realised that i can move the tailstock revolving centre side to side enough to hear it knock. Not sure if this is the same with all modern lathes and im being fussy, but my old myford one is still rock solid with no play at all.

At higher speeds, there is a clattering sound around the motor area, which is disconcerting, it goes at lower speeds, but even bare, no wood or chuck, its there.

Today, the last straw, i decided to give a long spindle a go, and to my surprise, the headstock wont lock when over to the left of the bed. It locks solid from about a foot in, but further left, no. I took my calipers and measured the bed, and its thin on the left, so it will never be able to lock there.

So, im asking Axminster to collect the lathe, and i'm not sure what to do really. If they replace the lathe, will i face similar build quality issues, because so far, the build quality on this lathe is bordering on dangerous. I don't mind the plastic locking handles, or other corners cut, after all this machine is cheaper than anything comparable, but i do need functional, so will a replacement be functional, or will i always face issues with it?

Axminster service levels are excellent. If you are so unhappy with it I’d just get your money back as you clearly feel that the unit isn't fit for purpose.
I would then commend looking very hard at better alternatives cos you do rather get what you pay for at the lower end of the lathe pricing spectrum.

Sorry to hear you have problems. I have the previous version called AWVSL1000 and I also have one of the bigger Trade lathes hence the reason for selling it.

My experience is that some of the issues you have are not normal. The rest should not have sharp edges but you should expect the black finish to come off where the tool rests and it should become polished as you use it.

The cam action for the tailstock is adjustable by a big nut underneath. Once adjusted it should allow the tailstock to be locked anywhere.

Similarly for the headstock and I have used it in several places without thinking there is a grip issue. If it also doesn’t lock the tailstock over the same part of the lathe bed then you know that this is the issue.

Either ask for the whole lathe to be replaced or get your money back.

I would get your money back as lathe is not fit for purpose and look at second hand, there is not much to go wrong on a lathe, and you get much better value for money. Keep in mind there could be some additional costs, such as replacing bearings. I'm on my 5th second hand lathe now, just one replacement motor needed, and all needed a bit of a clean & maintenance. The maintenance allowed me to learn how the machine was bolted together so was time well spent.
Andy

I would get your money back as lathe is not fit for purpose and look at second hand, there is not much to go wrong on a lathe, and you get much better value for money. Keep in mind there could be some additional costs, such as replacing bearings. I'm on my 5th second hand lathe now, just one replacement motor needed, and all needed a bit of a clean & maintenance. The maintenance allowed me to learn how the machine was bolted together so was time well spent.
Andy
On your 5th second hand lathe does not sound like a recommendation?

Back