Axminster AC355WL fault

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starflyer

Reaction score
Hello,

First time poster here, I've searched here and on Google and can't find any suggestions to help me troubleshoot my problem.

I've turned, albeit infrequently, for a few years now. I own the lathe in the subject and it's just short of a year old. I've turned a couple of bowls on it and used it yesterday to start a table lamp base, I'd say it's had less than ten hours use in total.

Yesterday I set up a nice piece of Eucalyptus that I'd been given a couple of years ago and rounded it off and put a tenon on it ready to remount. I'd just about finished the tenon, switched it off to measure it and it wouldn't restart. All this had been done at slow speed, starting at ~ 250, going up to ~ 450rpm.

I have power to the socket, I've checked the fuse and the power lead and I have power at the end of the lead. I hear the contactor clicking in when I press start but there's no other sign of life and the speed display remains off. I checked the carbon brush on the front side of the motor and as expected it barely shows any sign of wear, I'd need to move the lathe to check the one on the back so I haven't done this yet but will do it needed.

I just wanted to check with the knowledgeable folks here if there's anything else I can check before calling Axminster support. I'm disappointed as I thought I'd get the chance to do more turning with the current lockdown, but reassured by the fact that my searches bring up almost nothing related to problems with this lathe.

Cheers
Ian

Don't know the lathe.
Does the stop button have a latched position that needs releasing?
Or maybe it's just stuck in.

No, it's a variable speed lathe with simple on and off buttons and a speed dial, and however the electronics work I can hear the contactor clicking in and out when I press start and stop. I don't think anything's stuck from the sounds it's making.

Do you know if it's a DC motor? If you can find out the specs of the motor I would try connecting it to another power source such as a car battery and try to establish whether the motor runs ok without the controller. If it does then most likely suspect is the controller, which does not look like it would be DIY repairable.

Hopefully only one year from purchase Axminster will replace or repair it. But yes it's a shame to be on lockdown and not be able to use it!

Thanks for your reply, I don't want to start pulling it apart, I've contacted Axminster support and will post back here when I have an update from them.

Cheers,
Ian

Quick update...

Axminster support have been great, they collected the lathe and diagnosed a faulty power / control box next day. The lathe will be delivered back to me next Wednesday, overall I've had a great support experience from axminster.

Latest posts

Back