Axminster AC355wl centres

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanglefoot20

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all....I am wonder g if anyone has come across a problem whereby the headstock and tailstock centres do not line up....( front to back )....I have looked closely and it could be the fact that the guide of tailstock could do with about 0.015” removed from the front side of location pad...If I hold a cylinder in a chuck it runs ok...but offering the tailstock up with a centre it is offset....is it possible the headstock needs resetting to accommodate?

Thanks for any replies

Steve

Hello.... no not yet....will try..the centre height is good....it’s as though the tailstock centre needs to be rotated anti clockwise to pull it into line..

I had the AC240 and it suffered from a similar issue. The tailstock was a very loose fit in the bed ways channel, so much that the centres could line up or be off to either side. I did email Axminster and got a reply basically saying its a cheap lathe so loose tolerances have to be expected.

Hello all....I am wonder g if anyone has come across a problem whereby the headstock and tailstock centres do not line up....( front to back )....I have looked closely and it could be the fact that the guide of tailstock could do with about 0.015” removed from the front side of location pad...If I hold a cylinder in a chuck it runs ok...but offering the tailstock up with a centre it is offset....is it possible the headstock needs resetting to accommodate?

Thanks for any replies

Steve
I have the same lathe, when i first got the lathe all qas good. However I have removed tge tailstock a number of times so I will check later

Hi Paul... would be interesting to see what you find...try loading a drill chuck and centre a 10” cylinder......mine seems to get worse over the bed length.
It could be the headstock needs mo no a tad as well

Hi Paul... would be interesting to see what you find...try loading a drill chuck and centre a 10” cylinder......mine seems to get worse over the bed length.
It could be the headstock needs mo no a tad as well
I have taken a couple of photos and shows slightly out of alignment. I have the lathe mounted on a stand and I will try adjusting the legs. Not touched it since i installed in january

Attachments

• 20210516_112828.jpg
    20210516_112828.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 20210516_112918.jpg
    20210516_112918.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 13
After re reading my previous, I hope it wasn't taken as me calling your cheap. That wasn't my intention, that's the reply I got from Axminster.
I used to have a craft 240 lathe and found it to be very good. I was initially worried about the misalignment but read in many places that it wasn't that big an issue. I think the only time it could cause an issue is when drilling.

That looks similar to mine...I think the tailstock location pad needs a few thou taken off the offending side....in my case to the front edge. As long as it’s pulled forward to locate on lathe bed I think it will be ok. If not I could always add a thin strip on the rear side to compensate...bit like a gib strip on a crossslide...

That looks similar to mine...I think the tailstock location pad needs a few thou taken off the offending side....in my case to the front edge. As long as it’s pulled forward to locate on lathe bed I think it will be ok. If not I could always add a thin strip on the rear side to compensate...bit like a gib strip on a crossslide...
Yes that will likely resolve the issue. I will keep an eye on it but I think its acceptable for what I'm doing at the moment. I do have a lesson tomorrow and will have a look at his lathe.

Back