AXMINSTER 2006 SHOW SHOCKER

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philly

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All
Just heard on the grape-vine that there is to be NO Tools 2006 next year! :shock:
No more details yet, sorry, but this is a definite. :cry:
Hope it had nothing to do with me not spending my usual amount.............. :?
Philly :(

Philly...you should be ashamed of yourself. I mean, single handedly shutting down a show! :lol:

Well, I thought there was something wrong in my universe...Philly not having a gloat for a while...and where are these phantom saws???

Take care, Mike

Philly I did not know you had such an effect but one of the suppliers told me that their Tool 2005 sales were 15% down on the previous year.

If above turns out to be the decision of Axminster I think you can put the problem down to Fuel and entry costs having some bearing.
Some visitors travel costs must be up over 25% on previous years.
Anyway I prefer a personal visit to their showrooms which is like an Aladdins cave :)

Just heard the same myself, although I was going to check to see it wasn't a misunderstanding; guess I needn't bother. It's a tragedy; the only opportunity to see all the major hand tool movers and shakers in one place - gone. :cry: Not to mention my annual holiday gone down the proverbial. :cry: :cry: Darn, it's at times like this I wish I did the lottery - a nice sizeable win and a cry of "let's do the show right here" and we'd be set. Heigh ho.

Depressed, Alf

Cheer up Alf :)

Think of the expenses saved means you will more to spend and mail order always accept returns(if reasonable) so you could try out all the brands.

With Axminster not on in '06 (more likely to be every other year now) there's alway Cologne, Atlanta or Vegas....

Noel, off to cancel the hotel in Exmouth.

The Atlanta show is the only one that will suit you, in my view. Vegas and Cologne are viewing shows where there is very little to buy.

Martin

cologne now theres an idea i doubt it would cost much more to fly there as it did for me to drive to exeter. Vegas would be fun though not much use if i wanted to spend on power tools.

Martin

Can you expand on their reasons for the decision? Who wasn't it working for?

Cheers

Tim

This news is something that I think has been coming for a while now. I've been going to their shows since the days when it used to be held in Axminster Guildhall. Over the years the size increased whilst the range of manufacturers (machinery) seemed to get ever smaller. This years show, apart from the quality hand tools, seemed to have run down to more of a DIY level rather than for serious hobbyist and small trader.
Cheers, David

devonwoody":mpcosuj4 said:
Think of the expenses saved means you will more to spend and mail order always accept returns(if reasonable) so you could try out all the brands.
And if that was the reason for going, I agree, it wouldn't be much loss.

Cheers, Alf

This is totally unfair, I vote for the Atlanta show, any other takers.

A few years ago I went to a WW show in Toronto, thats was really big, maybe that's an option?

Personally, I blame Waka for not going to Axminster this year. :wink:
Just joking, Tony :wink:

MikeW":1acop9zy said:
Well, I thought there was something wrong in my universe...Philly not having a gloat for a while...and where are these phantom saws???
Fear not Mike-gloatage awaits! 8)
Cheers
Philly :D

Quoted from a letter received this morning from Axminster:

'...In view of the lower than anticipated numbers attending and after a great deal of deliberation we have decided to take a break from hosting a show next year, but intend to organise one the year after...'

Personally speaking, we had a good show at Axminster this year but I feel that many of the other shows being held are looking tired and jaded and could do with being held every other year.

I've just cancelled our hotel too for next year!

This news is a real bummer. I reckon - feeling perhaps a mite cynical here(?) that Axminster's inability to agree terms with the likes of Scheppach just might have had something to do with it.

Personally, I reckon they are nuts to give someone else the chance to leap into the breech. The Alexandra Palace show is a natural to replace it - a big venue in London - which love it or not is rather more central and easier for most than Exeter.

I know the dilemma Axminster face - my spell in the motor industry and calculating the cost/benefit of motorshows taught me that much and having said that, I don't know the first thing about Axminster's thinking and it is their business, I am just sorry I won't be able to meet you lot there next year.

Can we nominate a show where most of us would be happy to turn up?

Well this is a bummer. :evil:
I only managed to get there this year and enjoyed the show, but thinking about it, it was the people that made it for me. Meeting up with so many of you, face to face. Talking with Rob Lee and David Charlesworth. The hand tools where quite well represented but on the normite front I did think it was a bit thin on the ground.

I went to Ally Pally last year and will be trying to get there next year but it was some what lacking compared to Axminster. I hope somewhere picks up the challenge.

What a bummer! - I couldn't go this year so I had already pencilled in a trip to Blighty in Nov. '06 - Oh well, have to think about somewhere else. I have heard that the Cologne show is massive with everyone of any significance being there. As some have already said these days you could fly there for less than the cost of petrol to Axminster.

Back