AXMINSTER 2006 SHOW SHOCKER

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You've got to have a dream
If you don't have a dream
How you gonna have a dream come true?

Andy

Alf":239vdtot said:
I Did anyone get any of the power lot proffering an impact driver or something and saying "have a go"?

I did - I tried 1 Metabo and 3 Festool sanders before getting the Metabo at a good, if not great price.
Like all people I like to find bargains, but I'd rather get the product I want at a reasonable price rather than something not quite what I want just because it was a bargain...

I also enjoyed the show - but maybe if I hadn't been able to try what I was after I wouldn't have so much.

What is a little annoying is that the young lad who took my money for a Lie-Nielsen (Glenn-Drake) TiteMark said I'd have it in a week - the lovely Amanda on the Axminter telephone apologised profusely and said Christmas was more likely. If the lad didn't know why couldn't he say so... :roll:

Pete

TC wrote;

I've been in the trade for 40 years, and the reason that i don't go to Axminster, Stoneleigh etc, is because the last thing that i want to have to do is fight my way through umpteen DIY.ers, with wives and kids in tow, just getting in the bloody way!

Don't be an silly person all your life. Why shouldn't umpteen DIY'ers have a chance to see what the trade does for one Sunday?

I'm in the trade and i can tell you the so called DIY'ers on this website, have answered more questions and given me more advice than any other tradesmen on any other site i have been too. So i would be only to willing to fight my through them. No thats wrong, i wouldn't be fighting my way through, i would be stopping to have a chat and put a face to their name.

Lighten up mate their not a bad bunch.

Regards

Woody

TC":20lttox2 said:
How many of you that have the words "furniture maker"in your avatar actually are in the trade? and how many are just dreamers?
TC

TC,

When you have been on these forums for a little longer you will start to realise that the description on the avatars is related to the number of posts, not some personal description of one's abilities. You may also start to realise that there are some people here who turn out work that is at least as good as most professionals even though they are 'not in the trade'. In many cases probably better because they do not have the constraints of having to earn a living from it.

Andrew

Andy wrote:

that is at least as good as most professionals

Too right Andy. I've seen many times the work of 'professionals' (ie. the manual trades) that leaves a great deal to be desired. After all the term only means that one makes ones living out of a particular activity, not that the results meet high standards.

IME, trade 'professionals' can be unhelpful, even downright patronizing sometimes, to others they regard as not being 'in the know', or 'not one of us'.

In stark contrast to the ethos on this forum, TC, so stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

Ike

Aww, guys. I was so proud of you all being able to explain the ethos of this forum without resorting to name-calling, and you go and let me down! I'm sure TC has got the gist by now; let him slink quietly into a corner and muse on the error of his ways in peace. And please, please, please can we avoid the pro/am divide? There is no "us" and "them"; we're all simply woodworkers on here.

Cheers, Alf

alf its not fair this lot have just spoilt it for me :cry: i thought i was a furniture maker slowly working my way to becoming a master furniture maker :D :D :D and now i am just a d i y er :cry: :cry: :cry: gill can i go in the bunker to have a good cry :-({|= :-({|= sad music playing in the background .sniff sniff

frank

There, there, Frank. If it's any consolation, I'm a master furniture maker despite having only ever made one piece of furniture :lol:.

I don't mind being called an amateur; I wouldn't mind being called semi-pro and it wouldn't bother me if I was a professional or not. Just don't call me a 'DIYer' :x - I'm a woodworker and my scrolling is as valid in that context as the works of anyone on this forum.

Gill

Wandering a bit off topic I know, but seeing as the subject has been raised.......

So now I'm wondering, just what is a DIYer? See, I do turning, not always from wood, and other forms of woodwork, from which I derive a lot of pleasure in developing my skills and satisfaction from producing the end result. I also do much work around my home, equally valid, which would probably be classed as 'DIY' but which invariable involves using woodworking and other skills to produce a result better than that which might be achieved by a time-constrained 'tradesman'.

During a recent project, as well as rectifying previous faults and poor workmanship left by tradesmen (and, of course, I do understand that there are very good tradesmen as well as poor ones), I had to use both woodworking hand tools and machinery, as well as masonry, plastering, leccy and decorating tools. Some careful measuring and marking out was called for and at one stage I had to cut coving and skirting at angles of 67.5 and 68.5 degrees to achieve a good fit.

Anyway, as a DIY effort, I transformed this:

trevtheturner-drawingroom1.JPG

and this (carefully trying to avoid the rogues gallery):

trevtheturner-drawingroom2.JPG

into this:

trevtheturner-drawingroom3.JPG

and this:

trevtheturner-drawingroom4.JPG

So, really can see nowt wrong with a bit of DIY, and I don't mind being called a DIYer, along with of all the other things I'm called from time to time! :wink: (It looks better now that the pictures are hung and the other bits and bobs are in place. Next is to make a central coffee table together with some matching side tables).

Cheers,

Trev. - the DIY woodturning woodworker.

I wasn't taking a pop at DIYers, Trev - I appreciate what is involved, being up to my eyeballs in that sort of stuff right now myself. I just thought it rather patronising and condescending to use the term in such a context. To my mind, it was a bit like comparing a charcutier to a butcher, or a racing driver to a moped rider.

By the way, the room looks good :). You'll soon have more time to spend in the workshop ;) .

Gill

PS Go on, Chas ... that looks like a candidate for the Rogues Gallery :) .

Gill":3dq08fqm said:
I wasn't taking a pop at DIYers, Trev

Of course not Gill, and I never assumed for one moment that you were. :wink: 'Pologies if I gave that impression. :oops: And I do agree with you! :D

Just saw the mention of 'DIYer' as an 'in' to show off a little job that I ended up quite pleased with (having used a few woodworking skills, of course)! :oops: :oops:

Good luck with the kitchen - I reckon that's one of the worst to have to do because it is one that you cannot do without using daily along the way.

Cheers,

Trev.

trev you covered up that wooden floor with a carpet [-X [-X did you splash some paint on it when you painted the ceiling :D :D :lol: to help when you next paint a ceiling stick the roller on a brush pole and show the wife how easy it is to do,then leave her to do it \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ =D> =D>

frank

frank":1t3azlu7 said:
trev you covered up that wooden floor with a carpet [-X [-X did you splash some paint on it when you painted the ceiling :D :D :lol:

I know, it looks bad doesn't it? We inherited that floor, and if you had seen it close up you would have seen why it had to be carpeted. As you can see, it was made up of those small oak blocks, laid in 'squares' of five at a time. Unfortunately, it had been appallingly laid - much of it was loose and there were many 'squares' out of alignment and with quite large gaps, some as much as 3-4mm, all over the place. It was awful!! The choice was either to get a garden spade and shovel up the lot, or leave it as a bit of extra insulation over the concrete base - so we left it.

I originally suggested that the room would make a decent, light workshop - but I got a bit of resistance to that idea! :roll: :roll:

I do have a roller extension pole, but daren't let LOML loose with that. She is one of those who suddenly turns up after much time has been spent on all the preparation and says, "Oh, can I help with some painting?' :roll: So I let her do the skirting boards. :twisted:

Cheers,

Trev.

Gill":3ss77y89 said:
...snip...
PS Go on, Chas ... that looks like a candidate for the Rogues Gallery :) .

Unfortunately Gill, Trevor has taken the precaution of compressing the image to the point that it is difficult to blow up adequately; in the iterests of keeping the file size down of course :) but being as you prompted :twisted:

But one of these days.....

What you can't see in the pic are Trev's massive stacked heels which allow him to paint the ceiling like that. Otherwise he is king of the skirting boards.

Cheers

Tim

Back