AXMINSTER 2006 SHOW SHOCKER

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must admit to not going this year. Unfortunately for me the show was becoming too 'white' and I would prefer to see more of a range of colours!

Stoneleigh Park (near Coventry) Show next October? Decent venue, pretty central, and nothing white in sight! And good, large and roomy adjoining refreshments area for a meet-up. :wink:

Cheers,

Trev.

Cologne show - can someone enlighten me and send me a URL ?

It's so close to me and we even have a high speed train link.
Plus if there are any other UKWers there I'd be happy to host our very own beerfest
Pity about the Axminster show I have been debating for a few years now of hoping in Easy Jet and coming to see for myself. Well 2007 it will have to be.

Cologne is entirely the wrong show if you want to replace Axminster, especially if you want to buy. It is a show where manufacturers sell to shops. Some end users turn up however you have to hunt out the interesting stuff. Not sure anyone can just stroll up and get in.

Atlanta would be the best. Great place, loads of interesting kit you don't see here.

Martin

Sheesh, chaps. I can bearly get a visa to get to Devon. Cologne? Atlanta? Heck, I don't even have a passport! :shock:

Can I urge any Westcountry members to pencil in the Southwest Forest Wood Fair for the second Saturday (I think) in July? It's not that big, I know, but there are hand tools ancient and modern for sale, DC was there last year, Mike Abbot, etc etc. And it does have the benefit of being on at a slightly more pleasant time of the year. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Cheer up folks - Yandles are still looking to be running their two shows next year. Tools and the very necessary wood on one free site.
Cheers, David

:D I like yandells it was my first time this year and i found it to be realy good ,been back there to get some oak for a table saw mobile base and it was the same frindly service (and the cafe was nice too) so all is not lost and for those visiting the devon for the summer or kent there is always axminster tools ( mind you will miss brimac through) :wink:

Martyn

Can't help but think that the sales downturn is Axminster's own failing.

Obviously, I can only speak from my own experience but I went to this with the express intention of either trying products I was interested in buying (with a view to buy if positive) and also to see what deals were on offer.

Most of the Axminster stuff (that I looked at) was only priced as it was in the catalogue (or published offer prices). There weren't enough Axminster demonstrators to go round and those that I came across seemed to lack enthusiasm and excitement - not I must add the same as the sales desk girls and info desk people who couldn't have been better.

Contrast this with the other stands eg Brimarc, Festool, Chestnut, Bessey etc who were enthusiastic, offering deals and were in general well resourced staff wise.

I don't know if its correct but I imagine its possible that the other traders had a much better show in percentage sales than APTC did.

The other factor is that I think its 'white' brand has dropped markedly in quality over the past three years, coupled with the fact that most 'regulars' will have known about the 'APTC machinery only' focus and it stops being such an exciting draw - hence lower gate numbers.

Greediness and lack of consumer awareness has caused them to fail here. Sadly, its our loss as well.

Cheers

Tim

I rather agree with you Tim. Of course I am older and wiser and more cynical than when I first came across Axminster but way back then (at least 10 years ago) they had a glamour and excitement that is totally lacking now. The stuff they sold was certainly not the cheapest but it was very good and not easily obtainable elsewhere - often the only alternative was to order from the USA. They appeared never to cut corners on quality and their own stuff was still mostly a gleam in their eye. Then they started to drop the major manufacturers from their catalogue in favour of their own gear (never seeming quite as good or exciting), their QC slipped badly on a number of occasions and suddenly their flyers were indistinguishable from Screwfix.

The shows' pricing policies are a mystery to me. There used to be a 10% discount across the board that got dropped about three years ago - that would have paid at least the transport and quite possibly an overnight stay for many people but now - adding up transport and hotels - the show is just very expensive for most who attend so what is the incentive?? There are not enough demos or other manufacturers to tempt people into making the long trek to Exeter and if they can buy the stuff cheaper off the internet, they'd be nuts to go - right?

This year, I bought no Axminster stuff and only a few things anyway so I was probably the kind of customer they don't need. I did spend on transport, two nights stay in a hotel and enjoyed every minute, mainly because I got to meet a bunch of folk and see stuff, particularly some of the demos that I can't easily see elsewhere. I would be happy to do the same again at any venue really and a starting to think seriously about Atlanta!

I know this is a little off topic, but when I visit a show, it is because I want to compare products from different suppliers. If the supplier variety is not there I'm not able to do this. Given the very few retail outlets that stock and display, very soon buying by picture is all that will be left?

I'm right in agreement with Tim and echo Freetochat's sentiments too. For me, Axminster's shows peaked at Shepton Mallet. The move to Exeter was the start of a slippery slope, as it appeared that venue costs, etc. crippled any chance of show pricing.

Why would anyone travel hundreds of miles to buy something they could get delivered for the same price? The answer might be "to try/touch/compare" - but as the options for comparison diminish, interest in attending takes the same route (for me, at least).

I went to Exeter last year, but was so immediately disappointed that I knew I wouldn't go again. Like others, I think that Ally Pally is a better bet, but it will have to pull its socks up to get a "best show" vote from me - last year I couldn't even buy a gallon of glue - there were only DIY-size containers on sale.

I don't expect much - oh, hang on - yes, I do! :)

Ray.

These comments are made from a supplier to Axminster, however I do believe I have done enough shows to know I have some objectivity left.

I didn't hear one single negative comment about the show whilst I was there. To be fair we were quite busy with many customers.

Frankly we (consumers/suppliers) are lucky that the biggest consumer show of it's type in Europe is in the UK. It may change it's frequency however it is a good woodworking show for many consumers. I know the Axminster team work hard to make it an interesting show.

It may be a contradiction that the market leading machinery supplier runs the biggest show however there are many such contradictions in commerce. Why are the other show so much smaller? Probably because Axminster have done such a good job.

I am obliged to comment too on the Axminster staff. Some of the comments above do not reflect my experience. I may be a supplier, however it is clear by the way you see the same APTC faces every year that they are a good employer with good people.

Martin

Overall I enjoyed the show. Sure, from a tool brand point of view there wasn't as much there as in Shepton Mallet days but it was just as big although obviously more white as each year passes.
Personally I don't go to shows to buy, although if the notion takes me and the right deal can be struck deals are done.
Bear in mind that I (and 4 hangers on) have to fly there, hire a car, book a hotel for 2 or 3 nights, feed and entertain (there was a lot of that..) ourselves and maybe buy the odd tool etc so it was a big commitment time-wise, not to mention the financial side of things.
The show, more-so the occasion, was time well spent. It was well organised, all the staff were more than friendly and were all very helpful. Considering that standing on your feet for 3 days answering questions from punters can be very taxing I reckon the exhibitors and staff did a find job.
As previous posts have alluded to it's more than touchy feely retail therapy, it's meeting people, discussing tool related and other issues that can never be done over the phone or through email.
Granted, it would be better if there was a wider selection of manufacturers but for what was there and for the people that were there it was a worthwhile trip.
I've been to Ally Pally a couple of times and frankly would not return. Too small, little if any manufacturer representation, few if any demonstrations and too many Saturday morning market type of stalls. Glasgow last year was small but enjoyable and have yet to visit D & M at Kempton. The only other show I've visited was Woodcut at Wembley some years ago and it was excellent. By most accounts Harrogate and Stoneleigh were disappointing. Perhaps next year all the shows should get together and have one major event in an accessible part of the UK and all the manufacturers and importers present. Guess the exhibition organizers mightn't be too happy but it would certainly be something I'd attend.

End of ramble

Noel

Martin Brown":2jwmzxz4 said:
I am obliged to comment too on the Axminster staff. Some of the comments above do not reflect my experience. I may be a supplier, however it is clear by the way you see the same APTC faces every year that they are a good employer with good people.

Having looked back through the thread, it appears that I was the only one to mention Axminster staff so it seems that I may have been misinterpreted. For clarity, I do not dispute your points, in fact, I have never had anything but praise for sales and technical staff at Axminster when dealing with them in the past. The very fact that the sales girls remembered me from last year and the concerned call I received out of hours to make sure that I had got my replacment ticket for one lost in the post is enough to keep me loyal through any minor difficulties that may arise from time to time (although I am struggling to think of any).

I buy regularly from them (and will continue to do so) - I placed an order this week for some stuff

However, as a comparison to other companies that were exhibiting, some of the staff managing the APTC stands that I asked questions to would reply with 'don't know' rather than 'don't know but I'll find out' which was the standard on other stands I dealt with. At a show branded with their name where their products are dominant I do think that this was a shame.

You may not have heard any negative comments Martin (and I am not surprised given what was going on in your area!) but most conversations I had or heard were peppered with 'not as good as last year; not enough big manufacturers etc etc.

Cheers

Tim

I've never been to the Axminster show so I can't comment. I nearly went this year but the time & cost for me made it unrealistic. It's a hell of a long way from here.
But I have been to Stoneleigh for the past 2 years and the Harrogate show for the same 2 years.

When I first went to Stoneleigh I liked it for the demo's and exhibits which were to an incredibly high standard, but I found the tools etc disappointing like others have mentioned and there were also a few empty stands and spaces.
When I went this year there were MORE empty stands and floor space which was very noticable. At Harrogate it was the same story but not quite as bad as Stoneliegh there were more resellers this year.
Certainly Stoneleigh IMHO is in decline and to a lesser extent is Harrogate.

I like Harrogate for the excellent demos and exhibits from the various woodworking clubs and colleges. I went to the Ally Pally also this year and was suprised with it being in London how small it was and it lacked big manufacturers etc.

Which brings me to the conclusion that woodworking is in decline hence the low attendance figure mentioned. But this doesn't fit with related woodworking press announcements that DIY and woodworking in general is on an all time high in relation to purchases and enquires at Colleges etc.

My own personal view here is that the high fees being asked by the various exhibition venues and by the event organizers is hurting the various traders who wish to book stall space. And the logistical costs of getting their displays setup (which must be considerable for some).

This was brought home to me at Harrogate when I learned from very reliable sources what it cost 4 different companies in floor space, it was certainly an eye opener/popper/shock (take your pick).

I noticed some members posting about the lack of show offers etc and this may well be the reason why there aren't many show deals anymore.

But on a brighter note there's the big one next year WOODMEX 2006
And Atlanta, can we get a block booking on admission & flights ? :D :D Better book a cargo flight for the return trip though :D

I'd like to join Martin by standing up for Axminster too...

(I'd also like to apologise for this being a little disjointed; I've been interrupted several times whilst writing this and I think it shows!)

Shows have been on a downward spiral this year, and my feeling is that attendance has been down at all of the shows I've been to (not that the organisers would admit it); I felt that the exception to this was the Axminster show which seemed to be well supported. However, a number of the posts in this thread say 'I didn't go this year' and a show doesn't work without customers! Of course, there needs to be something there for the customers to look at, it's a vicious circle but I'd have thought that there is enough at this show to keep most people interested.

Let's not forget, whatever it is called, this is the Axminster show we are talking about and should be seen as an extension of their shop. It's not cynical to say that they hold the show for two main reasons; to make money and to promote their brand, so they don't have to invite other manufacturers to the show; there are plenty of other shows for other manufacturers after all, it's not like a monopoly with no other option.

A point was made that the number of demonstrators has dropped, but there is apparently a reason for this which, if what I've heard is true (and it came from a good source) I don't blame Axminster for making this decision. However, I'd still reckon that this show has the best choice of demonstrators of any show in the UK.

Ultimately I'm sure this is a financial decision; running a show of this size must be a very expensive operation and the staff costs (I'm not sure but I'd reckon a lot of the people there are drafted in just for the show) alone must be huge.
Personally, I don't go to shows looking for bargains; I want to look at things, handle them, try them, ask questions about them etc. If a company can offer a huge discount at a show having spent a small fortune to be there (stand costs, electrics, hotels etc) I'd have to wonder why they can't offer that price all year round when they don't have those costs!

On the subject of 'show offers'... we don't give them for one simple reason. If we cut our prices it shows a lack of support for our stockists who are trying to make a living all year from selling our products and others. I know that shops wouldn't miss the sale of the odd bottle of polish here and there, but if everyone at shows tried to encourage sales at shows by giving money off then shops won't stock these products because they can't sell them. Many shops would close, further limiting choice and imagine running out of a product halfway through a job and being unable to buy any more until the next show, which could be months away!

As I've said earlier in this thread, it woudn't hurt for some shows to be held every other year; there are more than enough shows held during the year and surely there can't be new things to see at all of them?

I feel that the people at Axminster have got it wrong - what has changed is that the internet now allows us to view the technical details and pictures of products and what we want is to toch & feel and better still to use the tools - at least the people demonstrating should be users of the product. At the D&M show I got my hands on two nail guns and a number of drill/drivers to use.
There were two outside stands that encouraged you to use their kit
The D&M show lacked the number of suppliers that were at Axminster.
Most people at Axminster show wanted to talk about their product but not to demonstart them - I can read this detail on the internet

Back