Axminster 1950B vs Record Power BS250?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomeyJay

Established Member
Reaction score
I realise that I need to get a bandsaw soon and I’ve seen both of these but I’m absolutely torn about which one to get. They’re both nearly the same price, size and quality (at least to look at) so which one do I get?
The Axminster seems to have a more powerful motor but the RP has a 5 year warranty.
Has anyone else had to make the same choice or can anyone help with any advice please?

You pays yer money and you takes yer choice.

I have dealt with axminster for 5 years now and can fully recommend their service and responses. I tried to deal with record once.......... :roll:
Others might have an alternative solution.

First, be sure on what you want the bandsaw for and make sure that this size of bandsaw is adequate for now and in the future. Manufacturers tend to overstate their capabilities so get something that can do more than you need.

If possible go and visit a shop and ask to be able to change the blade, don’t let the assistant do it but get them to guide you. Adjust the guides and height and see how easy it is, setting blade tension etc. Change the cutting height, does it stay true and square. Ideally take a piece of wood with you and see how well it cuts. Axminster will let you do this and my local Record dealer is also happy to help as well.

If you go the record route try and buy from a local dealer, that way you deal with them with Record Power as a backup if anything goes wrong. Axminster have fewer stores but their mail order customer service is excellent.

When I was looking at this size I though the 1950B had the edge over the BS250 but now realise that neither was actually up to what I needed. Bandsaws are very flexible and I quickly found I was using it a lot more than I thought, particularly resawing. I note that the 1950 is now £320 and the bs250 is £260 at one of their dealer shows, £60 buys several tuff saw blades!

Richard

I have the RP Bs300 and to be honest I'm a bit disappointed with the blade guides. I also agree with sunny bob that after sales service is important and in this regard Axminster have a good reputation.
Regards, Paul

In the seven years I have had my RP350 I have never had to deal with Record Power, which speaks for itself, the only bit of insight I can give is buy the best you can afford, if I was buying today it would be one of RP's Sabre range, if only for the correctly engineered and oriented blade guides.

I happen to be on holiday this week and drove through Axminster today so persuaded my partner to look round the town whilst I popped into the Axminster store. I had a good look at all the craft bandsaws and also the AT2552B trade bandsaw which is a direct competitor to the Record Sabre 350 which is is my current favourite to buy.

But to answer your original question looking in detail at the 1950B it has a missing tube welded on the back when compared to the next craft model up, this significantly reduces the rigidity of the frame, must have saved them a fiver... Also the ceramic guides are much smaller than the next model up too which seems a cost saving too far. Finally the height adjustment on all the craft saws is cheap and totally fails to keep alignment during adjustment.

What I’m hopefully saying here is you must visit a store to see these things for yourself, you can really see where the cost savings have been made. For your application this may be fine but only you can make that judgement.

Richard

RichardG":29n0vz5z said:
AT1950B it has a missing tube welded on the back
I had the same version from the previous Hobby range and I was interested in the "improvements" made in this and other Craft models. You assume that improvements will be made, otherwise why change anything? One Chinese factory to another perhaps? The fragile looking frame and ceramic thrust supports just suggest "extreme cost savings". I do worry that the ceramic stuff will be almost impossible to source once the range is again updated, so built in obsolescence (or a license to print money).
"you must visit a store to see these things for yourself
You have to take some wood with you and try them out in the store, ideally with the blade that will be supplied. The range of quoted blade widths will be better understood by what they want to supply with it e.g. can't assume the widest blade can be used if the frame can't provide the required tension for a good result. In the old Hobby range, they supplied 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" and 5/8" across the range (may be different now). It's like quoting capacity and later finding out they meant it can be used to cut polystyrene.
Record Power Sabre 350 which is is my current favourite
It works really well with no complaints, and for me at least, the extra cost over the BS350S is justified by the many small improvements e.g. some steps forward by Record Power (in Europe) and Rikon (in USA) like the tool-less roller blade guides and cam adjusted fence. Even the RP 5/8" blade isn't "junk" and cuts cleanly.

Well, there’s absolutely no way I can stretch to the bs350 without a major clash with my other half so it’s either the bs250 / Ax 1950b or something else like a Charnwood something or other at that £350 ish max price.
£350 or my dangly bits.. :shock:

My RP350 cost £400.00 second hand off a member on here, have you looked in the for sale section?

HomeyJay":36jvxucb said:
Well, there’s absolutely no way I can stretch to the bs350 without a major clash with my other half so it’s either the bs250 / Ax 1950b or something else like a Charnwood something or other at that £350 ish max price.
£350 or my dangly bits.. :shock:

Both saws work within their limits, if your application fits within those limits then you’ll be happy. However, I think the 1950 has been cheapened too much which means it will need setting up every time you change the cut height and/or change the blade tension.

I agree with Mike though, a used saw is the way to go, if you’re not in a rush and happy to travel to collect £350 will buy you a reasonable saw.

RichardG":3qm2shoh said:
HomeyJay":3qm2shoh said:
I think the 1950 has been cheapened too much which means it will need setting up every time you change the cut height and/or change the blade tension.
If it's like the Hobby version, then yes - you alter the blade tension then you have to adjust the position of the blade on the crown. Perhaps they all do this at this price point. When you vary the height the left/right bearing only require a slight adjustment, but for an aluminium column (vs steel) they are better than they look. Has the motor power been increased e.g. some things are "cheap" but for the same money the power "increased" or has there been power inflation of the spec - too easy to quote input power when they might also mean output power? (Just a theory).

Back