Axminster 1628VS lathe head and tail stock alignment.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Phil Pascoe":xgdk3h01 said:
The RSPCA will be after him if he puts a mandrill in his chuck. :lol:
Just proving that men can't multitask :oops:

Hi J-G

I wouldn’t ever consider trying to turn a pen blank on a mandrel unsecured the tailstock end. As you say, that would be disastrous, if not extremely dangerous. I have the kit to turn blanks between centres, but I think I need a bit more skill and experience to do it successfully.
Thanks for your advice.
D

Democritus":1a96j7so said:
Hi J-G

I wouldn’t ever consider trying to turn a pen blank on a mandrel unsecured the tailstock end. As you say, that would be disastrous, if not extremely dangerous. I have the kit to turn blanks between centres, but I think I need a bit more skill and experience to do it successfully.
Thanks for your advice.
D

I'm very pleased to hear that - it was just your being 'intrigued' -- and that you are at an 'early learning' stage -- that prompted me to consider that you might :)

In case you weren't aware, Ax sell a lathe alignment centre tool for sorting out this sort of issue. I have the same lathe and every time I switch from bowl turning to work 'twixt centres I use said tool to align both the centres. I've never had any problems - Rob

I missed this thread, I have a Jet 1642, and I thought it was misaligned as well, it wasn't (well, it was, but not due the machining being at fault) even though the bed is a strong cast iron construction, it can still twist, so the alignment was out due to the bed not being perfectly level, the answer was to adjust the feet until the headstock and tailstock were in proper alignment, then all was as it should be. Perhaps you lathe has a similar arrangement?

Thanks, Kim and Woodbloke,
I have an Axminster alignment tool which I have used to try to sort this problem out. It seems to work ok for most issues, but not for fine point alignment. Maybe I’m not holding my mouth right!
Kim, it’s interesting that you suggest adjusting the legs on the lathe. You will know from this thread that someone suggested that to me some time ago, but I didn’t want to start messing with them until I had tried other solutions. I will definitely put a level on the bed to see if it is out.
Thanks once again.
Best wishes
D.

Back