Axminster 1628 v/s woodlathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

renderer01

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello again folks,
And thanks for advice given so far. I have I think decided on the Axminster Trade Series AT1628VS it seems a well setup and competent lathe at a price thats more than I budgeted for but is very reasonable for what you get. Does anyone here disagree or have knowledge that its not a good lathe? have other recommendations?

Im all in a sweat about spending money ooh and I feel all giddy.

thanks. Rend.

That lathe is on my want list.. It had originally been a toss up between the expensive Killinger lathe and the even more expensive Wivamac. Then Axi introduced the 1628 which, as far as I can acertain, is a rebadged killinger ( = pretty damn good ! )

Hi have you seen the Mike Waldt review on you tube for the 1628 v/s Mikes a great guy and worth watching

renderer01":85cl8xvi said:
Hello again folks,
And thanks for advice given so far. I have I think decided on the Axminster Trade Series AT1628VS it seems a well setup and competent lathe at a price thats more than I budgeted for but is very reasonable for what you get. Does anyone here disagree or have knowledge that its not a good lathe? have other recommendations?

Im all in a sweat about spending money ooh and I feel all giddy.

thanks. Rend.

This is my first ever post but I've been on other forum sites & I'm sure this is a new thread. I'm confused about this lathe as I can't find it anywhere, even on the axminster site. Cheers

Its on the Axminster site for sure as Axminster trade series AT1628 v/s woodturning lathe.

Just checked.

r
Rend

renderer01":316cbh3b said:
Its on the Axminster site for sure as Axminster trade series AT1628 v/s woodturning lathe.

Just checked.

r
Rend

Yep, I found it now. I was just looking at the pics & thought it would be on a stand. Bit pricey I thought without a stand.

On my upgrade list too.. Like a lot of things in life, you have to pay for quality.

May be expensive, but all reviews are superb. Put it on a stand, add £250 and at £1600 it is still not overpriced.

Phil

Sheptonphil":at95msw2 said:
On my upgrade list too.. Like a lot of things in life, you have to pay for quality.

May be expensive, but all reviews are superb. Put it on a stand, add £250 and at £1600 it is still not overpriced.

Phil

Wouldn't you say the jet 1642 is better value? I'm pretty sure it has a more powerful motor & is definitely heavier?

I have a short list of lathes to see when I visit Axminster early November. ATM my first choice is the 1628vs. Second is the jet 1642 followed by the jet 3520B, but I don't want to spend that much money. I have in the past a few times "under bought" and regretted it. If I get the 1628 I will want both the stand and the bed extension as my primary objective is for larger bowls. The bed extension would also allow me to do reasonably sized spindle work. In the past I have turned a few "Staffs" about 6 feet long from greenheart on my old Holbrook metal lathe. ( a dreadful misuse of the lathe).

I need to see them in person before parting with my money, because "feel" is a big part of any tool. I would hate to make the mistake I did in buying the botche chainsaw recently.

woodfarmer":3n6l5w8q said:
I have a short list of lathes to see when I visit Axminster early November. ATM my first choice is the 1628vs. Second is the jet 1642 followed by the jet 3520B, but I don't want to spend that much money. I have in the past a few times "under bought" and regretted it. If I get the 1628 I will want both the stand and the bed extension as my primary objective is for larger bowls. The bed extension would also allow me to do reasonably sized spindle work. In the past I have turned a few "Staffs" about 6 feet long from greenheart on my old Holbrook metal lathe. ( a dreadful misuse of the lathe).

I need to see them in person before parting with my money, because "feel" is a big part of any tool. I would hate to make the mistake I did in buying the botche chainsaw recently.

My problem is I live miles from anywhere that has any decent tools I can feel. On the net, all these lathes look like re-sprays of the same thing. I recently bought the axminster awsl900 I think & it looks like all the other lathes at that size. I wonder if they all have the same massive design flaw where the headstock footprint isn't the actual headstock, its the stupid little round bit inside that it swivels on. There's a gap at the bottom around the entire headstock box!!! I've now filled this with 16 gauge stainless strips. You're right, have a good play. I'm already looking to upgrade to something more like the poolewood 28/40 I had years ago.

woodfarmer":308cm87p said:

One thing you might be able to help me with as far as these modern lathes are concerned, is, where is the weight in these modern lathes? On my original shortlist was a jet 1642 so I watched a bloke unpack & assemble his on youtube. He got to the end & carried his headstock across his workshop & he was no Arnie!!! I've forgotten what my 28/40 was supposed to weigh but it had a small tailstock end support, 2 tubes & 90% of the weight was the headstock. You would not be carrying that around like this bloke was. The heaviest part of a jet 1642 seems to be its legs & the headstock looks tiny. Hijacking the thread a bit but still advice on buying lathes isn't it?

Hello All, I am chuffed to bits with the response Ive had here and I feel the research carried out for many days and hours has paid off bigtime. Its the Ax AT 1628 vs for me and I think it has more power than the jet mentioned but yes its a little lighter, anyways its a full 2hp which I cannot envisage needing more than. The price is steep but I feel its great value, I spend many hours each day in my little workshop at the lathe so for me its worthwhile.

Just noted the question above, the bulk of the weight is in the bed of the lathe the rest is headstock tailstock and cast iron legs add a lot as I understand it anyway.

Thanks again all.

Rend

My problem is I live miles from anywhere that has any decent tools I can feel. On the net, all these lathes look like re-sprays of the same thing. I recently bought the axminster awsl900 I think & it looks like all the other lathes at that size. I wonder if they all have the same massive design flaw where the headstock footprint isn't the actual headstock, its the stupid little round bit inside that it swivels on. There's a gap at the bottom around the entire headstock box!!! I've now filled this with 16 gauge stainless strips. You're right, have a good play. I'm already looking to upgrade to something more like the poolewood 28/40 I had years ago.

It is why I am waiting until Novemeber as I live in deepest rural France, ( nearest neighbour out the back is 3-4 miles away). So on trip to the UK I will Drive down from York to Axminster before heading for the ferry back.

Arckivio":2x3vxknr said:
woodfarmer":2x3vxknr said:

One thing you might be able to help me with as far as these modern lathes are concerned, is, where is the weight in these modern lathes? On my original shortlist was a jet 1642 so I watched a bloke unpack & assemble his on youtube. He got to the end & carried his headstock across his workshop & he was no Arnie!!! I've forgotten what my 28/40 was supposed to weigh but it had a small tailstock end support, 2 tubes & 90% of the weight was the headstock. You would not be carrying that around like this bloke was. The heaviest part of a jet 1642 seems to be its legs & the headstock looks tiny. Hijacking the thread a bit but still advice on buying lathes isn't it?

Sure, but to be honest I don't know where the weight is based. It is one of many reasons for wanting to go see them before I buy. I am used to my Holbrook and because of that just about every other lathe seems very flimsy. It is all I can do to lift the tailstock. Before I got my own lathe I worked on Ward 7's and 8's which were also quite heavy.

One of the main things that attract me to the Axi 1628 is that as a Killinger it is made in Germany not China.

The Axminster might look similar to the Killinger lathes but if you compare the models you will see that most of the specs are different - power, capacity, weight, spindle speed, mass.
As for being made in Germany, the Axminster manual contains the following :-
'Manufactured by Kingcraft Machinery Company
Limited/NO.26, Gong Yeh 12 Rd., Da-Li City, Taichung
County, Taiwan'

One advantage for me would be that the Axminster headstock can be moved along the bed and rotated, allowing it to fit better in my small sized shed.

woodfarmer":3qsx8lun said:
It is why I am waiting until Novemeber as I live in deepest rural France, ( nearest neighbour out the back is 3-4 miles away). So on trip to the UK I will Drive down from York to Axminster before heading for the ferry back.

Don't know if you're aware, there's a new Axminster opening in Basingstoke this weekend. If you're running back through the tunnel or ferry at Portsmouth, May be a better option than Devon.

Mr Finch":3firjl7b said:
woodfarmer":3firjl7b said:

Don't know if you're aware, there's a new Axminster opening in Basingstoke this weekend. If you're running back through the tunnel or ferry at Portsmouth, May be a better option than Devon.

.Thanks, but my itinerary also includes visiting Cornwall :)

duncanh":pw9c2bpc said:
The Axminster might look similar to the Killinger lathes but if you compare the models you will see that most of the specs are different - power, capacity, weight, spindle speed, mass.
As for being made in Germany, the Axminster manual contains the following :-
'Manufactured by Kingcraft Machinery Company
Limited/NO.26, Gong Yeh 12 Rd., Da-Li City, Taichung
County, Taiwan'

One advantage for me would be that the Axminster headstock can be moved along the bed and rotated, allowing it to fit better in my small sized shed.

This lathe has been discussed before and the member here who works for Axi confirmed it was from Killinger. The bit about being made in Taiwan is disappointing though.

Back