Axminster 1500 Workbench vs Sjobergs Nordic Plus 1450 Bench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andya271

Reaction score
hi guys new to this forum so go easy on me :D im looking for a small bench and these are the 2 that i like i need to know why on axminster s site there own bench get slated ...my question is which would warp less and which timber has the edge in strengh
sjobergs £359 without storage
axminster £299 without storage

the sjobergs uses Scandinavian pine for underframe
axminster uses Laminated, kiln-dried beech top; tough, stable and resilient

sjobergs top 28mm
axminster 30mm

sjobergs top Hard Nordic birch top built to last
axminster Laminated, kiln-dried beech top; tough, stable and resilient

allso im not interested in building my own as i am just starting in wood work
any help really appreciated

i just thin the axminster has a bit more like already oiled 30mm top instead of 28mm legs frame beech not pine etc but maybe the birch of the sjoberg is better quality

Attachments

• axminster.jpg
    axminster.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 206
  • sjoberg.jpg
    sjoberg.jpg
    275.4 KB · Views: 205
They are beginner benches.
For hand tool use, you'll probably have to affix it to a wall or add some kind of bracing.
30 mm is a bit on the thin side, but better than nothing I guess.

Get hold of a piece of kitchen worktop or a fire door and glue and coach screw/bolt together £30s worth of CLS for the frame. In a year or two it'll probably prove inadequate ........... but so will the ones you're looking at. :D

ive got a festool mft 3 for other stuff im doing but just fancy trying some dovetail joinery and know the vices would be ok to start off with

whilst it might sound intimidating I honestly think you could make a bench with very little experience, it won't cost you more than £200 maybe a bit more including clamps and a decent vice, the biggest cost will be the vice, anyway it's worth considering before buying one, and you can make it however you want. (and yes I did read that you don't want to build one)

I fully understand not having time to build. Both of these benches are light duty and you will regret the purchase. Buy bigger, thicker, heavier. New or second hand. That way you only buy once.

Andy,

My tuppence worth. A few years ago I bought the Rutlands version, from the pics its exactly the same as the Axi one. OK it got me started and spent time in my kitchen and then the garage.....BUT it is not rigid enough for decent hand tool work. And it has, over the years, bent and bowed despite being kiln dried hardwood.
I just made my own from redwood and it's like chalk and cheese.

The old one now has garlic drying on it! Ie, okay for a table, not a workbench.

HTH

Andrew

As another beginner can I give you a little advice without pretending to be an expert.
I've been doing hobby stuff for a while, couple of years. I work a lot, physical job, I have two young kids, my shed time is carefully tallied and balanced against the rest of the work I have to do on the house, to pay the mortgage kiddie time etc etc etc... Same as everyone... mostly.

Here's my tip.

Do not buy that bench. Or any new bench.
My first post on this website was about how to fit a plane iron upside down. No one laughed. No one took the hit and miss. But they did say, careful now. What do you think you are buying? Because the worst thing you can do is to think you can buy experience, you cannot substitute trying it. Make your first bench if for no better reason than it turns out you hate actual woodworking, not what you imagine it to be now, you will have spent less money and have a workable bench. Or buy an old pub bench etc. Garden table. Screw a fire door to it. Bang. What you actually NEED is a flat reference surface that is well braced so it doesn't wobble in use. That's all you need. The rest is just what you think you need, And that's all nonsense anyway.
The next thing you will be tripping over is sharpening debates.
It's all rabbit holes to detract you from picking up tools to actually make stuff.
DAMHIKT.
:D

thetyreman":5gq4v9qs said:
what about getting an old school workbench that's already been made like this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Old-school-w ... SwK89cPwkb

all you'd have to do is flatten the top again with a handplane, obviously you'd need a van or somebody to help you out but it's a lot cheaper than the new ones.

100% agree with this. Those new benches look nice but are going to be a ballache in use. Unless you don’t plan on planing anything by hand or whatever (no harm in that).

The more weight/heft the better!!!!

Back