Axles & Wheels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dedee

Established Member
Reaction score
I finally managed to get the lawnmower of my dreams yesterday a Ransomes Certes Mk 12 Bowling Green Mower. This is a manual push mower, no engine. Extremely well engineered and a fine example of British Craftsmanship

What seems to be a very simple problem is taxing my web searching ability. I need to make some sort of bogey to cart the mower around as the rear rollers are aluminium and are easily damaged on concrete or stone surfaces. I have to negotiate 30 feet of concrete path between shed and lawn and a further 20 feet between back and front garden with several steps and door jams to negotiate as well so castors or not suitable

I thought it would be quite simple to source some 6-8" diameter wheels and an axle but I am not winning. All I can find are model steam loco or car axles.

Any ideas where I can source a sturdy axle of about 16-18" in length that will accomodate wheels with a rubber or nylon tyre?

AndyP

dedee":ivrkdj9y said:
I finally managed to get the lawnmower of my dreams yesterday a Ransomes Certes Mk 12 Bowling Green Mower. This is a manual push mower, no engine. Extremely well engineered and a fine example of British Craftsmanship

Funny that, I ressurected an Bowling green mower for my current lawn, it's only 5 stripes wide - I have to go over about 5 times just to justify firing the damn thing up. Those extra blade made a world of difference.

Adam

Chris, thanks. These sort of wheels I have seen all over the place. But how does one attached to a "metal tube from B&Q" wont they just fall off the end?
Mechanical engineering is not my strongpoint. Perhaps I shoudl rephrase my question to How do I stop such a wheel from sliding along a tube.

Andy

dedee":3o8uatjy said:
I finally managed to get the lawnmower of my dreams yesterday AndyP

????? :lol: :wink:

Andy, I find machinemart brilliant for castors and wheels

Extremely well engineered ... aluminium...

Careful, there's a few on here that would claim that was oxymoronic.

Sack truck/barrow/cart?

Jake

Can;t you just pick it up and carry it? I used to carry my 20" Atco from the shed to the back garden - as it wouldn't fit through the door striaght on(not any more - with my back), a push mower - they are even lighter - any reason for not just carrying it? Or sticking it in a wheelbarrow?

Adam

Hi,

To stop the wheel coming off the end of a bar, a simple way would be to drill a hole and use a split pin. You can also get self locking cap end thingies :oops: not sure of the name but they are a pressure washer inside a cup that clips over the axle end.

There are far more complex ways too but these should suffice for your purposes

Steve.

For Tony, a glossary of terms:
"lawnmower" = plane for use on grass
"of my dreams" = you're expecting too much from it
"yesterday" = the time before the missus found out what you'd paid for an old lawnmower
"AndyP" = escapee from loony bin...? :wink:

Cheers, Alf

These sort of wheels I have seen all over the place. But how does one attached to a "metal tube from B&Q" wont they just fall off the end?
Mechanical engineering is not my strongpoint. Perhaps I shoudl rephrase my question to How do I stop such a wheel from sliding along a tube.

Use M20 studding, and two nuts either side of each wheel?

Tony,
Perhaps I should change the question to how to I make an axle to take those MachinemArt wheels.

Adam,
Take the engine off and push it - it will do wonders for the environment and is good excercise

Jake.
Ransomes Sims and Jefferies have a reputation for building things to last I have 4 of their mowers now all built in the 40s-60s and they cut as well now as they did when new and will last for decades. A normal sack truck will not work due to the handles of the mower. I know that Ransomes supplied a simple bogey that the rear rollers rest on and is the ideal way of moving these things.
I suppose I could buy a sack truck and cut it to pieces.

AndyP

AndyP

Alf":3o5n0ifd said:
"yesterday" = the time before the missus found out what you'd paid for

Shhh. She doesn't know yet

Jake, I do not think M20 studding will be strong enough & won't thread chew up the inside bore of the wheels.

StevieB, thanks

Adam,
"Pick it up and carry it". That sounds like a good way to do my back in. It is bloody heavy.

AndyP
(who has obviously set himself up for ridicule here)

Blurk99,
Thanks. I am trying to visualise how you get the sack truck under the rear rollers without the mower handles getting in the way.

AndyP

they 'park' the trolley against the back door step and then push the lawn mower up a ramp onto the flatbed, from memory i don't think theirs has the permanent sack truck base so maybe it's not the same sort of thing, unless that one is removable...

jim

blurk99":136o8xxk said:
ps - they always use it in 'flatbed' mode

Ah that would explain it.

I think I'll have to buy a cheap truck sack truck and see hiw it goes. I should be able to cut off the axle if necessary although it would have to be wider than the mower ie the wheels sitting outside the mower sides.

If not then the steel rod and split pins should do the trick.

AndyP

Andy.

You could use washers either side of the wheels with split pins, or if you can get steel tube, solder them on.

If using studding (threaded rod), just slip a couple of short bits of tube over the rod where the wheels are and put locknuts with washers either side of the wheels

Alf":fezrshwr said:
For Tony, a glossary of terms:
"lawnmower" = plane for use on grass
"of my dreams" = you're expecting too much from it
"yesterday" = the time before the missus found out what you'd paid for an old lawnmower
"AndyP" = escapee from loony bin...? :wink:

Cheers, Alf
:p :p :p :p :p

Thanks Alf that made me smile :)

Do LN do a lawnmower then?

andy can you not get the little women to move it for you :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Back