Axes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have a couple of car boot sales around here, but they're full of knackered toys / kids clothes with very little if any tools, not to mention quality tools, you're spoilt for choice!

The reason I missed out on a few Sunday afternoon was that they were going for close to £20!! :shock:

I hope that mine has a solid handle, it doesn't look too bad but if the worst comes to it, I'll just have to follow your lead and make my own, seems like a nice little project. I'll definitely post a few before and after pics once it's been over the felt wheel al la John Neeman, but it won't be until next weekend as I'm off on a Duke of Ed trip with school this Wednesday - Friday, let's hope the weather stays dry :? :?

Cheers
Aled

Following the theme of axe-love, here's my favourite little hatchet.

whitehouse_hatchet.jpg

Cornelius Whitehouse and sons are known for the quality of their "heavy edge" tools - axes, billhooks slashers et al.

http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Cornelius_ ... e_and_Sons

The handle is a close copy of the original, which was gorgeously comfortable, but sadly the portion inside the head was mainly composed of nails, screws, metal wedges, matchsticks...

Making an axe handle is lots of fun - you get to play with a wide range of saws, drawknives, rasps, spokeshaves, scrapers, and you don't have to stick to much of a plan - just follow the old carving advice to remove anything that isn't what you want. :D

Having acquired this, I still find that my childhood preference of a convex bladed billhook for kindling chopping remains with me, so this hatchet is used infrequently.

BugBear

I look forward to the pics Aled....

BB...ah...the Cannock Hedgehog! Beautiful beast! I have been looking out for Whitehouse too...bound to find one sooner or later.

If you like your billhook and have want the best of both worlds...you have but five hours to secure your DREAM TOOL! :mrgreen: :wink:

Jim

jimi43":3hy3o33q said:

BB...ah...the Cannock Hedgehog! Beautiful beast! I have been looking out for Whitehouse too...bound to find one sooner or later.

If you like your billhook and have want the best of both worlds...you have but five hours to secure your DREAM TOOL! :mrgreen: :wink:

Jim

You may (or may not :D) have wondered how I knew that I retained my preference for a convex bladed billhook...

whitehouse_hook.jpg

Never seen a better.

BugBear (happy kindling maker)

bugbear":1f10abyi said:
jimi43":1f10abyi said:

Jim

You may (or may not :D) have wondered how I knew that I retained my preference for a convex bladed billhook...

whitehouse_hook.jpg

Never seen a better.

Please tell me that's not boxwood in that handle.... :shock:

I cannot believe nobody bid on that one in the link...that's it...bootfair this weekend...hedgehog search! :mrgreen:

Jim

jimi43":sbp2xbb6 said:
bugbear":sbp2xbb6 said:
whitehouse_hook.jpg

Never seen a better.

Please tell me that's not boxwood in that handle.... :shock:

I cannot believe nobody bid on that one in the link...that's it...bootfair this weekend...hedgehog search! :mrgreen:

Jim

The handle is good, tight grained beech. And (on the ebay hook) come on - who'd pay more than a quid for a billhook :D ?

BugBear

jimi43":3pd8048j said:
Aled Dafis":3pd8048j said:
Oops, finger slipped, just bought an axe head. :oops: :oops:

Come on then Aled....the link please!! :mrgreen:

Jim

Even better, a pic of both. It took a bit of work on the "slack" bit of the linisher to grind an acceptable convex bevel, and then onto the hard felt wheel on the lathe to polish to a razor's edge.

4c5c1dda.jpg

The one with the knackered handle is an "Eagle" but has a crack at the edge that runs about 8mm into the axe, the other has no name, but sharpened up a treat...

36b13e34.jpg

Cheers
Aled

Back