Axe throwing (is that a form of woodworking?)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sammy.se

Established Member
Reaction score
So,

I'm stateside, and had great fun at a local activity... Axe throwing. Pics attached. Not like anything I've done before.

We were taught how to throw a single axe (hatchet), with two hands and then one hand.

It actually required a lot of accurate technique to get the axe to stick to the target. You can't just lob it as hard as you can.

Then we learned how to throw two axes at the same time, then how to throw underarm.

Throwing underarm was a very weird experience. And very hard.

It was good fun, I can't imagine that being allowed in the UK high street, like it was in the US :)

Ps - I was glad to see they had a first aid kit on the wall. It was smaller than a shoebox. That should keep HSE happy.
f9da03d2a5e55012cd36fdfb68c3298c.jpg
f6112fcbea7c1612ceab3d678c8b73b3.jpg
48c11c652279f9eccef61581e05677f7.jpg
9963d73b8c607df273e5bc847987bf33.jpg
de5585f486f9d7ba12f78e2470046104.jpg
7ae47a3bf18c4990bc9294e3b3fcf596.jpg
71ba389d2573196625844e26628872cf.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

There's talk of a new one opening in York too. I'd be interested to give it a go, sounds fun!

Oh, I had no idea!!! That is cool, will definitely be doing that when I get home

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

If I had an axe like the ones in those pictures I'd throw it. In the bin. Horrid.

Gransfors throwing axes look much more dangerous :D

Holy c**p, one of those links above is touting targets for games for your kids' parties :shock: :shock:

I recently saw an ad for a local beer festival. The only (additional) entertainment listed was 'axe throwing' which struck me (pun intended) as a slightly scarier than usual option...

Woody2Shoes":ylmw1pt0 said:
I recently saw an ad for a local beer festival. The only (additional) entertainment listed was 'axe throwing' which struck me (pun intended) as a slightly scarier than usual option...

Beer: Check.
Axes: Check.
Targets: Check.
A man wearing a target t-shirt: Oo Er...

Sounds like an accident waiting to happen! :lol: At least they're not playing with lawn darts!
295px-Hasbro_Javelin_Darts.jpg

BigMonka":14y4mx3t said:
There's talk of a new one opening in York too. I'd be interested to give it a go, sounds fun!

There is one already.

https://yorkshire-activity-centre.co.uk/

Took my nine year old there for one of his friends birthdays, they did archery and survival skills. While the kids had birthday tea the adults did a bit of axe throwing, was good fun. Different people spin the axe at different speeds when they throw it so the main thing is working out how far from the target you need to stand so the axe does a full revolution.

Trevanion":36liqiyz said:
Woody2Shoes":36liqiyz said:

Beer: Check.
Axes: Check.
Targets: Check.
A man wearing a target t-shirt: Oo Er...

Sounds like an accident waiting to happen! :lol: At least they're not playing with lawn darts!

It's a Darwin thing: "Hold my beer, and watch this!" (homer)

When i was about 14 a friend & i found a couple of old hatchet heads, we put new handles on them & practiced axe throwing in the woods, no safety cages or stuff like that, we used trees as targets. We got pretty good. A couple of exiting richochets happened but the worst near miss was when George threw his tomahawk at a stile on the sea wall. It was blowing a gale at the time, he missed & the wind caught the tomahawk & it came spinning back just like a boomerang, we didnt know which wa to run it happened so quick. I remember its head flashing in the sun as it approached & it skimmed just over my head so close i felt the wind of it. Georges face was a picture. Be careful people.

Trevanion":1oc498x2 said:

Every summer, we'd make what was called 'Dog arrows', essentially a length of cane, usually something like playing cards cut to shape and wedged into a split cut into the cane, to act as flights, the open end of the split closed again with a rubber band. The business end shapened or a needle, fountain pen nib, part of an abandond dart pressed into service as an arrowhead. More advanced versions had some form of weight attached near the business end, making it easier to launch and ensure it descended point first. A knotted length of string looped round the shaft near the flights and nipped near the head between thumb and forefinger was its launcher. And like javelins the aim was to get the furthest although it did have to stick in the ground to qualify.

I remember launching one of mine, determined to go further than those of the older, bigger, stronger lads. I still remember their wonderment as mine continued to fly, well past the the previous 'best ever', carrying on down the field and clearing the hedge at the far end. And still I remember the loud scream as my missile thudded into the foot of a young - hitherto unseen - woman walking on the road beyond. That was my last ever Dog Arrow.

Reading the the stories above reminds me of some of the near misses I had in my childhood, almost makes me want to STOP telling the kids to get off the Xbox and go outside and play in case they come home with an arrow or something stuck in their head. It's all part of growing up and good fun when you are a kid but stressful when you are a parent!

Back