Awkward corner

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs C

Established Member
Reaction score
We have come to do the last bit of our kitchen and I have a really awkward corner that I don’t know what to do with. The difficulty is that I would like to be able to see through the window as it is the last original window in the cottage and it gives visibility to the back door.

The corner doesn’t have to do anything productive, the sink and dishwasher will move away from the window a bit. The ‘very nice’ cladding in the corner is covering a soil pipe which I think is about 100mm diameter, but needs to stay. The cooker is a wood burner so we need to leave a gap between it and any units, however, if we go with a granite work surface this could go up to the side. The microwave will go elsewhere. All the units will be replaced. If necessary, we have spare flooring for the bit that hasn’t been done.

Has anyone got any inspiration?

Attachments

• 269CDEEE-BE7A-4F45-8441-49D0782191A5.jpeg
    269CDEEE-BE7A-4F45-8441-49D0782191A5.jpeg
    74.4 KB · Views: 220
  • 7143BB27-6763-4720-8C22-8C263405C7B2.jpeg
    7143BB27-6763-4720-8C22-8C263405C7B2.jpeg
    174.1 KB · Views: 220
No great inspiration, I'm afraid, but I wonder if glass shelving - for glasses or a pot plant or something might go across the old window. We have a Rayburn and I built a 'garage'(!) for the hod and stove tools in the space where yours is standing. On the other side a place for trays. I built to 50mm of the side of the stove and put a sheet of aluminium on the side of the carcass facing the stove to spread/dissipate any excess heat. Cheers W2S

If the window is going to remain clear then you don’t really want anything stood there. Draining boards are often clear, holding dirty vessels just before washing, or clean ones just before drying. What about moving the sink and draining board towards that corner, and bringing the dishwasher to this side of the sink? At the moment it’s in the corner of the room, and less accessible. It also makes it harder to access storage in the corner below where the microwave stands.

If you have room I'd do the following.
Move the sink and dishwasher along and put a lemans unit in the window void, lemans secifically due to the shape as it would miss the pipe, from that unit run a shallow depth unit across to the wood burner leaving a 100mm gap, this unot could be 300 deep.
so from wood burner you'd have a shallow depth unit about 350mm wide, turn the corner 90 degrees and a 450mm lemans unit door with the void going into the corner.

Latest posts

Back