AWFS18

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi ,
I have an Axminster AWFS 18 scroll saw a bout a year now and was wondering if anyone has a solution for easy blade unclamping on the top clamp so as to make many internal cuts in a single work piece ? It’s a real pain having to use the Allen key and to release the blade and then try to get the work piece threaded over the top of the blade , offer the blade up to the clamp , try to hold it in position and tighten with Allen key . Am I over looking an easier way to manage this? Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

PS I contacted Axminster to ask about this, and they have assured me that the Pegas SCP-100 blade clamp kit is the perfect solution . However I am sure that it can’t be fitted to this saw .
Kevin

There are 2 possibilities that I know of Kevin. First, member Claymore has one of these saws and I'm sure that not only has he made some mods to his machine but is also quite likely to pop up here soon-ish to give direct advise.

2nd, there have been quite a few posts in this section about various mods to this machine (and others) to improve the blade changing time. I suggest a search here along the lines of "Quick Release Blade Clamps".

Re the new Pegas blade clamp "chucks" (as they call them) I found that they're a nicely engineered add on goodie, but IMO, well over-priced - i.e. not real good value for money. I did a full write up on those a while back and after posting this I'll come back and post a P.S. link to that. BTW, I don't really know the AWFS myself, but off hand I think you're right, the new Pegas clamps will NOT fit your machine. But in that write up I think I did include a list of all the machines those new clamps will fit - you'll see in a minute or two!

Edit for link: Here you go Kevin - links within the post too. HTH:

post1263309.html?hilit=Excalibur#p1263309

AES

Hi,
I have the same saw and have done a few mods to improve it, I did at first fit a M4 Index Lever to make changing blades easier (see photo) it works great but after a while i saw someone selling one of the Hegner Quick change knobs cheap so bought that and its been on my saw ever since, there was no problems usuing the levers and i keep some incase the Hegner one breaks (they are cheaper than the Hegners). I also got the brass roller kit for my saw from Axminster to replace the plastic rollers that break very easily they make changing blades much easier. I have also added a better dust extraction doodah to the saw (see other pictures) this catches 99% of dust and its attached to a shopvac through a Dust Cyclone and works perfect.
They are superb saws and even though i have my big EX30 saw i still the Axi for most small jobs as its lovely to use, only thing i don't like about it is when a blade snaps and it makes a sodding bang but you get used to it.
Cheers
Brian

Attachments

• Clamping H Indexing for Axminster Blade Clamp (Medium).jpg
    Clamping H Indexing for Axminster Blade Clamp (Medium).jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 234
  • SCROLL DUST BOX 1 (Small).jpg
    SCROLL DUST BOX 1 (Small).jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 229
  • SCROLL SAW DUST 2 (Medium).jpg
    SCROLL SAW DUST 2 (Medium).jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 230
  • scroll saw dust box 3 (Small).jpg
    scroll saw dust box 3 (Small).jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 230
  • scroll saw dust box measurements (Medium).jpg
    scroll saw dust box measurements (Medium).jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 230
Clip339.jpg

I also have the AWFS18 and am very happy with it and have found it an excellent saw

The Hegner quick clamp is the solution to quick blade changes, it may be expensive but worth its weight in gold

Before the brass roller upgrade came out I made my own modification to the easily worn out nylon bearings originally fitted, I used four small bearings off a spare set of router bits, they have worked well for a couple of years now, personally I think they would be better than the brass upgrade

Attachments

• Clip339.jpg
    Clip339.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 251
Back