Awesome joint

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need to make a couple of scarf joints for a veranda I'm building, somehow I don't think I'll be doing it like that - I want it finished this year :D

(would like to have seen how they cut the joint, though :? )

Can't they just get a longer tree?

:wink:

Pete

I understand the 3 layer engagement, and the wedges, but what are the M&T/crennelations on the uper and lower faces for? They don't seem to do anything, but I'm fairly sure they're not being cut for fun, since they're a lot of work to make.

Anyone?

BugBear

bugbear":2oh1tm6w said:
I understand the 3 layer engagement, and the wedges, but what are the M&T/crennelations on the uper and lower faces for? They don't seem to do anything, but I'm fairly sure they're not being cut for fun, since they're a lot of work to make.

Anyone?

BugBear

I think they were actually dovetailed and they are presumably there for location as they prevent movement of the parts relative to one another.If anybody wants to learn more about this type of joinery there is a book "The Art of Japanese Joinery" which has lots more joints that we in the western world might not encounter.Of course this style was developed in the years before good glue was widely available and I suspect that a 1:6 plain scarph joint bonded with epoxy would be both stronger and faster to cut.Even if the assembled piece would be a real pain to transport to the site.

Impressive. At first I thought they'd made a mistake - the gap in the joint at the top-left - but later realised this was deliberate, in order to allow the joint to be disassembled.

I'm reading Roger Ulrich's book on Roman Woodworking at the moment - and it has this illustration of a similar scarf joint from a 3rd century boat. Not identical but it looks like it works in much the same way.

20150115_0943062_zpsczshsxd8.jpg

"Nothing new under the sun..."
"What did the Romans ever do for us..." etc!

A wonderful joint, up there with the hammerhead tenon (seen here recently). I suppose excellent marking out and cutting and it's a good 'un :mrgreen: I wonder if that was the first dry test fit? And I like the lift test too.

I was looking at it, but only 99% impressed as I noticed it wasn't flush the other end (that was on top of "it's not square..."), and thinking "they botched it a bit".. until I saw how they got it apart.

Very elegant. I assume the crenallations were to stop any possibility of slippage, so I assume they are meant as main ridge beams or similar to take a lot of load.

Impressive. Yes, the crenellations will significantly reduce the likelihood of any deflection in the depth of the board/beam as demonstrated in the lift test. If my memory serves, a book "Practical & Decorative Woodworking Joints" by John E N Bairstow published by Batsford shows a number of similar joints.

Latest posts

Back