AW106PT planer/thicknesser stopped working

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phebas

Reaction score
I'm new to this forum. I came across it because I was looking for a solution as to why my Axminster AW106 has suddenly stopped running. I have established that the control module (inside the machine) is getting a live feed and is relaying lives to the ON switches, and none of the ON/OFF or Emergency Stop switches are stuck. The motor is making no attempt to start (so unlikely to be a faulty motor capacitor). I contacted Axminster but they could not help. Anyone had this problem, or any suggestions as to the cause?
thanks,
tony

I would say that it is exactly like a capacitor fault.

Remove the belt and wind a length of rope/cord round the pulley. Give the rope a sharp pull and LET GO then turn on the motor.
It should run if the power is OK.
Stop the motor
Wind the rope on the other way and repeat.
If the motor runs in both directions then it is either the capacitor 90% probability, or a damaged starter winding 9%, 1% something else.
Trying a new capacitor (ebay) will be a cheap, most likely solution.

hth

Bob

I've got more or less the same machine, but badged up as a Fox.

I had a problem with the safety lockouts jamming and not releasing when I changed over from planing to thicknessing (or vice versa, can't remember).

Basically (from hazy memory) the lockouts are small steel dowels with a coil spring around them. The spring is held in place by a washer and (again from hazy memory) a roll pin through the dowel. What happened with mine is that the washer, being cheap and 'orrible Chinese, decided to jam against the dowel so it wouldn't return to its default position and allow the machine to switch on. I think I changed the washers for some better fitting and adjusted the position of the bit of metal that presses against the dowel and all was well. I seem to remember having to take either the planing tables off or the thincknessing table out to gain access as well.

It was quite a while ago so apologies if the above is not quite as clear as it could be, but I'm pretty sure it was something like that.

HTH

Hi again,
Thanks for your help guys. I have found that if I press the square button on the control module (inside the machine- see enclosed pic) the motor runs. However, it stops if I release that button and none of the OFF switches work, including the Emergency Stop while that button is depressed. I assume the square button is a Reset ( like the reset on an RCD device) but simply pressing it and letting go does not enable the normal ON/OFF switches.
Looks as if the problem is with the control unit, its a chinese unit, ant suggestions as to where I where would I get a replacement in the UK?
thanks,
tony
Uploading the pic does not seem to work - file transfer goes on forever

Host the picture somewhere else such as photobucket and point to it here then we can see it

I would have thought Axminster would be the place for spares even if they won't help diagnose faults.

Bob

phebas":1ua319er said:
.....Uploading the pic does not seem to work - file transfer goes on forever

Sounds as though your image file is too large.
It needs to be 256kb or less to be accepted by the forum settings.
Most images 1024 pixels or less in JPG format should be well below this limit.

Make sure you have no dust in the NVR switch housing preventing the latching mechanism from functioning.

I don't know the machine but:

Are you using a multi meter / clamp meter to trace where power is going to & not ?

I guess the reset is for overload or overheat protection - was the motor laboured when you got it running & so drawing to many amps & preventing resetting? Perhaps the reset switch is faulty/ the overload is too sensitive or set too low/out of calibration - is there a way to adjust it up?

Via advice from this forum and Keith at Axminster I've traced the problem to a faulty Emergency stop switch which is open circuit all the time. Have asked Axminster the price of a replacement

It could easily be dust inside the Estop switch and you might be able to clean it out and save the cost of a new one.

Bob

I hope you dont mind me jumping on here but ive just inherited onebof these its uber rusty but still runs and cuts. I cant get one of the blade bolts out as its been rounded off. The blade is stuck in so can i change the block? Also does the thicknesser bed come out?

Back