Avoid ALL Screwfix branded products - EDITED

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
First it was Ferm...that bastion of quality.

Then Erbauer...didn't they have a product recall for grinders shedding disk parts?

And now we have Titan...ah..one of the moons of Saturn if I'm not mistaken or maybe Jupiter..whatever. Certainly outer space is where the quality fairies went when they designed this incredibly grungy range of tat.

Bought one of their random orbital sanders...very little use..velcro pad no longer holds ,,,out of warranty..just. Sigh...remember..you get what you pay for...you get what you pay for....what you pay for....

I have a Titan table saw, and I must say I agree with you whole heartedly

Regards

Creampuff":39kvq7hi said:

Regards

I'm not pointing and laughing....honest :lol: :wink:

I'm not pointing and laughing....honest

Liar! I can hear you from here!
But it supports what most of us probably also found out the hard way and that is that cheap ends up dear!

Roy.

Seems to me that the story is that you buy in cheap rubbish and brand it. Then when the punters catch on that it really and truly is rubbish, you buy in from somewhere else equally bad rubbish but then rebadge it with a new brand name until the poor punter susses you out and so the cycle continues.

Creampuff":27nllsg9 said:

Regards

I have one too, it has a freud blade in it and its ok. Can't ask much for £80!

I recently bought the Titan wet and dry grinder from the clearance section. I bought other stuff as well so I used the 10% voucher and as always went through quidco so got another 6% back there. Ok the thing is a bit rough in its fit and finish but a 200mm wetstone grinder for a bit over £20 can't be complained at :)

I bought a Titan planer which was a complete waste of time and went back. But I have a Titan 5kg SDS (a few years old now) and it's been brilliant considering what I paid. So it does depend I guess.
Cheers
Gidon

After sending a grumpy email to Screwfix Customer Service, they will give me a refund even though it is a couple of months out of warranty.

So while my basic comment still applies in that you get what you pay for...and to be fair, it comes down to whether or not you feel you've had your monies worth at the end of the day...I can't fault Screwfix Customer Service.

Go to Aldi, for a max of £25.00 you get a useful tool, and you WILL get a years use out of it, also a 2 year guarantee, if you run it onto the ground, so what, it's good value for money if your using it day in day out, as long as you fill in the form for warranty and send it off you will get a tool that will last you 2 years at least, if not, a replacement will be made available, as long as you have sent the warranty form off, and no questions asked.

Rich.

Guys like you keep complaining don't you?

What about the good points of screwfix?

Their wood screws are great...
Their sanding rolls are good value......
They stock main brands..Makita,dewalt are these products poor?
If you will buy the £23 router or anything else for continual use then in my opinion, IT's Your fault.....
In fact I would go as far to say you should thank Screwfix for exchanging/ replacing...

Don't hide behind.....well I should have known better......
By posting that, YOU knew before you purchased.....

dicktimber":11yk40pg said:
They stock main brands..Makita,dewalt are these products poor?

No-one is saying that they are. The post specifically says own brand.

If you will buy the £23 router or anything else for continual use then in my opinion, IT's Your fault.....

No-one has said anything about continual use. I wouldn't expect something at a very cheap price to be used day in, day out and last. But one takes a view and whether or not at the end of the day one feels one has had value from the product. Did one get the £x of use from the item that one paid for?

In my case, the answer was no. It had had very little use but because the hooks used on the velcro pad were few and far between, it wasn't that usable. Interestingly the product is no longer available whilst other ones in the range are.

In fact I would go as far to say you should thank Screwfix for exchanging/ replacing...

I did. It's up there in red.

Well I'm for one not complaining, I get what I pay for and expect no more, all tools expensive or otherwise need fettling, and the usage of is important too, don;t ask more than is expected of them, I can get just as much accuracy from an Aldi tool as I could from a makita or dewalt, and I think the Aldi tools are good value, I have 3 Aldi routers, 4 Aldi battery drills and ALL are still working to purpose after 3 years, admittedly they are only for domestic use and would probably let me down under constant site work, but as I say, you get what you pay for and I expect no more.

Rich.

Screwfix used to be great
Then kingfisher got their hands on it.
I hardly buy anything from them these days.

Aldi & Lidl stuff is good, so long as you go in with your eyes open.

But I detect their quality (& thus value for money) falling off recently

I've had a couple of one job power tools (planer and angle grinder) from Aldi and have to say that as they were bought as such I was impressed by the quality and perfoermance. But, as has been said already, in most cases, you get what you pay for.

Back