Aviation enthusiast??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the above Mike. I'm NOT quite sure, but as far as I can see, you can't get a "guided Virtual Tour" by me (or anyone else) at present. I THINK that works only during the "off season" (Winter) months, but I'll double check with "the powers that be" next time I'm there.

BUT what you CAN do, at anytime, and at NIL cost, is to visit the Muesum website (and many others too incidentally, including the excellent Dornier Museum nearby).

Navigating to a linked page (easy to find and quite easy to use, inc in English) you get a look into a "3D bubble" of excellent still photographs taken throughout the museums. Included are instructions for guiding yourself throughout that "bubble", tilting, zooming in and out, going backwards and forwards, L&R, etc, etc, all using your own mouse.

So what you get is exactly what you'd get if it was a tour guided by myself or any of the other guides, EXCEPT of course, there will be no "commentary" - you're on your own.

Hope that helps anyone who may be interested and is too far away to visit Friedrichshafen (I call it "Fred's Harbour" BTW, but don't tell them that please!).

Though of course if any UKW member does find themselves more or less in the area, do contact me by PM beforehand and I'm sure we can fix up a personally-guided tour for you.

HTH

Odd that this thread resurfaced now, on a family trip to the Science museum today I spotted a Beardsmore diesel, 585 bhp at 900rpm, weighing about 2 ¼ tons. Absolutely huge thing

I too am an aviation enthusiast and I have a share in a plane which myself and friend flew from UK to Friedrichshafen some years ago (not in one flight!). We stayed at a guest house on the edge of the Bodensee and indeed we visited the Zeppelin museum which was superb. We also visited the Dornier museum at the airport which was another great day out. A fantastic area with so much to see and do, I must go back again:)

I too am an aviation enthusiast and I have a share in a plane which myself and friend flew from UK to Friedrichshafen some years ago (not in one flight!). We stayed at a guest house on the edge of the Bodensee and indeed we visited the Zeppelin museum which was superb. We also visited the Dornier museum at the airport which was another great day out. A fantastic area with so much to see and do, I must go back again:)

You'll be welcome back anytime Biffo. As above, drop me a PM beforehand and I'm sure we can fix you up with a personal tour.

Odd that this thread resurfaced now, on a family trip to the Science museum today I spotted a Beardsmore diesel, 585 bhp at 900rpm, weighing about 2 ¼ tons. Absolutely huge thing

From the R101 airship? Sounds like it. Or from something else?

On a "training" flight today in a 1943 Tiger Moth at Duxford.
Whilst we were up there was an emergency situation at a nearby airstrip so all the Duxford fire tenders rushed off to join in the fun. My chauffeur was advised by ATC that no commercial aircraft could land in the absence of fire cover. My man responded that as we were a "training" flight that rule didn't apply so unfortunately we landed on schedule a mere 20mins after take-off.
A great day at the museum finishing with the flight in perfect late afternoon weather.
Brian

Attachments

• AB4I5196.JPG
    AB4I5196.JPG
    421.6 KB · Views: 0
From the R101 airship? Sounds like it. Or from something else?
Apparently from an R101, or at least built for. The signage said it was designed to produce maximum power at 1100rpm, but had to be throttled back to 900 so the propeller could be run directly as too much power would be lost in a gearing system.

On a "training" flight today in a 1943 Tiger Moth at Duxford.
Whilst we were up there was an emergency situation at a nearby airstrip so all the Duxford fire tenders rushed off to join in the fun. My chauffeur was advised by ATC that no commercial aircraft could land in the absence of fire cover. My man responded that as we were a "training" flight that rule didn't apply so unfortunately we landed on schedule a mere 20mins after take-off.
A great day at the museum finishing with the flight in perfect late afternoon weather.
Brian

Lucky chap!

Back