Avast

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, got some lovely stuff out of a skip the other day 4x3" soft wood par and has been in a neighbours loft I know since 1984 when I moved in and probably earlier. Could not carry it myself, its around 4 mtrs. long. I have layed awake a few hours some nights wondering how I am going to use and work with it.
Any how got another PC problem as usual, I have had my new pc with W10 around two months and it seems to do what it likes.
I found this morning I have been gifted with Avast, I never asked for it, so I looked in to control panel>programs and there it is installed itself yesterday th 25th Oct. and free.
I have been relying on Windows defender upto now got fed up with AVG on the old pc so thought I would give defender a try at the time last month.
When I write my pc does what it likes that above is an example, I open existing stuff some mornings and the layout as changed etc. Any comments whats going on, I don't like changes much these days, just like my porridge the same each morning if you know what I mean.

That sounds like your PC has been “hijacked”. I hope you’re not doing any banking or shopping from it?

EDIT: Forget the above - thought you meant your desktop layout changes sometimes when you log on.

devonwoody":37ma6633 said:
…..I found this morning I have been gifted with Avast, I never asked for it, so I looked in to control panel>programs and there it is installed itself yesterday th 25th Oct. and free.

What software did you download or install on the 25th.?
Most likely scenario is that you loaded something that offered to install Avast at the same time with the box pre selected and you did not decline the small print offer and untick the box.

Chas. you assumption is correct and I uninstalled the program shortly afterwards,(it was not really free) but had not noticed I got Avast. What do you think let it run alongside Windows defender.

I never do any or have any banking on the Internet, the banks try to get me in cunning little moves but I am still conscious enough to spot their tricks.
I don't use cash machines either only on the wifes card at the PO :)

It's not really a good idea to use more than one antivirus program, as sometimes they can interfere with each other. Avast is quite a good one, though.

So glad I shifted to Mac a few years ago!

devonwoody":q9le5u4b said:
…. What do you think let it run alongside Windows defender.
It's not unusual for more than one so called 'system protection' software packages to install themselves alongside each other.

However this is a road to encoraging screw-ups at a basic system software level if different packages start ammending core system file behaviour in different senarios.

Well written software will disable competing software or at least warn you about the risk of conflict.
Even then it is only as good as the competance of the original writer at the time of the release.

I agree with what the others said, however I've used the free version of Avast for several years although it needs re-installing occasionally and as long as updated it does everything I ask with minimal intrusion compared with the more professional programs I've used in the past.

What I would do in your case however is restore your PC to the point immediately before you installed that software on 25th which should put everything back to where it was.

Just don't ask me how to do it on Windows 10. I don't like change either and I've stayed faithful to good old Win 7 which suits my needs, I just format once in a while and start again from scratch.

Thanks all for your advice and comments, no member as stated Windows Defender is good.
So should I disconnect the defender at the control panel (I see there is not an uninstall) and leave Avast running?

Defender is fine. Personally I would remove Avast. My background has been a long time pc enthusiast, and my advice is that awareness is the best possible protection. Any antivirus program is just a safety net, the best solution is not to fall in the first place. Be aware of suspicious sites, links, and emails, and you should never have to put your antivirus to the test. Back to the point though, I have run defender on my machines since the start without issue.

I agree. Windows Defender is fine. It's what I use & I both bank online & buy lots of items on line.
There are two basic types of anti virus, real time = always on, & on demand ie a user run scan.
Old advice used to be, not to have two real time anti virus programmes installed but Windows Defender now hibernates if another anti virus programme is detected.
Again, you can run as many on-demand scanners as you wish - probably best to avoid running two scans at the same time.

Thanks all, I have uninstalled Avast and will rely on Windows Defender, I do have CCcleaner installed to clear up cookies etc. which I switch on occasionally .

Now back to that 4x3" par. I will most probably cut one metre lengths off and then put the 3" thickness through my Aldi bandsaw and try to finish up with 10mm par to make some softwood/hardwood boxes if and when the weather warms up again.

Any AV software that has a free version and a paid version tends to make their free one somewhat naff, for obvious reasons.
MS Defender has served me and everyone else I care to know exceptionally well.

However, it's worth getting Malwarebytes and running regular scans with that, too.

Back