Automatic extractor switch.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodman-46

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am equiping my new workshop with my new and old tools and machines. I have two Trend T30 AF vacuum/ extractors that one can plug tools or small machines into and they switch on automatically when the machine itself is turned on. They also stay on for about 10 seconds to catch those last bits of dust.
What I want to know is is it possible to buy some sort of switch or "box " that can achieve the same effect in other words acting as a go between between my larger extractors (records) and the machines so that it works the same as the Trend. If anyone knows I would appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks

James

James,

This is the system I have wired and used for a few years and has worked without fail. I use it to turn on and off a 3 hp felder extractor.
Not sure how well it would work with an extractor that has to run on slightly.
The wireless unit and remote control came from B&Q which is used for switching lamps on and off. It only powers the coil of the contactor not the actual extractor.

A cheap setup if you can get the bits

Hope this helps

Ian
wiringdiagram.jpg

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Mod ... D=&doy=2m4

This is the link to a Maplin product that I have used on two of my extractors. They are cheap, easily wired and can be configured for a range of tool powers.

Good luck. I know how it is - if the extractor doesn't come on by itself I can't be bothered to do it so the workshop gets covered. At least now even the smallest of cuts gets extracted.

Oh thanks Woodmaster, This has been on my to do list for months, just ordered a couple (albeit they are out of stock!).

Good old Maplin

Someone here, can't remember who, suggested using a switch like you get in bathrooms, for showers etc, a pull cord type - and for me, once I get around to it, it'll be the cheapest solution thats really "easy".

Adam

Last time I noticed the B & Q remote switch was only £13.

Noel

Adam is right. It was me.
I have been using a 16 amp pull-cord switch located over my table saw for a long time. The workshop is not too big so the switch is out of the way but is easily reached from just about any position around the place. If your workshop is bigger just install another switch in a different position - no need for two way switching, you are going to turn it off as soon as you have finished the job in hand anyway. Simple.
All you have to remember is to open the appropriate blast gate for the machine you are about to use.
Cheers.

SF

Latest posts

Back