Automatic Dust extractor power switch

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archpa

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I was in maplin the other day and they are selling the following product for about £15.

http://www.oneclickpower.com/acatalog/#aDSK105

It is designed for switching peripherals off automatically when the computer is switched off, but could possibly work for switching on a dust extractor automatically.

I emailed the manfacturer and as expected they did state that it was not designed for power tools, however they did say the switching capacity is 12A and it can switch inductive loads, so I don't see why it should not work.
They did say using with power tools would invalidate the warranty.

I think it has a 5 sec delay from powerup of master device before the slaves switch on (not ideal), but also a delay of 5 seconds after powerdown of master before the slaves power down, which seems good.

May pop back sometime and pick one up. If I do I'll let you all know how I get on.

If anybody else has tried one of these would be interested to know if it worked okay.

Incidentally the manufacturer mentioned that it was in the process of designing an industrial version...

Paul

I have not tried these but I bought a set of the remote controlled switches from Maplin which were recommended on another thread.
They work a treat with my extractor and also on some fluorescent tubes I could not switch on easily before. Going to buy some more! :)

Rod

Harbo":33grbt58 said:
I have not tried these but I bought a set of the remote controlled switches from Maplin which were recommended on another thread.
They work a treat with my extractor and also on some fluorescent tubes I could not switch on easily before. Going to buy some more! :)

Rod

Rod, did these ones have a 5 sec delay :?:

Oh OK, the difference being Automatic versus remote control

LIDL were also selling remote control sockets in Ireland recently quite cheaply, four sockets and one remote control for about 20 Euro = approx £13

I'm not a huge electronics buff but I'd imagine they'd be easy enough to make, could anyone advise on this? The main component would be a transistor wouldn't it?, when current passes through one 'branch' the other 'branch' is turned on...

I'm not sure of the ratings but would a transistor from this page be suitable???
http://www.futurlec.com/TransPowerMJE.shtml

To have a 'run on' feature would be more difficult, could this be done with a suitable capicator or would something like a 555 timer chip be required?

I have a book named '301 circuits' or something similar, I will check to see if they have an auto-switching circuit in it...

This is more of an academic exercise... it would really be easier to buy something in... lol, :p

I have a cheap set of remote switches, cane from Homebase on one of their 10% days. I opened one to see what was inside (old habit that has got me into trouble :oops: ). They use a small relay for the mains switching.

Joe90":3pzbwyw5 said:
LIDL were also selling remote control sockets in Ireland recently quite cheaply, four sockets and one remote control for about 20 Euro = approx £13

I'm not a huge electronics buff but I'd imagine they'd be easy enough to make, could anyone advise on this? The main component would be a transistor wouldn't it?, when current passes through one 'branch' the other 'branch' is turned on...

I'm not sure of the ratings but would a transistor from this page be suitable???
http://www.futurlec.com/TransPowerMJE.shtml

To have a 'run on' feature would be more difficult, could this be done with a suitable capicator or would something like a 555 timer chip be required?

I have a book named '301 circuits' or something similar, I will check to see if they have an auto-switching circuit in it...

This is more of an academic exercise... it would really be easier to buy something in... lol, :p

Joe, You are barking up the wrong tree here. The circuit has to switch AC and the drift of your post might work for DC and low power at that.

I would strongly suggest the use of a commercial unit such as the lidl ones switching a proper contactor on the dust collector.

hth

Bob

9fingers, thanks for the heads up... I had forgotten about the difference between AC and DC current.... I also realized I was wrong when DaveL posted his message about the commercial ones using a relay....

I wouldn't really attempt to make one in any event... it's just a pity a switching device with a 'run on' is difficult to find by itself, it would save me having to switch on my vacuum before the saw and then switch it off afterwards...

I did a quick Google and found this link...
http://toolmonger.com/2007/04/16/20-auto-switch-50-shop-vacuum-400-festool-dust-collection-vac/

Seems to be just the thing but in the US unfortunately...

A rather belated update... I purchased the product I mentioned at the start of the post. It works fine and you get used to the startup delay...

I have been using one of these computer master / slave sockets for about a year on my shopvac + sliding mitre saw. It works fine doesnt get hot.

Tin

Latest posts

Back