Automatic blast gates

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Real wood

Established Member
Reaction score
As im looking at installing a complete new extraction system in my workshop in the new year im looking at all the possibilities available. Asits not just a hobby im always trying to save money so i dont want to buy an extractor that is too big.

The main reason for this post is that ive been looking at Automatic blast gates and i can only find these in the usa http://www.ecogate.com. Has anyone got something like this or know of where to buy them.

Steve

I beleive felder do a version but youd probobly be cheaper importing in from ecogate......i looked at this but for me it was an expense that i didnt need...(not that its stopped me before) if you are a commericial user then its probobly worthwhile but if you do woodwork occasionally then pulling open blastgates is no real hardship if you position them correctly..

Ian

Yeh im commercial and having to walk to the other end of the workshop to turn the extractor on every time i use a machine is a pain apart from it keeps me fit :lol:

A complete system from ecogate is about $400 with 4 blastgates but its different voltage so im waiting for them to email me back about this.

Steve

Felder do the the control circuitry and vibration sensors, just a thought...at the worst you could use ecogates through a voltage converter available on ebay regularly.....
you could always fit a remote control onto your dust exctractor starter, just more food for thought..

Ian

ps vibration sensors are available from maplins but you wood need to know a bit about electronics to make your own board

As Ian mentioned in his post, Felder sell these.
If it's of interest to you, they Auto start for 1 to 6 machines or 1 to 8. Both of these start the extractor when you start the machine you want and a split second later they open & close the appropriate blast gates. The main unit is £220ish and then you need the gate unit which complete with gate is depending on the size they start at £227. So it's not cheap :eek: .

I'm at the moment racking my brains as very recently there was an article in one of the popular wood mags about this very subject and the author made his own, you'll need some knowledge of electronics.

Hope this helps

Just remembered it was in the WoodWorker mag, ref Keith The Woodsmith article on dust extraction I think it was over 2 issues and the electronic gates was covered in the final issue. You could ask for the back issues on that topic, just a thought :)

FM you've got a good memory :wink: but I think they sold out all the back copies with the dust extraction articles.

Steve if you are interested I could scan the relevant pages, if you PM me your email.

The gates are made from MDF and cost less than £2 each including the switch. They aren't motorised though, opening the gate, by hand, turns on the extractor.

It's the controller thats relatively costly, you can buy one from the likes of Axminster because making one requires a fair degree of electronic knowledge. Dangerous too which is why we didn't publish the circuit diagrams.

I've been using them for years and they are a godsend, all that walking up and down the workshop to switch on the extractor is a thing of the past. Until the controller stops working :roll: .

Keith

I got an email back from Ecogate. They have said that it will work with our voltage. They sent me the price list and instructions. A starter kit which comes with control box, all wiring/sensors and 4 4" blast gates costs $369. Additional blast gates are $49.

steve

Latest posts

Back