Autofeed screwgun...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldeneyedmonkey

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm a general builder/ joiner and need a drywall screwgun that will do a fair amount of work. I'm after advice/ reviews on autofeed screwguns. Have used Makita ones before (albeit slightly well travelled ones) and the screw kept getting jammed in the metal guide on the front, more than likely just due to age. I would definitely consider another Makita as apart from that it was fine, more than likely the 18v version as wires don't half wind me up. But am also considering the Hilti SD5000, as when you are using screws larger than 55mm, as in ones you will use for insulated plasterboards then you can take off the magazine attachment on the front and use it as a normal screwgun.

I'm torn between the two, Hilti is definitely more expensive, but obviously can be used for longer screws freeing up the rest of my 18v Makita gear for other tasks. I see Bosch also do a similar offering with the magazine attachment. Has anyone got any experience with any of the above, good or bad? I'll more than likely go for Makita but I've heard mainly good things about Hilti so I wouldn't mind trying them.

I'd rather have cordless but it's not a deal breaker by any means.

Any help much appreciated. Cheers _Dan.

Is it just for plasterboard? I bought a 'well-travelled' Makita last year for one job (I decided I'd driven way too many drywall screws without one) and it was fine. I haven't used one but the 18v Festool Duradrive is well regarded by people who have, and who also use it for e.g. decking. Similar ££ to the Hilti, might be worth a look??

HTH Pete

Hi mate, I have the makita 18v cordless one. It's the version that takes screws up to 55mm, the other one will take up to 75mm from memory.

I have mixed feelings about the tool, it is brilliant in an open square room with flat ceilings etc. but if your in a more confined space, sloped ceilings etc there are a few jams to deal with. I think a lot of this is due to the belts twisting so it's probably not a problem specific to the makita. Also I find the shorter the screws you use the better ( less stoppages).

For me it's the type of tool that can stay in the van for weeks without being used, but then when it does come out it can pay for itself in a couple of days.

My experience of the Makita one was similar to many others who have used it, that being its a nightmare for jamming, certainly from the reviews I read recently when deciding on which cordless driver to buy.

I ended up with the 2500 rpm Festool Duradrive as it I suitable for wood as well as plaster board though it was suggested if I was only fixing plaster board then the 4500 rpm version was the way to go as it is faster.

I've only had chance to use it a couple of times since getting it the other week but I'm certainly impressed so far & the 5.2 AH battery is the doggies do-dar

I have a Senco 18v nailer. Superb kit, if a little dated looking. Never says no, never had a jam.

I am in the same position as you in that I do a bit of everything building wise. I opted for the festool version and have to say it's superb. Just be aware there are two speeds 4500 and 2500 I think. The 4500 is for the metal stud and the other for wood. Don't bother with festool screws at £25 per 1000 when my local trade store sells Pickardy ones for £8 per thousand! I think we managed about 3000 screws before we needed a charge as well.

Hope this helps.

I have the hilti and is a great machine but i liked my old quick-drive system better takes everything from small plasterboard screws to 76 mm deck screws but the screws are expensive.

Thanks for all the feedback, to sum up the decision so far...

- I don't really wanna get Festool as I am worried I will get the bug! :lol:

- I was after something that, if possible, could drive up to 75mm collated screws, but yeah looking around they aren't half dear and the only unit that can drive up to 75mm collated that I've seen is the Senco, (Makita do one but it would mean buying 2 x drivers to cover the whole range). I don't know if we do enough insulated plasterboards to justify needing a unit that can send in 75mm collated as most of these go onto solid walls, i.e with adhesive/ dot n dab.

- The Senco does look great spec wise, and has recommendations from a few folk, not just you fine gentleman on here, but generally on t'interweb. Albeit they are about £420 new.

- I am leaning towards getting a Hilti still as I can send in collated for most of our normal plasterboarding work, and then when I need to send in longer screws I can take off the magazine at the end and use it for that. But then again, it's the best part of £450 new. But then again, it does look well cool :roll:

I may just get a Makita 18v body only for a couple of hundred and hope that with a lot of care it doesn't get to the stage that it jams. Anyhoo, It's not that time sensitive anymore as one of my colleagues has just bought a corded Makita so I can utilise that most of the time in the near future. But I agree with the point above that it's not out on site all the time, but when it does come out then it pays its way very quickly, so it's probably worth spending a bit on a decent one in the grand scheme of things.

If anyone else has any more recommendations I'm all ears.

Thank you kindly. _Dan.

I was a Hilti addict years ago and got 2 lots stolen. I gave up spending the extra after that and settled for the 'other' stuff. Hilti were for me the Rolls Royce of kit. I had nailers, and drills. All worked flawlessly. As previously said I have a Senco nailer and am just as happy with it.

Back