Autocad - Industry Standards

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freetochat

Established Member
Reaction score
I am slowly working through a tutorial book (Autocad - No experience required by David Frey) to learn cad drawing. In the book, references to industry standards is made often, and whilst I can understand 'industry standards' in architecture, is there such a thing in furniture and kitchen design and drawing.

Regards

John

can't comment on the "standards" but can i ask about the book, how old is it?? I have told people and still will, that if you want to learn autocad then you need to get all your stuff from autodesk and not someone teaching autocad R12. (sorry to be so direct). don't know the book myself so can't comment first hand but i have seen people spend hundreds on these sort of books to then understand that it's all out of date.

Autodesk will be basing all it's stuff on newer releases

Andy

Thanks Andy - the book is the latest version updated to cover Autocad 2006 and published by Sybex. Whilst being a novice, I would give the book a five star rating. It develops the skills through the exercises, and progresses through the alternative methods of drawing. I have been doing about 1.5 hrs in the evening for about ten days, and I am now confident that I could draw an item in 2d without many problems. Next step is to learn the 3d aspects, rendering and the magazine type explosion views.

As an aside, I tried Turbocad and didn't get on with it very well, and I have found Auotcad an easier learning curve. Having said that, I found the tutorial I used for Turbocad wasn't very good so may have influenced my opinion.

Back to the question, in architectural drawing, there are protocols for showing dimensions, door swings etc, and wondered if there is a similar standardisation for furniture?

My next task will be to look at 3d studio max, but that is for another day.

Regards

John

John, good to see your taking the correct route. I won't waste too much time with rendering (materials, lights etc) in Autocad as it's very limited. But as your willing to try 3ds MAX then i would go straight into this from learning the 3d side of autocad.

We don't have an such "protocols" for our furniture drawings, just add what needs to be added to help the makers. We do have a set of standards but this is to suit our furniture ranges and will vary between companies.

Andy

Back