Auto Switching shop vac without builtin power takeoff

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prizen

Established Member
Reaction score
Searching the forum I see some previous suggestions of using a pull cord switch or some sort of RF remote control system to make it more convenient to switch on a vac that's collecting dust from a power tool operation.

I've access to two Henry vacs I'd like to repurpose for such a job ( mitre saw station for one) but would prefer some auto Switching or failing that, a slightly more convenient way of turning on the vac without having to access its own power switch.

I would've thought that it would be easier with smart home tech but that doesn't appear to be the case. I guess I could put an Amazon echo dot in the shop with a smart plug, but I'm not sure Alexa would hear me over the power tool noise!

I also saw suggestions of a special multiple gang socket that has a master and slave arrangement but these appear to be very rare and those that exist are very poorly reviewed as unreliable.

Any advice on alternative options? I also thought of the Amazon echo + Amazon button but these arent readily available to me on Amazon either!!

Thanks

That's exactly what I'm after, thanks! I'm a little shocked at the high price though, might need to sleep on it, especially that I'll likely need two of them

You might consider this Its a precursor to the modern smart switch. Still available if you're interested.
Brian

I have one of those sets with 4 plugs adapters and 1 remote with on off buttons 1 - 4. I use one to power the record extractor on my tablesaw and another for the old vac on my bandsaw.
Not a perfect solution and won't work with no volt release but only cost me about a tenner from Aldi and has been in regular use for over 3 years without issue.

This type of thing but probably can get it cheaper, I saw some not too long ago in Lidl.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Remote-Control ... 1030&psc=1

If you wanted the vac controlled from one machine only, you could simply put a "post switch" outlet on said machine and do it that way.

If you wanted it turned on by any machine in the shop, then somthing like a current clamp on the live feed, running a relay would do it. AliExpress would sell you the parts but you would have to build it yourself. I'm sure it would be pocket change, but you would have to read up on the detail.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EOn-Surge-Pr ... 2749.l2649

For the price of an iVac you can get a Titan vac with auto take-off. I've just taken receipt of these. I've got one connected to my Bosch bench drill and a basic Titan shop vac, a c£30 model without auto-takeoff. When I turn the drill on, the vac comes on and runs for about 20 secs after turning the drill off. However, after those 20 secs, it also turns the drill completely off (the Bosch has a two-stage on-off switch, firt supplies power so you can set speed etc and second starts the actual drilling) Not the end of the world if I drill again within those 20 secs but if I don't I have to resent the adaptor (which immediately brings the vac on) and then power up the drill again.

It's not great (yet!) with devices fitted with NVR switches either. I've tried plugging a Record Power DX100 into the slave and tested with a router (plugged into an NVR socket), a bobbin sander, table saw and band saw. Again, I have to activate the switch first (which starts the DX100 if I have it in the 'on' position) and then whichever tool is attached to it. They only came the other day so not had much time to experiment with them so it might be possible to override the remote sensor somehow. It is designed for a TV and comes with instructions for calibrating it to your tv's remote so that might be one way round it.

julianf":1eaj34pb said:
If you wanted the vac controlled from one machine only, you could simply put a "post switch" outlet on said machine and do it that way.

If you wanted it turned on by any machine in the shop, then somthing like a current clamp on the live feed, running a relay would do it. AliExpress would sell you the parts but you would have to build it yourself. I'm sure it would be pocket change, but you would have to read up on the detail.

What's a post switch?

If you know anything about electrics, then all you need is a RF switch and a motor contactor suitably rated. The rf switch is used to turn on the coil of the contactor.
A RF switch and contactor for around £20 on auction sites.

Prizen":2t6nd4aw said:
julianf":2t6nd4aw said:

What's a post switch?

It's late night bad grammer...

As in take off for the vac after the tool's own switch. So, one single switch (on the tool) controls both the tool and a seperate outlet (iec socket or whatever) that you plug the Henry into.

If you're concerned about switch current handling, looking up the datasheet of the switch probably isn't so hard, or add another relay with a 230v coil for the vac.

I have a little Amazon Echo Dot (the tiny one) in the workshop. It happily hears me over the compressor/chip extractor, though I sometimes have to gently bellow if I'm at the far end (8m away). Brilliant little device which will play podcasts, radio, intercom, and remote-control your extractors.

Mine is the original "1st gen" one, so I can only assume the current "3rd gen" ones are better.

Echo Dot is about £25-30, and each remote switch is under a tenner.

I have a couple of them, hence my earlier post.

They’re ok. Not brilliant. I’ve found that with my bandsaw sometimes I need to turn the bandsaw on first then turn off again before they work. With my sander and hoover they work perfectly.

Latest posts

Back