• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Auto master/slave switch

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you replace it with a "standard" on/off switch? I watched an Aussie do this on youtube. I think he referred to it as a twin-pole, 4 pin rocker switch but the UK results from a google search threw up all manner of things that bore little resemblance to what he used.

Nope I just bypassed it so it's always "on" and then plugged it into a remote controlled socket.
By doing that I didn't have to modify it any way so if I had to return it then it was easy to reinstate the NVR again.

I bought the same BOGOF SMJ master-slave switch from ebay and have found it excellent in my workshop. I use it to turn on my dust extraction (a Wellco CV100 1kW ash vacuum hooked up to a Dust Commander on a 30L steel drum) and it works great with my bandsaw (Charnwood B350 1.1kW), thicknesser (Triton TPT125 1.1kW) and router (table)(Triton MOF001 1.4kW).

Did you replace it with a "standard" on/off switch? I watched an Aussie do this on youtube. I think he referred to it as a twin-pole, 4 pin rocker switch but the UK results from a google search threw up all manner of things that bore little resemblance to what he used.
Look for a double pole switch either single or double throw (DPST or DPDT)
(ST is a simple on/off switch, DT is a changeover switch but can also be use as simple on/off)

Tread carefully, the seller states they are for IT use and not tablesaws, and as @Rorschach has said are wired in 0.75mm, 6 amps or 1400 watts . A solution would be to use the device to switch a contactor and the you could run much larger extractors.

Tread carefully, the seller states they are for IT use and not tablesaws, and as @Rorschach has said are wired in 0.75mm, 6 amps or 1400 watts . A solution would be to use the device to switch a contactor and the you could run much larger extractors.

I will be careful on mine but to be fair it's the same rating as the power take on my Lidl vac. The vac is 1200W and the socket is max 1400W, so this switch has the same rating essentially. I don't think I have any portable power tools that draw more than 1200W and the new Henry I am using is 1200W so within the spec of wiring and less than total draw of 13A.

Some people run some very big extraction systems of 3 Kw but I use just a small Nilfisk and a bigger SIP as don't have the space to give up for anything bigger and wear decent mask, plus don't use much MDF!

For all those looking at big extraction systems using barrels and cyclones, has anyone thought of converting a wheelie bin.

https://dustarrest.com/products/max...-oHRVXtBBwMCrunKKTtcbRW1zc2zPbbxoC8UAQAvD_BwE

Based on it being DPST, yes.
You’ll need to confirm it physically fits where you propose to mount it and that the rating is OK etc.

Double pole means it is effectively two switches in one unit that operate together. Use one pole for for the live connection, the other for the neutral. This is why there are 4 terminals.

First I would like to say big thank you to hunter27 for suggesting this awesome device on this forum.

Having using it for a week with all my power tools I am now spoiled and looking for a way to improve workflow further.

I wonder if anyone can make a suggestion - basically I am looking for a switch which can allow the following:
Condition 1: vacuum connected via master/slave switch and comes on when a power tool connected to master is switched on
Condition 2: vacuum comes on on its own (without power tool)
- so it can be used to clean workshop
Condition 3 (optional): everything is OFF

I found something which looks like it may do the job but it cost too much.

At the moment I have to unplug the vacuum from the master/slave switch and plug it to mains directly, do the cleaning bit and then unplug from mains and plug back to master/slave switch. It feels like a problem which must have been solved by many people before.

First I would like to say big thank you to hunter27 for suggesting this awesome device on this forum.

Having using it for a week with all my power tools I am now spoiled and looking for a way to improve workflow further.

I wonder if anyone can make a suggestion - basically I am looking for a switch which can allow the following:
Condition 1: vacuum connected via master/slave switch and comes on when a power tool connected to master is switched on
Condition 2: vacuum comes on on its own (without power tool)
- so it can be used to clean workshop
Condition 3 (optional): everything is OFF

I found something which looks like it may do the job but it cost too much.

At the moment I have to unplug the vacuum from the master/slave switch and plug it to mains directly, do the cleaning bit and then unplug from mains and plug back to master/slave switch. It feels like a problem which must have been solved by many people before.

I screwed mine to the cupboard behind the vac. When I want to use the vac I plug it into the grey one (master), this is where it will live most of the time for general cleaning. When I want to use a tool I move the vac to the white socket and plug the tool into the grey. Super easy and took me about 10 minutes to set up.

When I want to use the vac I plug it into the grey one (master), this is where it will live most of the time for general cleaning. When I want to use a tool I move the vac to the white socket and plug the tool into the grey. Super easy and took me about 10 minutes to set up.

Thank you for the suggestion Rorschach
What bugs me is the number of actions required to change over from "vacuum + tool" to "vacuum standalone" - it is at least 3 steps every time ( maybe I clean up too often) and requires 2 hands (one to hold the Master or Slave outlet and the other to pull/insert Tool/Vacuum plug)
1. Unplug Tool from Master
2. Unplug Vacuum from Slave
3. Plug Vacuum to Master

I found that this discourages from doing a cleanup as frequently as I would like and work area becomes a real mess in my case.
Also, by the time I complete this devices switch routine I sometimes forget what I was going to do with the tool.
Not saying it is not a good suggestion, just found that it does not work in my case specifically.

What bugs me is the number of actions required to change over from "vacuum + tool" to "vacuum standalone" - it is at least 3 steps every time ( maybe I clean up too often) and requires 2 hands (one to hold the Master or Slave outlet and the other to pull/insert Tool/Vacuum plug)
3. Plug Vacuum to Master

I found that this discourages from doing a cleanup as frequently as I would like and work area becomes a real mess in my case.
Also, by the time I complete this devices switch routine I sometimes forget what I was going to do with the tool.
Not saying it is not a good suggestion, just found that it does not work in my case specifically.

Yes this why I screwed mine to the cupboard so it only needs one hand and no searching for the socket. Since I have to plug the tool in anyway (1 step) I figured the extra step of moving the vac plug 4inches to the left wasn't too arduous. Mine is used mostly on vac rather than tool, so it works ok for me.

Yes this why I screwed mine to the cupboard so it only needs one hand and no searching for the socket. Since I have to plug the tool in anyway (1 step) I figured the extra step of moving the vac plug 4inches to the left wasn't too arduous. Mine is used mostly on vac rather than tool, so it works ok for me.
I see. Good idea.
The difference in my case is that I plug the tool on the other side of the vacuum hose. All my tools have a DYI plug-it type connection so when I change the hose from one tool to another I change the power connection at the tool side. The plug connected to Master socket of the auto switch never need changing and I would rather keep it that way.

I see. Good idea.
The difference in my case is that I plug the tool on the other side of the vacuum hose. All my tools have a DYI plug-it type connection so when I change the hose from one tool to another I change the power connection at the tool side. The plug connected to Master socket of the auto switch never need changing and I would rather keep it that way.

Could you put the plug it connectors on the master/slave switch instead of the sockets? The sockets are only generic 3 pin sockets, nothing special.

Could you put the plug it connectors on the master/slave switch instead of the sockets? The sockets are only generic 3 pin sockets, nothing special.
Certainly. Not sure I follow the reason why do this though.

The reason i mentioned "plug-it" is just to say that I never have to physically plug a cord of each tool directly into the Master/Slave auto switch when I change the tool.
Instead there is a flex cable attached to the vacuum hose. One end of that flex cable is plugged into the Master/Slave auto switch (via normal 3 pin plug and it never gets unplugged) and the other end terminates at the end of the vacuum hose with a plug-it thingy.

Presently (if I want to use the vac standalone) I have two options
A. unplug vacuum from Slave socket and plug in a wall socket
B. Unplug vacuum from Slave socket, unplug extension flex from Master socket, plug Vacuum into Master socket

Option A takes less steps, but that still feels sub optimal.
I would rather invest a couple of hours once and wire "one finger switch like" solution rather than keep doing plug/unplug routine.

Perhaps worth mentioning - due to RSI in both my wrists - plug / unplug option is much harder than a switch because requires to grab the plug with the force my fingers not always happy to provide.

3. Plug Vacuum to Master

Easy fix is to connect a multi-way extension block to the tool socket and plug a heater into one of the outlets. If you want the vac on just turn on the heater. Not so good in this heat mind.

Harder fix is to use a change over switch (DPDT) to connect the vac (common terminals) to either the auto switch or a permanent mains supply.

Easy fix is to connect a multi-way extension block to the tool socket and plug a heater into one of the outlets. If you want the vac on just turn on the heater. Not so good in this heat mind.
This is a great idea. Thank you.

Harder fix is to use a change over switch (DPDT) to connect the vac (common terminals) to either the auto switch or a permanent mains supply.

Are you abel to elaborate on DPDT switch design please?
I have come up with the attached, using 2 way light switch, but not 100% sure if this has any glaring electrical issues.

Attachments

• enTyS.png
    enTyS.png
    36.3 KB · Views: 20
Are you abel to elaborate on DPDT switch design please?
I have come up with the attached, using 2 way light switch, but not 100% sure if this has any glaring electrical issues.

Exactly what you have done except your switch is SPDT…
SP= Single pole - it switches one wire
DT= Double Throw - it switches in two positions

I would go DPDT….
DP= Double Pole - it switches two wires
DT= as above
this allows both live and neutral wires to be switched.
There are also ‘DPDT Centre Off‘ switches which do what they say - there is a central off position where there is no connection.

Back