Auto drain compressor valve

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColeyS1

Established Member
Reaction score
Having a bit of a workshop rearrangement and ended up moving the compressor. Where its located now would make it a tad more difficult to get to the drain valve on the bottom to let the moisture out. I stumbled across this.
bfec084d68e259bff4546edbf0422e06.jpg

I never knew such a thing existed. If it does work it'll be £16 well spent. You can set how often the valve opens (0.5 - 10 seconds) then how often it opens (30 seconds - 50 minute intervals) I'm waiting for an adaptor to allow it to bolt into the existing compressor hole, I'll report back then. Just to add there are other brands available with varying prices. If this one turns out to be a flop I might have to try a more expensive one.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I'd have thought that unless you are using an awful lot of air that a once per day drain cycle would be more than enough. The 50 minutes is a bit short imho

I have had one on my compressor for about a year now. I only use the compressor intermittantly and tfor me it's main benifit is I can't forget to use it.
I bought a cheapy very simialr to yours and it is still going strong.
Just be aware it is very loud when it goes off and there is no warning. It certainly makes sure the old ticker is still functioning/

James

Myfordman":291tnyke said:
I'd have thought that unless you are using an awful lot of air that a once per day drain cycle would be more than enough. The 50 minutes is a bit short imho
It does seem to be recharging quite often during the day despite having a large tank.
98481a46815dbae9676b169ef7833797.jpg

When I was using it for vac bagging it was recharging roughly every 6 minutes. I've got hold of a cheap spray booth so will have a more serious attempt now I can manage the overspray. The other thing I could do is set the unit for 10 second blast every 30 seconds, then use an electronic timer to have it turn on a couple minutes a day. If it gets drained every 2 weeks it's doing at the moment lol.

Jamesc":1l9r2bar said:
I have had one on my compressor for about a year now. I only use the compressor intermittantly and tfor me it's main benifit is I can't forget to use it.
I bought a cheapy very simialr to yours and it is still going strong.
Just be aware it is very loud when it goes off and there is no warning. It certainly makes sure the old ticker is still functioning/

James
That's what I'm hoping, besides doing the odd check it should sort itself out. I'll wait to see how terrifying it is before considering have it go off less...I think. Its a shame I didn't get one when the compressor was new. The water that drains out now is rather brown which cant be good.

phil.p":v8kdkxgd said:
I've just looked at some details on Amazon - I think one of the manufacturers might be on to something -
Wattage 2 watts
Horsepower 2 horsepower :lol:
Oh Phil, I do hope my new toy isn't garbage [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND SMILING EYES]

Simpler is to plumb a line (hydraulic hose works nicely) to where you have access and put a ball valve on it. A friend has his plumbed to the outside after the valve. No noise in the shop and strays don't hang around outside.

Pete

This is why I like this forum: I never knew that compressor tanks need draining! Will be first thing I do this evening, after coffee. I wonder how much water is in my 100 litre tank?

Note to self: read the #@&&%@£ manual next time!

(The problem with knowing nothing is that sometimes knowledge is useful).

Update: So, I emptied out the water, all 100ml or so. Three years of admittedly intermittent use, and all I got was half a cupfull of rusty water. I am seriously disappointed. I was expecting floods and tsunamis and divers rains of frogs and goats. Perhaps I do not have as much humidity as the UK.

I was quite surprised when I drained mine a litle while ago after a week or two of not doing it. It's a Clarke bought for a specific job in 2002, and it's the first time I've actually thought to look at the water - not a sign of rust. :D

I have one on my Bambi BB50D - it makes a phut=hiss as per settings , I have it set quite frequent as the compressor is not in daily use and imho more excersise is good for it, I want the compressor heads to get good and hot to discourage condensation in the motors.
Watch out where you point the outlet it can make a mess.

Oh, it brings back memories... Being the apprentice and having to drain the compressor at the end of each week, the 200l compressor was stored outside underneath a hood to keep the rain off it. To drain the compressor you had to go prone to be able to reach under and get at the drain switch, which was fine unless it had been raining and a decent puddle had accumulated under the drain point. Considering how often it rains this way it's safe to say getting soaked by high velocity, dirty rain water at clock-off time on a Friday was a regular occurrence :( Having the compressor outside was excellent as it kept the noise down (Except when it had vibrated it's way up against the wall and it sounded like someone was running a jackhammer in the room next door :)) but the only drawback was that it would suck up more humidity into the tank which was bad enough that you could see the vapour coming out of an air blower some days. Wouldn't want to know what that vapour would be doing to the pnematics on some of the machines we had like the 4-cutter, spindle moulders and air guillotine.

Good times... :)

Quick question. I've just unbolted the nut on the bottom that held in the existing drain screw. Theres quite a bit of rusty dirt. I'm wondering if it might block the new electronic valve- is it worth washing the tank out? I've got a pressure washer drain attachment I could insert and gently rinse/flush.

Back