Australian travel and spiders

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pren

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey. Bit of a random one!

My good lady and I are planning a 12month working holiday in Oz at the end of the year. Looking for a bit of a change of scene. We'll probably be travelling all around the country, working on fruit farms.

The one thing that's concerning us is the creepie crawlies. We both HATE spiders. Snakes and all the rest - no problem. I've read stories of people waking up to find spiders the size of my hand running across them. Similarly of the wee beasties lurking in unexpected places. :shock:

Does anyone have any experience of life down under? Is it as riddled with the evil mini beasts as my imagination makes out or are domestic encounters with them fairly few and far between? It's not the venemous nature of them - from what I've read a deadly spidey bite is pretty rare.

I know it's not something that should stop us doing this, but it really is something that would scare the bejeesus out of us. :(

Oz has some of the most venemous spders in the world [ similar stats for snakes and jelly fish.]

Like real estate, location location location is key and fruit farms are by their nature ideal locations for the critters so you need to be aware of where they might 'hang' out.

However they are passive rather than active so they, as yet, dont hunt humans but if u put a limb in thier space and threaten them then...................

If u do get bitten it is critical that the spder is brought with you to the medics so as the correct antivenum can be administered.

http://www.spiders.com.au/ is one of c 500,000 results to the search australian poisonous spiders

Hi,

ALL spiders are poisonous and there are 2000 in the average house.

They have been around since before dinosaurs waked the earth, I love them, fantastig amazing creatures.

DSC_0181.jpg

Pete

Check the toilet rims before you sit down.. There is a very nasty spider that likes it in there I think it's the brown recluse or funnel-web but I could be wrong.

Pvt_Ryan":7lp6wwy2 said:
Check the toilet rims before you sit down.. There is a very nasty spider that likes it in there I think it's the brown recluse or funnel-web but I could be wrong.

You definitely don't want to get bitten by a brown recluse....see my second thread.

Fruit picking is HARD work my friend, they say that some of the jobs pay you well, but none that we found while out there. On your feet all day in the baking sun, doing monotonous work for not much cash! Not wanting to put a downer on your trip, you'll have an amazing time. But it'll be hard graft. Are you an old Philipino woman by any chance? :D Because if so, they seemed to be the 'Terminators' of the fruit picking world, especially good at Blueberries.

There's not much to worry about with snakes and spiders, we saw a few snakes, but they were scuttling off into the undergrowth. They will get away from you before you see them generally, they feel the vibrations in the earth and then scarper, if in doubt clap your hands as you're walking about. That's what a guide on a white-water rafting trip did to scare them off the rocks where they were basking. Saw a few big spiders but they were pretty blatant, so I doubt you'll physically run into them, just remember to shake your boots before you stick them on! :)

Have a good time, Cheers _Dan.

Hey, thanks for all the replies! :lol:

I'm sure I'm making more of an issue about this in my head than it actually is. I think I'd be ok if I can see the spidey from a distance and I can avoid it. It's just the idea of having one creep up on me when I'm not expecting it! The Brown Recluse is DEFINITELY one of them!

I've done a fair bit of fruit farm work in this country, so I've got a fair idea of what to expect. Obviously it'll be a lot hotter.

Guess I'll just have to 'man-up' and stop being such wuss! All part of the adventure.... :roll: :lol: :lol:

Hi

Don't be a wimp! :lol: :lol: :lol:

We spent a month there Nov 2009 and despite actively searching and poking holes with a stick, the only spiders I saw were dead ones :-? which had been fished out of the pool.

I'd echo all that Dan said, especially the boot shaking and just use common sense and look before putting your hands among the fruit.

Haven't got the statistics to hand but if you do a web search I think you'll find the chance of serious injury or death from bites is much lower than perceived.

Have a great time and don't worry about it - My wife is petrified of all things that slide and crawl but we're still going back there for another hol next Nov \:D/

cheers

Bob

Not much consolation but oz coffee is particularly good. Flat white with a couple of slices of raisin bread.
Kangaroos have a deadly kick* BTW :lol: :lol:

*PS and big long yellow teeth!

300px-Kangaroo.JPG

I worked in a wild flower wholesalers whilst travelling and was bitten by a spider (unknown) according to my colleagues whose sanguine advice was 'you'll be right'. I was, just had a big hot lump on my thumb / back of hand for a day or so.

They used to save the redbacks in the plastic water cups and let them go outside. I was near Perth at the time.

My wife had a fall the first week in Oz on one visit, broke her leg, required complete hip replacement joints, I think she tripped over something with six legs but it was dark so I cannot swear to that.
But the good side was the Aussies where absolutely marvellous we were embarrassed in the end at their offers of hospitality.

Don't get bitten by a kangaroo :shock:

image004.jpg

pren":1z3ljxno said:
Hey. Bit of a random one!

My good lady and I are planning a 12month working holiday in Oz at the end of the year. Looking for a bit of a change of scene. We'll probably be travelling all around the country, working on fruit farms.

How the hell did you get a VISA for that?!?

BugBear

Back