Australian squatters chair

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianharris35

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone made one of these chairs ? It's basically a frame with deck chair fabric slung in between. The sticky out bits swing out from under the arms to rest your legs. I am told that it is very comfortable.

Attachments

Never have seen one of those...... it has Arts-and-Crafts-Morris flavours about the design with a Barry-Island-deck-chair tingle. A lingering sense of much comfort.

I've just made my take on a Stickley rocker, - a la Gustav - so I'm much taken with the idea of easy sitting.

This question reminded me that getting hold of deckchair canvas at a reasonable price and quality is difficult. Our local market never has any and on line the prices are ridiculous. Any suggestions?
Martin

Check beach windbreaks as they are quite cheap and the same basic colour design usually

I am at the stage of sourcing the canvas. I need about 500mm x 1.5m. Never thought about a wind breaker, good tip, thanks.

A handsome and unique piece of kit, I like that unorthodox style .... I'd be interested to see how it goes.
As another thought and unless you are hooked on striped deck-chair-type materials, there are a number of Yurt-makers scattered around who use a high grade of canvas.

Good luck with it

Hi Brian I make rocking deckchairs and have a contact for the stripey material which I shall dig out this morning, but on most of mine I use plain coloured terylene which I get from a local company who make boat covers etc, they hem the edges for me as well.
I wouldn’t like to put all my leg weight on that swivelling joint, it will give eventually I’m afraid. 8711B853-6FCD-49E1-8A8C-E2BDB6DAC6B4.jpeg408B28A0-8571-43BD-82C1-E2553113671A.jpeg

A long time ago I went to India with my girl friend at the time. We had a few days in Bombay (as it was called then) and a friend invited us to The Bombay Gymkhana to watch a Sunday cricket match, great fun was had all round
Bombay_Gymkhana.jpg

Anyway, sitting on the huge veranda were a score of these Planter's chairs. Planter's Chair.jpg Very comfortable after a few too many Tom Collins'.

Look like a bit more sophisticated version of the Australian one although a lot more work.

Just thought it interesting how a picture can trigger memories. Carry on

Back