August Woodturning Challenge - THE RESULTS

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henton49er

Established Member
Reaction score
Richard has kindly sent me his deliberations and thoughts about the quality of the entries; I have stirred the old grey matter into action to compile the entrants' scores and the overall scores and here is the result of all that hectic activity:

Judges Scoring

1st - Dalboy - This was a clear winner for me, showing the best attention to detail as far as finish goes, no marks in the cup or on the base, a lovely even shine all over and a nice pair of captive rings. I would have liked to see a bit more shaping in the foot, it's all a bit soft for my taste, some more crisp detail would have been better for me, but this is a matter of personal taste and it is a good entry none the less - 10 points

2nd - Grahamshed - First goblet? An excellent effort Graham! Nice simple form, well executed. I would have liked a thinner stem and there is a slight dimple in the bottom of the cup, but other wise good - 8 points

3rd - Dennisk - This would have been the winner but for what appears to be sign of torn grain inside the cup. Otherwise this is the best balanced shape and a really nice goblet - 6 points

4th - Woodmonkey - A really good effort and another first goblet. The only thing that jars for me is the stem, which appears a bit thick and the curve doesn't really work for me, but apart from that, an excellent effort. A very good level of finishing inside the cup and on the base on a challenging timber. Well done - 4 points

5th - Winemaker - I liked the overall shape of this one, probably more than Woodmonkey's entry, but it had to place it after Woodmonkey's because of the level of finish and attention to detail. Good form but the base and inside of the cup need a little more attention. Good effort though! - 2 points

6th - Wybrook - Sorry Wybrook, a good effort and I very much like the idea of the thistle goblet, which works well. Certainly a unique design, but I had to mark it down as you did cut through it! Such a shame because the shape is good as is the level of finish and attention to detail, would have been placed much higher if it wasn't for the mishap!
1 point (being the only other entrant)

Well done all!

Keep up the good work

Richard

Entrants' Scores

All six entrants provided me with their choices for the top three entries. A close run thing for first place with Dennisk and Woodmonkey each being placed first by three of the entrants, but Dennisk wins by virtue of his greater number of second and third places. These two were well clear of all the other entrants.

1st - Dennisk - 5 points
2nd - Woodmonkey - 4 points
3rd - Grahamshed - 3 points
4th - Dalboy - 2 points
5th - Wybrook - 1 point

Overall Scores

1st and winner of the month's plaque with 12 points - Dalboy =D> =D> =D>
2nd equal with 11 points - Dennisk and Grahamshed
4th with 8 points - Woodmonkey
5th equal with 2 points - Wybrook and Winemaker

Year to Date Scoreboard

Name Total Score to Date

Dalboy 65
Dennisk 65
KimG 35
Sheptonphil 34
woodmonkey 31
Random Orbital Bob 27
nev 24
Grahamshed 21
wybrook 19
heatherw 18
sammo 16
tpot 14
winemaker 12
swb58 8
procell 7
Soylent1 5
NickWelford 3
Tazmaniandevil 3
Vic Perrin 2
gregmcateer 1
jethro 1
Melinda_dd 1
Rich Morgan 1
SteveF 1

So, on we go to the September Challenge when you have to make a nice pair! :roll: :lol: :shock:

Well done everyone and thanks to Mike and Richard. Enthusiasm for the competition seems to be waning a little, big call to arms for all the wood turners out there, come on and have a go!

Well done all there is some good turning being produced.

Woodmonkey":4y8e2g70 said:
Well done everyone and thanks to Mike and Richard. Enthusiasm for the competition seems to be waning a little, big call to arms for all the wood turners out there, come on and have a go!

I agree Woodmonkey I know some people take holiday's about this time but I am sure not every one at the same time :lol:

Wow.
2nd
Cant believe it
:shock:
Well done everyone
Thanks Paul and Mike for your work, and yes, come on everybody, where have all the entries gone ?

Good stuff folks! I was just too busy this month but hope to have a go at the next one.

Woodmonkey":3891g2uh said:

There is indeed a drop off in numbers. Entries this year so far (January to August) have been:

13, 12, 14, 15, 10, 9, 6, 6 :cry: :cry: :cry:

The September Challenge is for a pair of anything you like to turn, so .....

no reason not to have a good number of entries.

Latest posts

Back