August Challenge - The Results and comments

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nev

Established Member
Reaction score
I have the results from Richard and they are as follows....

The results are in!!

Low number of entries this month but judging needs to be as strict as ever! I thought that the level of finishing was as high as ever but some of the shapes left a little to be desired.

1st - DuncanH - Really like the square slatted bowl. Simple clean lines and excecuted very well and to a very high standard. Well done.

2nd - Henton49er - A very good example of a Les Thorn style bowl. I particularly like the airbrushing of the leaves inside, I haven't seen this done before and think it really adds to the design. Done with restraint too as some thing like this is easy to get carried away with! Really good entry.

3rd - Nev - Just cos your running it now doesn't mean your gonna win Nev!! :lol: :wink: But a really good entry with this simple bowl. I really like the detail, simple but effective. You came up with a good solution to making the lines too. Good entry.

4th - Gus - An interesting bowl. I didn't like the design originally but it has grown on me over the last few days of looking at it. Well turned and well finished bowl, well done.

5th - Hesh - Nice simple bowl with clean lines. Beech isn't one of the easiest wood to use for bowl work but I think you've done well here. The textured band looks well excecuted if a little wide for my taste. good entry.

Well done everyone that entered. I am, as always, happy to give feedback on the entries either on the forum or via PM.

Good luck for next month

Richard

Please post any comments below. :)

Well done D, and all that entered =D> and thank you Richard, a wide range of styles to ponder over.
I am still always surprised when i get a mention in dispatches, and that definitely goes for this month too. well chuffed to be in the top 5 (even if there was only nine entries this month).

Hopefully with the school holidays (and by the looks of it, summer :( ) over, everyone may have a little more free time and there will be a few more entries for next month :wink:

Well done everyone, can't argue with the results.

Richard, you were not alone in not particularly liking mine to start with. I have gone from er.... yeah.... to actually its not too bad. Its just a continuation of the style I started before I had my seven month break and I'm trying to ease myself back in!!

Well done Duncan, forward the weedpots!!

Nev , You survived :mrgreen: See it was not as bad as you thought :lol:

Well done everyone , sorry I have not been able to enter but I am still under Doctors Orders !!! :(

Love this months entry's , some very nice quality work =D>

Nev Did anyone get any points ? :lol:

nev":32954lco said:
2nd - Henton49er - A very good example of a Les Thorn style bowl. I particularly like the airbrushing of the leaves inside, I haven't seen this done before and think it really adds to the design. Done with restraint too as some thing like this is easy to get carried away with! Really good entry.

I am gobsmacked!!! I thought my entry was quite good, but to get a second place was just great. Richard can obviously tell that I have had some tuition from Les Thorne!!. This was quite a challenge for me as I have never done a bowl with an inserted ring before. When I had finished sanding the ring it was too lose. Unfortunately I had no time to do another so just ran with it. By the time I had painted the ring and sprayed the edge of the ebonised section it was a comfortable but tight fit - any bigger and I would have been sanding the edge of the bowl!!

Thanks to Nev for the organisation, to Richard for the marking, and to all the other entrants. A classy field, I particularly liked DuncanH's bowl - very clever and superbly executed.

Blister":192jp322 said:
Nev , You survived :mrgreen: See it was not as bad as you thought :lol:

Nev Did anyone get any points ? :lol:

Nope, I keep them all :twisted:

1st. DuncanH - 6 points
2nd. Henton49er - 5 points
3rd. Nev (me) - 4 points
4th. Gus - 3 points
5th. Hesh - 2 points
joint 6th. Alli, DennisK, Silverbirch and Wildman - 1 point each

and if Duncan would be kind enough to PM me his address, I shall post the winners medal =D>

Well done to everyone this month, pleased with 2 points but more pleased to have got an entry in after a busy couple of months. A stand out winner in Duncan in my opinion as well and hopefully there will be a few more entries next month as I'd hate to see this die off.

I've got plenty of weeds so now to make something to put them in.

Steve

Wow. Thanks for the vote Richard.
There was an interesting range of shapes and styles this month, which is what I'd hoped to see which such an open category.

Address pm'ed

Great entries and brilliant top five. Unfortunately couldn't enter this month, but I think I would have been embarrassed by my inadequate entry in comparison. Congrats.

well done everyone. now not sure I can make a pot big enough to wee in. I really could do with some instruction methinks, all this self teaching is bad for the soul when results are poor and "design leaves something to be desired", hell yes I recognise thats me, never mind can only improve, only way is up.

Latest posts

Back