Augers and Braces

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bean

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
I recently reached into the depth of my Grandfarthers toolbox and pulled up a set of augers in resonable nick but no brace to drive them with, it had gone walkies over the years :roll:
Anyway my question is this what could one expect to pay for a decent brace these days, the only one I have seen new is in DICK Tools but that is a bit pricey for a play.

Any advice on price and possible locations will be welcome.

Bean

Check out eBay, there is usually a few braces around.
My friendly toolman usually has a couple on his stall but I don't know what he wants for them as I have an old one I rescued from being concreted into a garden path a few years ago that I relly need to clean up when I get the tuit.

MudMan unfortunately the only good seconhand tool shop hereabouts closed a few years ago, and he was primarily an Engineering Man. Very good if you wanted an unusual spanner but little or no interest in woodworking tools. I'll keep looking though.

Next job is to sharpen the augers it will be good to use them again, they have not been used in anger since the early 60's

Bean

Bean,

You'll practically fall over braces at any car boot sale you care to go to, and for a pittance; everyone and his missus used to own a brace so there are plenty of them about. Check the jaws aren't worn, and look for a ratcheting one with ball bearings under the pad (spin the flat bit at the other end from the chuck and you should hear the bearings, and certainly feel the smooth running if they're present).

As regards sharpening the augers, I assume you know which areas to do and which bits not to alter? And the lead screw sharpening trick?

Cheers, Alf

HI Bean

As Alf says, car boots (Tesco Beaumont Leys on Sundays is a large sale)

Alternate is a huge tool stall at Loughborough Market on Saturdays. I got some nice 'T' section cramps from him.

Alf No I dont know the trick please enlighten me

Tony The tool stall on the market doen't seem to have any, I also got some clamps there though.

Bean

Ta Alf its obvious when you read it. :D

Still the simplist things are sometimes=mes the cleverest

Bean

Latest posts

Back