Auger Bit Braces: second hand prices

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bobblezard":1l54exz9 said:
I've managed to find decent bits by cobbling together odd ones here and there and working to restore and sharpen them.
I've found the brace really useful recently when driving large screws to join joists or sleepers using a hex bit adaptor that I got off eBay for a few quid. Much more controlled and satisfying than an impact driver. Really good for loosening old screws too. Very quick undoing bolts.
Find myself looking for other uses

agree I use it a lot of screwing, today I used one with pozi drive screw to hook a plant holder into a fence, very satisfying indeed and silent.

On the subject of braces, one that I have become particularly fond of is my vintage sixpenny brace. Simple, light in weight, no ratchet mechanism, just a simple square tapered hole with a pinch screw. In combination with centre bits (the old sort with no screw lead, just a tapered spur), or smaller twist augers, it's lighter to use than an eggbeater, and will drive even quite large centre bits through hardwood, albeit at a slow rate of feed. I use mine whenever I can in preference to the heavy 10" Stanley ratchet brace, which only comes out for deep, large diameter holes that demand an auger bit. It's great for countersinking, too. Three or four turns, and the job's done.

Jim Bodes site lists previously sold Stanley No 73 - 5In for $195, and one in stock for $125. At a recent M. J. Donnelly auction in the USA the same model sold for US$258.75!
The tool description:
"An extremely rare and essentially unused FIVE-INCH SWEEP RATCHET BIT BRACE, No. 73, by Stanley Tools. This brace retains nearly all of its original finishes including the black ebonized handles. It is marked with the designation No. 73-5 In. on the upper arm. These were never listed in Stanley catalogues and were likely produced for some military maintenance function during the Second World War. The only example of this rare Stanley brace of which we are aware.
Estimate: $200.00 - $400.00."
In Aus' that brace is probably worth Au$60.00 approx' US$40.
Cheers,
Geoff.

Latest posts

Back