Audiobook recommendations.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustBen

Established Member
Reaction score
I've recently listened again to 'A Short History Of Nearly Everything' by Bill Bryson and find it very interesting.

I originally got it because my knowledge of history is minimal but soon discovered that it wasn't the kind of history book I was expecting/looking for.
Nonetheless, I thought it was excellent.

Does anyone have any recommendations that are of a similar nature?
ie.... Ones that cover a wide area to a certain depth but not so specific like 'the use of cutlery in the 1870s'

It was also have to be available in audio form.
I don't have time to read but spend 45hours a week on the road.

I recently listened to a great book called '80 trades around the world' think you'd like it, easy to listen to and really interesting.

I also do a lot of driving and listen to audio books to pass the time. I prefer to listen to novels (can sometimes get through an entire book in a day) but the Bill Bryson book, Notes from a Small Island is brilliant. The American take on the British is hilarious!

I'll have a think about other books I've enjoyed and get back to you.

Mark

I have listened to the audible versions of Michael Connelly's books, Jo Nesbo, Peter James, Michael Robotham. Great authors.

Not the same as what you're looking for, but worth trying!

It sounds like you're after factual rather than fiction, but a few years ago I went through a number of the Jack Aubrey/Stephen Maturin novels by Patrick O-Brian (of Master & Commander fame). I listened to the unabridged versions and found them excellent, but I remember finding one narrator/reader better in his characterisations than another - I've no idea who the narrators were though, so not terribly helpful! At the time they were available from my local library which was a bargain.

Not a specific book recommendation, but you might like to know about Librivox - https://librivox.org/.

It's a voluntary project, creating audiobooks which are available for free, no strings attached. Most of the titles available are out of copyright fiction, but there over 7000 available and they do range across many genres. Look on it as a good way to try something you might not otherwise have gone for, at no risk.

Also, many public libraries now have services where you can 'borrow' audio books - check your local library's website. You can generally download from home, using your library ticket number.

KevM":3bhtcu6k said:
It sounds like you're after factual rather than fiction, but a few years ago I went through a number of the Jack Aubrey/Stephen Maturin novels by Patrick O-Brian (of Master & Commander fame). I listened to the unabridged versions and found them excellent, but I remember finding one narrator/reader better in his characterisations than another - I've no idea who the narrators were though, so not terribly helpful! At the time they were available from my local library which was a bargain.
An excellent series. I have them a;; ( I think ) and listen to them time and again.

murdoch":3us47qe3 said:
I recently listened to a great book called '80 trades around the world' think you'd like it, easy to listen to and really interesting.

There was a tv series of the same name. It was interesting but I only caught a couple of episodes. Might look for the audiobook myself.

Thanks for the info chaps.

I do occasionally listen to fiction but that tends to be Clive Cussler novels.
It only takes a couple of days to listen to one of his but after a week of them I need a few weeks off.
Too much will make me think I'm Kurt Austin or Dirk Pitt!

I also listen to comedy sometimes like Chris Addison's Civilization. (With a Z)
Or Ricky Gervais podcasts.

I haven't been to a library in over 15 years but will look into it.
Will also have a look at that site Andy.

If you have a smart phone I recommend librivox app most are books in the public domain (ie old) but they have a huge selection, I'm dislexic and don't sleep a lot so tend to go through a book a week

Russ

We have just finished listening to David Jasons autobiography and it is absoloutly superb and I would recomend it to anyone.

There is so very much 'bin in that situation' and it is so well written. A very interesting bloke too. Well owrth a listen a couple of times.

If you want something light and funny then there's Jeeves stories and his antics.

Another autobiography-ish is 'Catch me if you can' written and read by Frank W Abagnale, a 16 year old who conned most of the world in the 60s and was a multi millionaire by 21. All of it conned. You can't help but wissh him luck. He never conned a person, always big business like PanAm. Fascinating, funny and very moving all in one package!!

There are loads of autobiographys available that are well worth the listen..

Enjoy :mrgreen:

Back