Auction on Saturday Who's going

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Martin

They take debit and credit cards. I think there might be a surcharge for credit cards but I always pay with switch.

See you then. Although I think I'm going to have to restrict my buying after working out that I have nearly 300 cuft of timber in store already. Mainly from the last two auctions!

Cheers

Tim

tim":1woyev5q said:
Although I think I'm going to have to restrict my buying after working out that I have nearly 300 cuft of timber in store already. Mainly from the last two auctions!

Cheers

Tim

Better pop round with the trailer to make some space for you chap. :wink: Sunday o.k.?
Philly :lol:

My agent has reported back that the timber was going for silly prices and it would have been cheaper going to somewhere like Good Timber. Was he right?

Still, it wasn't a wasted trip - a couple of oak boards for £10 and loads of free-range chickens, sausages and pies from the excellent butcher in Ledbury 8) .

Gill

yeh it was silly prices! didnt buy any. i know how much i can normally get a cube for but some people were paying well over the odds, wasnt all brilliant quality either. got some bargains with the old tools though so im quite happy

Agreed. Quality down on previous years and prices up. Got a couple of 3 1/2 thick cherry boards which I do actually have a plan for for £15 each but some folk were definitely caught by auction fever: One lot of average tulipwood went for about £25/ cube!

Still - nice to see folks although we must develop some recognition method that allows new bods to meet up.

Trev - thanks for the sausage buttie!

Cheers

Tim

Went to the sale as well. I agree we the others that the quality/quantity was down and prices were up on previous sales. Still, I got a pair of 5' sash cramps for £20 and a set of chisels for £14.

Someone was saying in a earlier post about there being no hardwood timber merchants in the Forest of Dene, this is true as far as I know, unless anyone else knows different. The only one I know in the Gloucestershire area is Wessex Timber.

there are 2 merchants currently in the forest of dean, one being International Timber and the other the Dean Oak Co-Operative. International timber wont sell to general public unless you buy over £300 worth and pick it up. The Dean Oak Co-Operative has been set up to sell any thinnings that have been taken out of the forest. Mostly oak but also some sycamore and cherry. To be honest the quality of the timber is very poor and not worth messing around with. So to answer your question there are sort of but none that I can actually use.

Good to meet you all at the auction. Orangetlh and Les1693 - sorry I missed you both.

Martin - did you manage to get everything in your car okay? :wink:

I agree with the comments above on the prices that some lots were making. Much higher than usual. I think it was just a case of not enough quality lots of wood + too many punters = high prices. I was very restrained today and limited myself to a clutch of laburnum logs for turning and a couple of nice old tools. :D

Oh, and you were most welcome to the sausage buttie, Tim. Amazing really - I am invited to a sausage buttie and end up paying for his and mine. :roll: Not for me to explain though. :lol: :lol:

Cheers,

Trev.

Didn't think that I'd be able to go but managed to get a pass from swmbo and took number two son. I reckon I spent more in bacon butties for him than I did in the sale.
Got there a bit late to meet up with any one (got lost again) and didn't fancy shouting out "Anyone from ukworkshop here?" so sorry if I didn't get to meet anyone from here.

I went last January and I don't think that there was the same amount of wood on offer this time. Also agree about the prices, definitely up on last year. Wasn't sure about the wood, but I bought four planks of cherry and checking the August results, the same size planks went for the same price last year but eight instead of four. So effectively twice the price. However, I still thin it was a good price so what the hell?

Agree on the price of the tools, definitely going for more than I expected. There were a few tools that I fancied and from what I saw, I would say that they were going for more than eBay price which to me is expensive. There were quite a few tools that I bid on but gave up on as I could see that people there were willing to go to silly prices. (And I couldn't see Philly anywhere).

I was amazed at what some people were willing to pay for some right old rubbish. Either that or they are dedicated rust eaters.

Did pick up a couple of 4ft t-bar sash cramps for £18, but may have paid over the odds for two Record roller stands at £30 (but I do want to use them tommorrow).
Also finally got myself some yew and laburnam to turn. Must get the ends sealed tommorrow as they are very wet.
Oh, and if any of you got lot #388 at £6 but were surprised to have won it, well you didn't, I did. :evil: Was chuffed to have won the nice brace and bits but they gave it to somebody else. :x At least I didn't have to pay for it.

I do enjoy auctions and did enjoy this even if I didn't win everythin I was after. I'll be there at the next sale but I thin that I'll not worry too much about the tools as they seem to be getting some inflated prices now. I'll decide what wood that I want and go in with the killer instinct. :twisted:

trevtheturner":2xd4wxq4 said:
snip
I was very restrained today and limited myself to a clutch of laburnum logs for turning and a couple of nice old tools. :D

Cheers,

Trev.

Trev,

sorry I missed you although I did look at all very tall blokes most suspiciously. Looks like you beat me to some laburnam before I won mine. :wink:

Sorry I missed you, too, Barry. We'll have to make sure we get ourselves more organised next time. BTW - beware if Tim offers to buy you a buttie! :lol: :lol:

Cheers,

Trev.

trevtheturner":xva54g09 said:
Sorry I missed you, too, Barry. We'll have to make sure we get ourselves more organised next time. BTW - beware if Tim offers to buy you a buttie! :lol: :lol:

Cheers,

Trev.

I think we need a way of recognising each other. Peerhaps we should all wear a carnation and carry a rolled-up Times under our left arms?

Not too woried about Tim, my boy Tris can outmanouver anyone when it comes to a bacon buttie, I just send him in first with big brown eyes and a well practiced starving look.

mudman":3tfwnvo8 said:
There were quite a few tools that I bid on but gave up on as I could see that people there were willing to go to silly prices. (And I couldn't see Philly anywhere).
LOL :lol:
Philly :D

Hi All,
Just now recovered from my nosebleed that I get whenever I go north of Kensington High Street!
Hugely overestimated the time it would take me to get to Ledbury so arrived at 0700 in the dark looking for somewhere to get a cuppa!
This did mean that I had almost an hour almost to myself for viewing which was very pleasant.
It was great to meet a few new faces and have a chat.
The timber I found a bit boggling as this is not something I know much about but it seemed to me that the first few lots were the best and the cheapest.
My nosing about discovered that most comes from local timber surgeons and a lot of the better oak beams from a firm that services large bells!
From a tool point of view it was interesting; a wjhole section selling new tat which made prices that were silly, people forgetting that as well as the buyers premium there was also VAT on the hammer price, soon adds up.

The old tools varied a lot in quality and there were a few bits of Preston stuff that had been heavily restored and were being well bid up by the entrants, very easy to spot.
I bought a few lots; Stanley 49/50/Record078 + bits in one; couple of incomplete 45's but lots of cutters; Stanley 40 mint; 5 minature bench planes; cornered the world market in Record holdfasts but had to buy two separate lots as the bootoms were in a different lot to the tops! Clico Mortice chisel sharpener; Record 405; Record 077; GTL bronze smoother and a bunch of other stuff that will give me hours of fun! Couple of metalwork vices.

A major annoyance for me which I spotted and told the staff about was that a lot of small bits and pieces were 'going for a walk' before, during and after the event. One box had ten cutters at the start and only 4 at the finish, two of the holffast bottoms vanished. not good :evil:
Trev, nice fruitwood rebate you got there, good value.

All in all I had a good day out and an easy drive home, will go again. I agree that we should come up with a way of recognising each other as it is silly to bid against each other when a concert party can reap dividends.

Regards
Martin

Back