Auction of machinery and timber.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crikey that's a lot of stuff, good job I don't live near there or I could be filling up my workshop.

Ollie

Woodrite Doors Ltd

The company made wooden garage doors.

creditors voluntary liquidation on 29 Dec 2021.

The director had a horrible Christmas.

Buyers premium of 20% then 20% vat on top of hammer price & premium. Ouch, better be careful bidding on owt there.

The auctioneer also appears to be the head of the nanny state; Risk assessment and method statement required for their approval, prior to purchase of anything interesting.

There is always a sad story behind liquidation auctions alas, for directors and out of work staff. And having attended a creditors meeting held by the liquidators for a company that folded owing me several k, the previously tough directors that I'd dealt with looked ashen. Liquidating a company in the UK is quite a blot on the future of a director. Of course the first in the queue for liquidation asset money are the liquidators (usually an accountancy company, so very high day rate). Any left over is divvied up between the creditors. I was lucky and got 50% of what I was owed. Creditors often get much less that that, if anything at all.

However, having bought from liquidation auctions like this before, the hammer price is not what you pay. The seller's premium of 22% and VAT on that at 20% soon add up. Then the fuel to drive and collect.

Of course the 22% seller's premium is understandable. They have had to buy the stuff from the liquidator, sort it, store it, photograph and list it, and manage an on-line store. But what you pay is close to 50% more than the hammer price.

And for stuff that is shipped (and VAT goes on that too), the overall price is around twice the hammer price.

The auctioneer also appears to be the head of the nanny state; Risk assessment and method statement required for their approval, prior to purchase of anything interesting.

Quite. I looked at the DeWalt radial arm saw and noted that a risk assessment was needed. Heaven knows what they would make of my Wadkin three phase radial arm saw!

But I learnt to use machine tools safely at school at the turn of the 70's, and that has served me well over the decades. We had several metalwork lathes, reciprocating saw, pillar drill and even a forge in the metalwork room. Metal casting and welding. And sharp edged tools, wood lathe and so forth in the woodwork room.

Thanks for the heads up. I’m not far in nottingham so will keep an eye on the bids. Have been looking for cedar and iroko for various garden furniture. I’ve seen similar items on eBay of off cuts usually between £300-£450 depending on type of wood. Happy to bid provided isn’t more than eBay prices.

The risk assessment and method statement is not required for how you will use the machinery, the risk assessment and method statement is required for how you will turn up and take said equipment off site. Likely a condition for their own insurance.

However, having bought from liquidation auctions like this before, the hammer price is not what you pay. The seller's premium of 22% and VAT on that at 20% soon add up. Then the fuel to drive and collect.

Of course the 22% seller's premium is understandable. They have had to buy the stuff from the liquidator, sort it, store it, photograph and list it, and manage an on-line store. But what you pay is close to 50% more than the hammer price.

And for stuff that is shipped (and VAT goes on that too), the overall price is around twice the hammer price.

I went poking around the site and saw some lego. So i searched for more and saw after the fees and vat and what not the lego was selling at only 5% below market rate, which you could find cheaper buying off amazon or argos. :confused: doesnt seem like that great a price

But I learnt to use machine tools safely at school at the turn of the 70's, and that has served me well over the decades. We had several metalwork lathes, reciprocating saw, pillar drill and even a forge in the metalwork room. Metal casting and welding. And sharp edged tools, wood lathe and so forth in the woodwork room.
I'm sure you are sensible but in my experience woodwork machines are quite a different experience to metal working. Mostly to do with the much higher speed of the cutters and the totally different quality of timber to metal. I wouldn't presume to be able to plug in and go without some guidance from an experienced machinist. But then I spent 40 years in charge of school workshops, where training courses were mandatory for staff operating machines and even then I took several colleagues to A&E who thought they knew best.
Take care
Martin

I'm sure you are sensible but in my experience woodwork machines are quite a different experience to metal working. Mostly to do with the much higher speed of the cutters and the totally different quality of timber to metal. I wouldn't presume to be able to plug in and go without some guidance from an experienced machinist. But then I spent 40 years in charge of school workshops, where training courses were mandatory for staff operating machines and even then I took several colleagues to A&E who thought they knew best.
Take care
Martin

Buyers premium of 20% then 20% vat on top of hammer price & premium. Ouch, better be careful bidding on owt there.
Sometimes the VAT is only on the auctioneer's premium, so 22% + VAT. Still extra though, obviously. The auctioneers near us always used to charge 15% commission on sales, then they started 20% buyers premium (plus VAT). So effectively they get 35% of the hammer price.

the elf n safety clause is so they can screw u some more as they want to load u with their forklift....
only did it once never again.....better off thru ebay.....
I had a truck with a HI-AB and they still had to use their forklift to load me...for a fee of course....

I used to go to large engineering sales years ago.....most of the good stuff was pre bought with cash and a bung, then in a container on it's way to Pakistan to build bombs....

Back