AUCTION COLLECTABLE AND NEW WOODWORKING TOOLS/ SEASONED SAWN

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NB Catalogue due out tomorrow.

Also looks like no preview day before :cry: so early doors (8am) for 10am kick off.

Cheers

Tim

See y'all by the tea wagon just before kick-off then. :wink:

For info., whereas it used to be cash on the day, I believe that they will now accept debit & credit cards. Dunno whether they put a surcharge on credit cards, though.

Cheers,

Trev.

Oh bother...there I was thinking I'd have to spend the weekend in London on refurbing the flat and then they have to go and list all those planes and things.

Do you reckon 'Kitty' is really 'Kity'? Trev/Tim...could you get the combination machine in either of your vehicles :)

Roger,

Looking at the description in the catalogue, I rather doubt it. :cry: Perhaps half in Tim's and the pther half in mine. :roll: :lol:

Looks like it might be an interesting sale, though, with 293 lots of wood (although much of it will be rubbish!) for starters.

Gill,

See you and His Lordship there then?

Cheers,

Trev.

Trev":yyts1stz said:
Perhaps half in Tim's and the pther half in mine

Bet mine's the heavy bit!

Went past the yard today visiting a customer. Looks like nothing's there at all so I wouldn't bother turning up on Saturday :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

See you on Saturday. Father in law in tow. The worst thing is that my woodstore is absolutely full at the mo so I have no idea where I'm going to keep the inevitable over purchasing!

Cheers

T

Family arrives from Bavaria sat. so can't make it. :cry:

All that Cherry, just what Iv'e been looking for (assuming it's sound) ](*,)

trevtheturner":11b9k8d0 said:
Gill,

See you and His Lordship there then?

We're supposed to be in Birmingham celebrating a family birthday at lunch time on Saturday, but I'm working on it :) . Assuming I get back safely (and on time) from another family function in Lincoln on the Friday before, I should be there. I can't guarantee what sort of state I'll be in, though :eek:ccasion5: 8) :eek:ccasion4: \:D/ :sick: .

Gill

Well thats that for another 6 months!(hammer) (hammer)

Having said:

The worst thing is that my woodstore is absolutely full at the mo so I have no idea where I'm going to keep the inevitable over purchasing!

and having meant to be very restrained [-( you will be pleased to note that I now have a serious woodstorage prob!!#-o

7cuft of walnut (£16 a cube) and 11cu of cherry (£10 a cube) to put somewhere inc 3 7ft x 7 x 2 (and an extra board) of cherry all in at £13! \:D/ \:D/

It is fair to say that the quality wasnlt nearly as high as Jan but some of the prices were daft - 2inch oak boards 10ft plus at £4 each etc.

Great to meet Gill and his lordship with a latish show by Keith and Roger. Trevtheturner and I were like a couple of post Christmas sale hunters :deer =P~ we don't need it, can't store it but think of the savings!

. Best quote was from Trev - "what the hell am I going to do with these then?" pointing at a won lot of 6 9ft 9x1 1/2" hornbeam planks - not the first unplanned purchase of the day :-$ .

Good fun alround and hopefully see more of you in January (7th).

Gill, sorry not to say goodbye to you both but you were busy bidding on another lot (that you probably didn't want - or need! :roll: ). I was also sorry to not see you carrying your 'evacuee' suitcase!! I'll let you explain :lol: .

Cheers

Tim

tim":3m19y1rs said:
Well thats that for another 6 months!(hammer) (hammer)

Having said:

The worst thing is that my woodstore is absolutely full at the mo so I have no idea where I'm going to keep the inevitable over purchasing!

and having meant to be very restrained [-( you will be pleased to note that I now have a serious woodstorage prob!!#-o

7cuft of walnut (£16 a cube) and 11cu of cherry (£10 a cube) to put somewhere inc 3 7ft x 7 x 2 (and an extra board) of cherry all in at £13! \:D/ \:D/

It is fair to say that the quality wasnlt nearly as high as Jan but some of the prices were daft - 2inch oak boards 10ft plus at £4 each etc.

Great to meet Gill and his lordship with a latish show by Keith and Roger. Trevtheturner and I were like a couple of post Christmas sale hunters :deer =P~ we don't need it, can't store it but think of the savings!

. Best quote was from Trev - "what the hell am I going to do with these then?" pointing at a won lot of 6 9ft 9x1 1/2" hornbeam planks - not the first unplanned purchase of the day :-$ .

Good fun alround and hopefully see more of you in January (7th).

...snip...Cheers

Tim

:cry: =P~ :cry: =P~ :cry: =P~ :cry:
B****y visitors (Not really they have driven 850 miles to see us)

Hey Trevor! if your loft space won't take the weight I could help you out :lol:

Good to meet up with folks from the forum again..to see old faces and new ones.

Treated myself to a rather nice No7 Stanley in very good nick for £50.

Roger

You weren't there for a couple of more quotes, Tim.

Gill: "Let's go and see which mugs bid for those useless turning blanks."
His Lordship: "Just look at these bargain turning blanks I've picked up!"

:sign3:

Actually, he had the good judgment to buy a few of the decent quality blanks there, so it's unfair to criticise him.

It was a terrific day out and we enjoyed meeting so many people from the forum, including, Tim, Keith, Roger and various companions. And thank goodness Trev was there with his wagon. I'm afraid I embarrassed myself by attempting to corner the ash market (a bit like Tony did with his oak at Good Timber, although not on quite such a grandiose scale ;) ) but Trev kindly stepped in as we got the saw out to cut it into manageable pieces for our Ford Focus. Thanks for the transport, Trev.

The refugee case? Hmmm... :oops: We've all seen the WWII movies with bedraggled refugees traipsing through mud, carrying all their worldly possesions in a stiff card suitcase. I found an old one lurking in a corner of the auction (a bit like old British Rail steak & kidney pies used to lurk in buffet carriages and attack unwary travellers). It was described in the catalogue as being a collection of various turning blanks, and there were indeed some nice little blanks in there. What nobody else had noticed was the stash of mahogany veneer underneath all the blanks! I've seen similar veneers on sale at Good Timber for £4 a piece. Anyway, the case came up for auction and nobody was interested, although someone jokingly put in a bid of £2. I bid £4, and the auctioneer commented that he'd never seen sympathy bids before :) . But that was enough - I got the case (which is going to be a great place to store the veneers I've already got) plus the blanks and about 30 mahogany veneers. In my book, that's a success! :D

And Trev also had some success with a late purchase, but I'll let him tell that story.

Chris - I risked a couple of secondhand oak blocks that look as if woodworm may have visited in the past - they'll be segregated from the rest of my stash until I can confirm that the worm is no longer active.

Gill

Roger Sinden":vw5c7vs3 said:
Oh really? :-k :wink:

Now if you timber-rich folks will forgive me, I'll just assume everything's riddled with woodworm; that way I won't die of terminal jealousy. :cry: Please don't disabuse me of this fantasy, if you'd be so kind. :mrgreen: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":1i4ruweb said:
Roger Sinden":1i4ruweb said:
Oh really? :-k :wink:

The plane did look as if it had been lovingly fettled and cared for. I may not have the same expertise as you, Alf, but I have tweaked a couple of planes in the past and this one looked rather nicely set up. If I didn't already have a Record #7 of my own, I'd have bid for it myself.

Gill

tim":2xdq05n8 said:
Best quote was from Trev - "what the hell am I going to do with these then?" pointing at a won lot of 6 9ft 9x1 1/2" hornbeam planks - not the first unplanned purchase of the day :-$ .

And I'm still wondering, :roll: but they are now safely stored in my loft, and the loft floor is holding up well, Chas! :wink: There are actually 7 boards amounting to about 4.5 cu. ft. for £22.35.

Keeping this company, and adding to the other one or two bits already up there, are a further ten 9'x6"x1 1/2" oak boards, five 9'x10 1/2x1 1/2 ash boards, three 6'6"x6 1/2x2" elm boards for a fiver, and 9 boards of 'red hardwoods' ranging from 2.5 ft to 4 ft long, 6" to 8" wide and 1.5" to 4" thick (including five boards of excellent Brazilian mahogany) for 17 quid. Tim very kindly offered to share some of his cherry with me, accompanied by mutterings of not knowing where he was going to store the stuff, but I didn't have the heart to take it from him! 'Cos I've got enough problems of my own and I'm definitely not going to any more auctions until I've got stuck into this lot. :roll: (But I'll no doubt see you in Jan., Tim.)

Cheers,

Trev.

trevtheturner":2awq3md2 said:
tim":2awq3md2 said:
Best quote was from Trev - "what the hell am I going to do with these then?" pointing at a won lot of 6 9ft 9x1 1/2" hornbeam planks - not the first unplanned purchase of the day :-$ .

And I'm still wondering, :roll: but they are now safely stored in my loft, and the loft floor is holding up well, Chas! :wink: There are actually 7 boards amounting to about 4.5 cu. ft. for £22.35.
...major snip...Cheers,
Trev.

:mrgreen: :cry: =P~ [-( You two will soon have enough to have your own auctions :!: You know you really should move some of it to fund that next :tool: purchase.

Gill":254344ip said:
The refugee case? Hmmm... :oops:

And Trev also had some success with a late purchase, but I'll let him tell that story.

Ah, yes .... the 'refugee' case - that was a sight to behold! But I couldn't understand why Gill wheeled it to her car on a sack barrow :shock: when it appeared to have a perfectly serviceable handle, unless she was a mite worried, only having just met me, about my suggestion that we should tie a refugee ID label to her.

Which late purchase was that Gill - there was more than one of them! :?

Yes, it was certainly a good day out - a nice, warm sunny day, good to meet up with people again and make new acquaintances, a few laughs along the way and I managed to avoid all hostelries on the way home (otherwise I would never have got the new acquisitions into the loft).

Shame Keith brought a van this time - so no excess chunks to pass my way. :lol:

Cheers,

Trev.

CHJ":2qfkfte8 said:
:mrgreen: :cry: =P~ [-( You two will soon have enough to have your own auctions :!: You know you really should move some of it to fund that next :tool: purchase.

I'm in a bit of a quandry here, Chas, - I like wood and I want to keep the wood, but there is now such an accumulation of it that I think that justifies me in making some new :tool: purchases to work on it. :roll:

Cheers,

Trev.

trevtheturner":seaj9hbf said:
CHJ":seaj9hbf said:

I'm in a bit of a quandry here, Chas, - I like wood and I want to keep the wood, but there is now such an accumulation of it that I think that justifies me in making some new :tool: purchases to work on it. :roll:

Cheers,

Trev.
Perhaps construction of a new piece of furniture for that recently refurbished :wink: lounge would allow you to keep it, and justify to you know who the acquisition of a space filler for the saw annex. :p

Latest posts

Back