Attic workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Berry

Established Member
Reaction score
Since I live in an apartment and have no garden for a shed, I have floored my attic and turned half of it into a small hand tool workshop.
20200902_190538.jpg
I built in some cabinets, the plane till will form the basis of a wall cabinet that is in the future.

The other half is my wife's storage space, and still a work in progress. I wallpapered the end wall to hide the grey cement bricks and built in an IKEA wardrobe for my wife's seasonal wardrobe changes.

An Instagram post showing the work here.

The eaves are currently being shelved for keeping storage boxes.
20201231_100413.jpg20210107_200517.jpg
Above are before and after images of one section of shelving.

Last edited:
Lovely work, not sure your wife will be happy to open the wardrobe in six months to find her Sunday best covered in sawdust though :LOL:

Are the rafters suitably sized to take the weight?
Yes. The space currently holding my workbench previously supported a 1000 litre water tank. I got a new, smaller tank (450 litre), installed further into the eaves, directly over the structural supporting wall. If it could support a metric ton of water then it easily supports my 200kg workbench, myself, my wife and all my tools and stored lumber.

Lovely work, not sure your wife will be happy to open the wardrobe in six months to find her Sunday best covered in sawdust though :LOL:
So far, so good. I've been using it for 4 years now, and the dust is not heavy on that end of the attic and tends to only settle on top of the wardrobe. All things store on shelves are in closed boxes. Being hand tool only I don't produce much dust. I also sweep the floor regularly to keep dust and debris to a minimum. I never exit my workshop without cleaning up first.

Yes. The space currently holding my workbench previously supported a 1000 litre water tank. I got a new, smaller tank (450 litre), installed further into the eaves, directly over the structural supporting wall. If it could support a metric ton of water then it easily supports my 200kg workbench, myself, my wife and all my tools and stored lumber.

Good to hear, just wanted to check :)

When Rorschach said " Are the rafters suitably sized to take the weight?" I assumed he was talking about the amount of wife's clothing they'd be supporting :p

Last edited:
Yes but don't forget for every set of cloths there will be a handbag and at least one pair of shoes, so the weight will rise rapidly. Luckily though the handbags should be empty otherwise you would have a collapse.

Very nice. What's the temperature like up there in the summer? My attic goes straight to 30 degrees plus as soon as there's any hint of sun.

Very nice. What's the temperature like up there in the summer? My attic goes straight to 30 degrees plus as soon as there's any hint of sun.
Exactly my experience. Fortunately I have a fine patio which becomes my summer/fair weather workspace. As you can see, it's currently slightly chilly out there.
161011656277364947065486575658.jpg16101166062542384000704894392046.jpg

Richard. You are a woodworker by inclination and by desire. More power to your elbow. I hope you don't get classified as as a hipster, not living in the real world. Actually you are what many people on this forum would classify as a 'real' woodworker. You have accepted the limitations you have at the moment, and you have risen to the challenge. So the best of luck to you.

John

Richard. You are a woodworker by inclination and by desire. More power to your elbow. I hope you don't get classified as as a hipster, not living in the real world. Actually you are what many people on this forum would classify as a 'real' woodworker. You have accepted the limitations you have at the moment, and you have risen to the challenge. So the best of luck to you.

John
Thank you for your kind words John.

Back