Attaching Workbench Top

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Osvaldd

Established Member
Reaction score
I was watching P. Sellers video series on making a workbench, he's attaching a top directly with screws, would this not create a problem with wood movement? If not, why? Would it not be better then to just glue it?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-30 at 15.49.19.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-30 at 15.49.19.png
    996.6 KB · Views: 166
The distance between the two screws holding the worktop is ~6". Not much wood movement going to happen there.
I think the tray isn't glued to the worktop, so they act independently in regards to expansion/ contraction.

It can still expand and contract with the screws, don't worry about it.

Osvaldd":m88hko3d said:
I was watching P. Sellers video series on making a workbench, he's attaching a top directly with screws, would this not create a problem with wood movement? If not, why? Would it not be better then to just glue it?

I think gluing it would be worse, as then nothing can move, and if it was to try, the glue or the wood would fail, and it would be insecure.

With screws, there is enough play for it to not be an issue, so it might move slightly, but it would still be well secured.

If you're really concerned, you can use a larger drill bit to drill the hole through the first piece, and secure it with a screw and washer.

Well I suppose if it's good enough for Sellers, it's good enough for me.
cheers

He's probably made all but the one screw hole nearest the front apron a bit sloppy by wiggling the drill bit back and forth a little after boring straight through - in doing so this provides room for any potential cross-grain movement. That's most likely what I would do anyway, although I'm only guessing what Paul Sellers might have done because I've never watched his videos, including the particular one to which you refer. Slainte.

Sgian Dubh":3kvmy0j4 said:
He's probably made all but the one screw hole nearest the front apron a bit sloppy by wiggling the drill bit back and forth a little after boring straight through - in doing so this provides room for any potential cross-grain movement. That's most likely what I would do anyway, although I'm only guessing what Paul Sellers might have done because I've never watched his videos, including the particular one to which you refer. Slainte.

+1, I've just built another workbench and that's exactly what I did.

Back