At last a gloat

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martyn2

Established Member
Reaction score
:D our local B&Q is closing down and i got what i think is a bargain its a Trend router lathe for £38.00 \:D/ new the box was a bit battered but don't keep them any way and i must admit i always wanted one to try. :lol: But if anyone as usual got any tips they will be welcome its in the car at the moment will have a good look when i am home :D

now at last i can at least say i had a bit of a gloat

martyn

good one martyn,

I have one, its sat under the bench most of the time but dose get some use occasionally. One thing to remember is watch out for the backlash in the system. Especially when doing spirals ( some people just don't seem to remember :oops: ) scrapped a few bits of wood.

Cheer Neil

I`ve got one of those. I`ve had mine for about 20 years now and used it about half a dozon times. My one is called a Router Crafter, and was sold under the brand name of Sears Robuck. I purchased it from a mail order catalogue together with a 1 1/2 HP fixed based router. A very useful tool to have for making special pieces of furniture. The router`s still going strong as well.

Not intended to be an “overgloat”, but I recently acquired one of these in what seems like perfect condition (it even had the instructions with it) for £3 from our local tip, :) and have been trying to use it to produce a fluted roller. But it seems just about impossible to produce a smooth finish on the basic cylinder – the cutter tends to dig in slightly, and sometimes leaves a spiral. The whole thing is not that well made, with quite a lot of backlash in all the movements, but I’ve been trying to compensate for that. I’m using a half inch, bottom cutting bit in an old Bosch demountable router.
Luthier49 has given me some advice on this, but any other tips as to the best cutter, ways of holding things etc would be welcome

I have one of these and with practice it turned out to be a very useful device.

You need to always work in the same direction ( always cut away from the ratchet system) and check before running a cut for the second time (deepening it) that you have good alignment. I find that my T9 works better than my T5 (must be the weight I guess)

I made 2 barley twists legs to replace a neighbour ones that the new puppy had chewed (Newfoundland!!!!) and you could not tell the difference 8)

AndyBoyd":38d7d5a9 said:
You need to always work in the same direction ( always cut away from the ratchet system) and check before running a cut for the second time (deepening it) that you have good alignment. I find that my T9 works better than my T5 (must be the weight I guess)

I made 2 barley twists legs to replace a neighbour ones that the new puppy had chewed (Newfoundland!!!!) and you could not tell the difference 8)

Sounds like practice will help.

Why always cut away from the ratchet system? Actually, now I've written that down, I'm not clear what you mean by the ratchet system......? The salvaged Sears beast that I have just has a rather sloppy indexing head - is that it?

I was a bit nervous of pressing down too hard on the router carriage, as it all seems a bit flimsy, but will try that too.
Any more tips from out there??

I`ve found a photo of the first project I made with my router crafter 20 years ago. I can only scan in via a document scanner so poor quality photo. This is a standard lamp turned on the lathe in mahogany, then the roping was done on the router lathe.
rope_table_lamp.jpg

B&Q in Leicester has a shelf full of these Router Lathes at £30 each for those who want one

Bean

Well that is just typical, :evil: I thought I had a good deal when I got one for ~£75, 18 months ago, the list price was ~£145. Trend as with most of their stuff don't make this bit of kit, it is badged up for them and they sell it on.
I was told when I bought mine that B&Q were not going to stock them any more and they were selling off the current stock.
Trend has dropped it from the new catalogue, so the last of them are selling at give away prices.

I don't think it’s up to the normal high quality of most Trend badged stuff. But it does have its uses, I have not made any twists, but it was used to make my competition box. 8)
I don't have a woodworking lathe but have made a couple of round things using the router lathe, slower than the real thing but it got me out of a corner. :D

WHAT at £30 :shock: and where would I put that...........................................No answers please

Bean

Back