asking the impossible....????

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clogs

just can't decide
Reaction score
Ok,
will be fitting a cream High Gloss kitchen....it;s a fairly big kitchen.....
IMG_1378.JPG

Note.......
the wall units are 80cm tall ( + a high ceiling) and the w/cup's are what I would say are higher than norm from the worktop.......
The units go around the corner past the oven and is as big again....utility and prep room....
wants.......
1, LED under cupboard lighting BUT the new cupboards do NOT have the 2-3inch plinth unerneath to hide the lighting units.......
this under plinth is not available for this kitchen.....
2, there is a small table that gets used a lot but eye level shows the underside of the cabinets.....
so want smart looking, not glearing in ur eyes light units ......back to wall/under-cupboard mounting so no wiring is visible....
3, seen it somewhere a couple of years ago a v/small PIR for the light units.....
u wave ur hand under the cupboard and it lights up, then again and it all goes off.....
I'm happy to import from the UK - Germany - or anywhere etc.....cost is not the issue.....

just need ideas away from all the usual carp thats out there.....
just wanna do it once and properly....
thanks

1, LED under cupboard lighting

Theres a ton of options for led lighting track. You can get rectangular, quadrant etc aluminium tracks with a slightly obscure clear diffuser, they are good. I used this profile for a kitchen step

Without wanting to teach you to suck eggs.... with regards height, if there is a larder or built in fridge unit etc, this height usually dictates the wall cab height. If not, it often works out to about 450 off the worktop to underside of wall cab.... i will sometimes set my wall cabs to a different height if there is tiling to consider etc and no tall fridge or larder units to worry about.
P.s You could always create a small pelmet to hide the light strip and get colour match paint

Attachments

• 20190922_184925.jpg
    20190922_184925.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 20191115_093750.jpg
    20191115_093750.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 20190922_184935.jpg
    20190922_184935.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 30
I fitted a kitchen earlier in the year and the wall cabinets came with an LED strip type light already fitted in the bottom of them. The light was routed in so was practically flush with the bottom of the carcass and all the wires were hidden, it looked really neat and gave off a great light.

I am often behind the times with things so I don't know maybe this is the norm now but I will try to find out the make of the lights.

Could you make up a boxing to fit under the cupboards that the lights and PIR can be mounted into? This would help hide all the wiring, this can then be hidden with a decorative trim

Next doors have recently fitted a new kitchen, the pelmet is about 18mm. In fact it looks like a part of the carcase, but isn't.
xy

If you can route a channel into the bottom of the cabinets, these white aluminium profiles with opal diffuser are only 7mm deep
https://mkshop.co.uk/2-metres-white-aluminium-extrusion-profile-linemini-for-led-strip-lights/
I used them when I needed unobtrusive stair lighting and filled them with dimmable COB LED strip. The COB strips have up to, I think it's, 360 LEDs/m and offer seamless illumination. They're available as 12v or 24v, easy to cut to length and wire up.

COBstrip.jpg

my led strip is fitted to the back of the under cupboard pelmet shining towards the wall and when on cant be seen unless you look under the level of the cabinet floor

Latest posts

Back