Ashley Iles ferrule

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kieran62

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning,
Just been into the workshop for the first time in two months after a hand injury.
Went to check on the condition of my tools; everything seemed to be ok until I got my tool roll with my Ashley Iles chisel out, they'd surface rusted (my fault, I'd sharpened them and put them away without wiping them over properly thinking I'd be using them the next day), but of more concern was the ferrule on the 18mm had split.
Is this a problem?
Or should I just remove the broken ferrule and get on?
Thanks
Kieran

Attachments

• ashleyiles.jpg
    ashleyiles.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 996
Thanks Harbo,
Will the handle just knock off?
Never tried to take one off before, this is my first set of good chisels, I've always just bought cheap chisels for really rough construction work and slung them when the handles have snapped or the chisels sheared off.
Kieran

Hope the hand is well on the mend Kieran.

If AI are willing to send you out a new ferrule that would be great, but it might not be easy to get it on. I don't know if AI do their tangs this way but most chisel blades are simply press-fit into the handle, no glue or anything, which means you can sometimes just yank the handle off after firmly clamping the blade down or gripping it in a vice. Might not be feasible for you with a recently damaged hand though as it can take quite a bit of oomph!

You'll want to careful not to exert any sideways force or you stand a good chance of splitting the wood. This can be glued of course, and glue joints are stronger than wood, but obviously it's something best avoided if possible.

Now if you can't get the handle off you're not sunk if you do want the handle to be reinforced, you could do a wire or thread wrap instead if you don't mind that this chisel won't match its brethren.

Maybe put a jubilee clip around the ferrule before you start tugging and bashing.

Actually I’ve just remembered, they repaired mine free of charge - give them a ring.

Rod

I've had the same thing happen to me on more than one occasion. I've just received an order from them for spare ferrules and also a few new handles to replace ones that have started splitting. It's all very well having wild and wacky grained handles but I think this would make them more likely to splitting. They are lovely chisels but I did have to question why I'm spending £25 on handles and ferrules to keep them working.
Any more handles split and I'll dust off the lathe and try making a few of my own from a different timber.
I've got a jubilee clip on one at the moment. I'd like to think I'll be able to carefully remove the handle and just replace the ferrule but I'm not holding my breath.
I wonder if it's the lignum bowling ball mallet that's caused a couple handles to split.......?
Awesome chisels other than this small gripe !

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Thank you all so much for your replies and ideas.
Think I'll call Ashley Iles in the morning to see how much they will charge to replace the ferrule, as I'm a bit ham fisted at the moment and can see me ruining the handle. :D
I damaged the flexor tendon (zone 3) in the left hand thumb laying blocks (after nearly forty years of bricklaying, you'd think the hand would be used to it! :D ), so I'm wearing a superheros glove to isolate the thumb while going through the options on surgery, hence, the absence of time in the workshop.

Play nice everyone, and enjoy the Bank Holiday weather.
Kieran

I'm gonna have a go at just replacing this ferrule.
d4bab9a5efd6573ffd9b462016b8d1a0.jpg

Worst case scenario the whole handle will need replacing.
This is the 2 inch handle that's started to split
573bface0632a4f22f52ee57ed744124.jpg

I'm open to suggestions lol
5cd5734c0d858d109378c91b7141b7c2.jpg

I think it might need a gentle persuasion with a hammer !

Hoping it's not too late... It might be best to put a reference mark on the handle so it goes back the same way and stays just as straight. Probably not necessary on these, but it won't hurt.

AndyT":2de7xer1 said:
Hoping it's not too late... It might be best to put a reference mark on the handle so it goes back the same way and stays just as straight. Probably not necessary on these, but it won't hurt.
That's a good suggestion Andy. I was lucky with this one. It had a shape that meant it could only fit one way. I'll definitely use your idea on any future ferrule changes though !
d82d18c4a18f0df00633d87cd7f23e8e.jpg

I've been meaning to change it for a while - this thread was just the nudge I needed. Cheers !
What lovely day to be out and about
a04c02692115ef784249be714c35952f.jpg

I wonder why the ferrule split in the first place? Maybe it was connected to the tools being rusted, namely dampness causing both the rust and the handle to swell?

Just a thought, but if that is correct then it has implications for fixing it. Firstly there's no point replacing the ferrule while the handle is still damp and swollen, otherwise it'll become loose when the handle dries. And secondly, unless the damp problem is addressed, or the chisels stored indoors, it'll likely happen again.

Afternoon Custard,
I’d sharpened three of the seven chisels last thing on the weekend, and must not have wiped them down properly; they were stored in a leather tool roll, in a cupboard with another set of cheap Lidl/Aldi chisels that I use for rough work (in an identical roll), my planes, spokeshaves and cabinet scrapers.
All of the AI chisels had tarnished ferrules and surface rust, but nothing else had been affected.
You are correct about the rust and expansion issue, I simply do not understand why only one of the ferrules had split open.
Mea culpa, I should have been more assiduous when putting them away.

As an aside, I must thank you for all of the help and advice you give on this forum, it is always a pleasure and an education to read your thoughts and suggestions.

Enjoy the day
Kieran

Afternoon Coley

Thanks for documenting the process so well.
I remember (way back in the mists of time :D ) metalwork at School, heating a tang in the forge to plunge into a wooden handle to ensure a tight fit, so was dreading trying to remove the handle without damage.
You are right about the wild grain, it is so attractive, but looking at the image of my split ferrule, the crack does appear to follow the dark line of the grain, so perhaps expansion there forced the ferrule apart.

Looks a cracking day where you are, enjoy
Kieran

Sticks in my mind that way back when the AI chisels became popular (maybe a dozen years ago?), there was an issue with ferrules cracking on a few. Seem to remember it was due to differing temperatures/humidity levels. For the record, I have maybe 8 or 9 AI chisels, mostly butt size and round backs (these are probably my favorite chisel for paring), and I've never had any issue.

As an aside, the tang looks similar to the tangs on Narex and modern Buck chisels. I've change handles on those makes and before inserting the chisel into the handle, I have ground the tang into the traditional pointed shape. Then I used a step drill (a bit from Miller dowel kit works well) and burned the chisel into the handle.

ColeyS1":1jdmlsoo said:
This is the 2 inch handle that's started to split
573bface0632a4f22f52ee57ed744124.jpg
For a split like that you might try filling with epoxy after warming the wood first to ensure deep penetration. Rather than try to clamp the wood back together you stabilise the wood where it seems it wants to go, which seems less likely to stress it.

Clever use of the spanner on the other one to spread the load of hammering.

Back