Ash & stainless Steel bench. Long with pics

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonB

Established Member
Reaction score
This is the latest job to come out of my workshop. The brief was a bench that could seat three people with some storage and to go at the end of a kitchen & breakfast room. The client wanted some steel or chrome and the wood was to match the kitchen units which were predominantly solid ash.

I presented the client with sketches (side elevation and half front elevation @ 1:20) of four possible designs with a budget figure. She went for this design but was happy to leave the details to me which avoided the need to make a model.

Here are some views of the finished piece, the cushion is only covered for the photo, client is having it upholstered.

b12.jpg

b13.jpg

b11.jpg

b9.jpg

After planning & thicknessing the timber to 73mm finished thickness it was rough cut on the bandsaw to within 2-3mm of the template. I then removed the bottom bearing from the multi-trim bit shown in the router and used the top bearing to follow the shape of the template, the bearing was then replaced and used from the other side running the bearing against the previously routed surface. The holes for the arm rods were plunge cut using a guide bush & 12mm dia cutter. The template is screwed to the arm where the tennon will be cut with a bit odd DS tape at each end for good measure.

b2.jpg

Simple jig used with guide bush to route the mortises. The holes in the back rest were plunge cut before the back was bandsawn to the angle thus keeping them aligned horizontally.

b3.jpg

Completed legs and side rails ready for assembly

b4.jpg

All clamped up. Actual clamping done with them laid on a flat bench

b8.jpg

I hot melt glued an 8x4 sheet of MDF to the workshop floor to do a full size layout. The curves for the back rest were plotted with a 5.0m long trammel from a pivot glued to the opposite end of the workshop floor. However I could not swing a big enough radius to get the underside of the seat rails. For these I sprung a strip of MDF and tacked it in place with more hot melt glue then ran the base of my laminate trimmer against this with a ¼” bit to give a 4mm deep groove. I then bandsawed off the waste and ran the bearing of the multi-trim against the remaining side of the groove.

b5.jpg

All the parts of the back rest ready for assembly. The 30 odd stainless steel spindles were all spun in the lath while holding 320 grit silicon carbide paper to them this gave a nice “brushed “ finish to the surface. I used grade 304 stainless as this had the smoothest surface to start with, total of 18.0m went into the job.

b7.jpg

After a slightly hectic glue up it looked like this, the slats and inner edges were lacquered before assembly.

b10.jpg

Hope you like it as much as the client did, all comments and criticisms welcomed

Jason

PS stay tuned for the matching table which has just been commissioned, I’ve just spent £750.00 on the glass & stainless steel fittings alone!

Very nice,pleasantly different,and excellently finished.

"I hot melt glued an 8x4 sheet of MDF to the workshop floor to do a full size layout"

Just how big is your workshop ?

Only just big enough for this, the 8x4 was in one corner, the pivot in the oposite one, just enough to swing the 5.0m radius first with a pencil then the laminate trimmer in the tremmel.

Jason

Oooo, I like that. Lovely mix of old and new somehow - proper job, Jason. =D> =D> =D> Thank you for the WIP pics too; I always learn something. Usually more than one thing. :oops:

Cheers, Alf

:shock: No I really mean... :shock:

Jason that is the most impressive thing I have seen for a long time. The amount of skill and design savvy is simply amazing!

Please tell me to mind my own business but... purely out of interest.. what is the ballpark that the customer would pay for this?

The budget I gave with the sketches was £1500-1700, it came out towards the upper end of this. About 6-7 days work.

Jason

Wonderful work, Tim!
Look forward to seeing the table.
Oh, and where do you get these well paying clients from? Mine want me to work for free (and supply materials :wink: )
Cheers
Philly :D

Jason
Very different with the stainless in it and I really like it, I would think you will get more orders for one just like that.
Nice pictures to walk us through your project.
Thanks for showing us your work.

Bob

Philly":1au39uid said:
Wonderful work, Tim!

Thanks very much - but i think this one's about Jason.

Great stuff Jason. I'd love to see it when its upholstered. I hope they go with something pale because I don't think the green compliments the timber and steel.

Cheers

Tim

wow, amazing work I certainly have a lot to learn. Cant wait to see the table

Tom

Latest posts

Back