Ash Dieback

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
do you think this will effect the price of ash? it's still quite cheap, and I was thinking of ordering a very large amount of it soon.

do you think this will effect the price of ash? it's still quite cheap, and I was thinking of ordering a very large amount of it soon.

Most of what the bigger merchants offer is American Ash anyway (which is kind of daft that it's cheaper to ship it across than the stuff here, same with Oak), you'd have to go to the smaller and more expensive yards for British/European Ash.

Oooh. I know it's been said already but be really really careful sawing off a ladder. Massive no no. (Although I have done it and had some pretty horrible near misses.)

Also be careful cutting Ash trees with dieback. make sure you have your eacape route ready, look up! and aren't under any overhanging limbs as the tree starts to go. Leave your hinge as thick as you can get away with.

Sorry Trevanion you always come across as being very capable so I hope this isn't too condescending. It's just tree work off a ladder Makes my bum squeak.

Most of what the bigger merchants offer is American Ash anyway (which is kind of daft that it's cheaper to ship it across than the stuff here, same with Oak), you'd have to go to the smaller and more expensive yards for British/European Ash.
Guys i have a large amount of ash cut and slabbed if you require any and a good supply of oak,I cut and mill 50% of my time for my own stuff,Only sell to couple in the trade really but always happy to help forum members.Sort of stuff i cut and season below and this was an olive ash felled 12 months ago.My son is autistic so got into the milling 6 years ago as he loves it and we both are so happy which was not always the case

Attachments

• IMG_20200721_105025228.jpg
    IMG_20200721_105025228.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20200716_174938430 (1).jpg
    IMG_20200716_174938430 (1).jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20200824_155111544.jpg
    IMG_20200824_155111544.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 39
This is what the branch wood looks like on the inside, you'd never really tell from the outside except for the lack of leaves and all the new shoots trying to live.

981BDE21-42DE-486D-A56B-3ECD9613611A.jpeg

06D15E31-5A7B-4D79-9B30-A4D45FA5DDD0.jpeg

Sorry Trevanion you always come across as being very capable so I hope this isn't too condescending. It's just tree work off a ladder Makes my bum squeak.

Oh no, you've got it wrong Suffolkboy, I'm very capable of being incapable! 😁 I do appreciate the concern though!

Guys i have a large amount of ash cut and slabbed if you require any and a good supply of oak,I cut and mill 50% of my time for my own stuff,Only sell to couple in the trade really but always happy to help forum members.Sort of stuff i cut and season below and this was an olive ash felled 12 months ago.My son is autistic so got into the milling 6 years ago as he loves it and we both are so happy which was not always the case
Just from interest are you ok paletting etc for delivery? Might drop you a pm.
Chris

This is what the branch wood looks like on the inside, you'd never really tell from the outside except for the lack of leaves and all the new shoots trying to live.

Oh no, you've got it wrong Suffolkboy, I'm very capable of being incapable! 😁 I do appreciate the concern though!
Far more knowledgable types on here of course but yeh. The disease prevents proper water transpiration. The capillary action of drawing water upward.
First signs are lack/ thinning of crown. Twigs and branches go sponge like and weak. Like pith. Fragile. It looks like spalting but it's unrelated. Anyway I'll shut up now and let the real experts talk. What a tragedy.

No problem at all and and my stuff is selected before i cut down the tree.Only want the best stuff and even though its hard work having your own supply of timber is great.Wish i could share with more people but then it would be a commercial side which is not me.Me and tom do ok and i like it that way

Where abouts are you Les?

No problem at all and and my stuff is selected before i cut down the tree.Only want the best stuff and even though its hard work having your own supply of timber is great.Wish i could share with more people but then it would be a commercial side which is not me.Me and tom do ok and i like it that way

Gwent, damn it. That's a helluva way from Suffolk.........why do you live somewhere so inconvenient?! :)

Ash is an incredibly prolific tree. There will be resistant trees out there I am sure.

Personally I think we should be encouraging ash to grow as mucj as possible, everywhere.

The trouble now is that the prospect of having mature or even semi mature ash trees for a landowner is not very attractive given the huge potential cost should Chalara take hold. I know a few arborists who won't work on trees with dieback full stop due to the unpredictability of the timber.

In really big or awkward trees removal becomes extremely difficult, sometimes only possible by mechanical means costing £££££££

If no resistance is forthcoming then mature ash in Britain's woodlands could be a thing of the past. If you have some. And have the space to put it to one side for a decade it could be worth some money. Or not depending on timber imports etc.

On a similar topic. In north Hampshire, I'm noticing more and more Landlii type fir trees begining to suffer. One neighbour has lost one tree, and several others in his location are not looking too good.

Bod.

Someone asked me yesterday whether I reckoned if I cut all the branches right back to the trunk would the tree survive and to tell you the truth, I have no idea. The trunks seemed fine for the most part but I assume the whole tree has the disease?

On a similar topic. In north Hampshire, I'm noticing more and more Landlii type fir trees begining to suffer. One neighbour has lost one tree, and several others in his location are not looking too good.

There's one tree disease that would make the world a better place! :)

I can't recall where or when I read it, and I haven't tried to find a source to back up what follows, but the message I got from my reading is that some experts think the genetic make up of ash trees in the UK has diverged (mutated maybe?) somewhat from many or all of those growing on mainland Europe. They postulated that this difference in the genetic make up of the UK ash trees, those I suppose with a long family background on these islands has conferred a certain amount of improved natural resistance to ash dieback. As I recall it, the scientists involved had noted a higher proportion of ash trees in the UK either seemed to be disease free in an affected geographical area, or less badly affected than has been, and continues to be the case in mainland Europe.

As I say, this could just be a bit of speculation, or I may have misread or misunderstood the article or paper I read, or maybe even heard on the radio, seen on TV, etc. Slainte.

Milled this trunk up yesterday guys and what really nice pieces they turn out to be.
IMG_20200824_155104263.jpg
IMG_20200824_155111544.jpg
IMG_20200824_155119907.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200824_155119907.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 4
Dropped another tree tonight and I took a photo of all the new shoots growing out of the tree, tree obviously wants to live but it is dying a slow and seemingly inevitable death. Could it be considered mercy killing at this point?

IMG_1942.JPG

Back