Ash bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalboy

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, at last, the first from the workshop after the wood store rebuild

An Ash bowl with a flame effect through it coloured the outside only so that it can be used for fruit or whatever someone wishes.

DSCF1862 (800x600).jpg

DSCF1863 (800x600).jpg

Attachments

• DSCF1862 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF1862 (800x600).jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 285
  • DSCF1863 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF1863 (800x600).jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 265
Farm Labourer":20pc10lx said:
Wow - Dalboy! How did you acheive the external finish?

The outside is done with three different colours of spirit stain first a black then sanded back which helps show the highlights of the wood then two other colours, as the green by itself was just too in your face so needed to tone it down a bit. Care is needed when mixing colours as if too many are used it can turn into a big brown mess.
And an acrylic gloss finish on top. The stain are applied with a brush and wiped with paper towel.

I learnt this technique from KimG who post above this post of mine

Definitely nailed the KimG finish standard there Derek, the 'sharp edge' contrast between colour and wood around rim and base depression set their own presentation standard.

I need to get back into doing some videos again, I am working on a complex piece right now and thought yesterday "that was a wasted opportunity for a good vid" Space is the problem, that and the fact that I am really not tidy in the workshop!

KimG":rxkzcve3 said:
I need to get back into doing some videos again, I am working on a complex piece right now and thought yesterday "that was a wasted opportunity for a good vid" Space is the problem, that and the fact that I am really not tidy in the workshop!

Look forward to see some more if you do some.

It is like myself when making the wooden models I try to remember to take photos of each step and sometimes just get carried away and forget :oops:

It's surprising what percentage of time is taken up if you deliberately set out to do a WIP, having to check each stage image or bracket it before you move on in the process because you can't go back.

Latest posts

Back