• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Ash Bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Paul Hannaby

Established Member
Reaction score
This was one of Ray Key's roughed out bowls I bought at the Seminar last year. I thought it was about time I did something with it! It's 16" diameter and 4" deep. The outside was a straight forward re-turning to true it up with a little reshaping near the base to form a foot. On the inside I added a wide curved rim with an undercut. The wood has a mixture of olive ash and ripple figure. Finished with a couple of coats of oil for use as a salad bowl.

Attachments

CHJ

Established Member
Reaction score
Elegant, and the wood figuring adds character and an additional source of interest when in use.

Dalboy

Established Member
Reaction score
Lovely piece of wood and a simple design leaving it near to what Ray left it at. A great loss to the woodturning community

KimG

Little Woodworm
Reaction score
I never even knew he had died! Such a shame, Ray's book "woodturning and design" was my very first turning book and it has been a constant guide ever since, I remember once handling one of his boxes at the Bristol Woodworker show, it was a masterpiece of turning, the lid fit was so precise I had trouble getting it back on, yet once it was correctly located, it just slid into place. A really great woodturner.