Ash and Zebrano coffee table.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt1245

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi chaps,

Here is my first piece of furniture finally completed. An ash and zebrano coffee table. I took inspiration from the zebrano in Philly's coffee table. It took me less than a year to complete (361 days to be precise :lol: ) Started it just before last christmas, but things kept getting in the way of my workshop time, like getting married, busting my hand, then my ribs, failed competition enteries etc.

Very pleased with the result, but there's plenty that could be improved upon. It was my first go at veneering and the zebrano veneer is bloody awfull stuff to use, although by the time i came to veneer the drawer fronts i was getting better at it.

Hope you like.

matt1245-Dsci1537edit.jpg
[/url][/img]

matt1245-Dsci1540edit.jpg
[/url][/img]

matt1245-Dsci1542edit.jpg
[/url][/img]

A big thanks to Philly for his advise at the begining of this project and to the late Trevtheturner for his encouragement and spurring me on the get it competed.

Matt.

Well done. Bet you are chuffed too!

Great stuff.

Adam

Very nice - hope your new wife likes it as well :D

How did you break most of the bones in your body ? (not table-making,I hope)

Andrew

Very nice, you know that you will have to replace all of the rest of the furniture in the house with stuff that matches this? :wink:

Should ensure some quality workshop time. :whistle:

Brill, a proper job, as they say down here in Cornwall. Your gonna need place mats to protect it, I hope it don't take another year to get some made. :wink:

Excellent project, well done. From my very limited experience of Zebrano I agree that its a bit tricky to work with :wink: - Rob

Thanks for all your kind comments.

The main part of the table was completed by summer, but the drawers have just been completed recently.

Very nice - hope your new wife likes it as well

How did you break most of the bones in your body ? (not table-making,I hope)

Cut my hand pretty bad on an exploding glass while doing the washing up #-o , then when had just about healed, tripped up while moving my planer thicknesser upto my workshop and cracked my ribs on the infeed table. #-o :oops:

SWMBO has already got a list of new stuff to make for the living room, fire surround, sideboard etc.

Matt.

Lord Nibbo":2o1mtgqf said:
Your gonna need place mats to protect it, I hope it don't take another year to get some made. :wink:

Great job Matt - the table looks really nice. Rather than place mats, what do people think about having a cover glass to protect the top of coffee tables. Just a thought.

promhandicam":3mabbh13 said:
Lord Nibbo":3mabbh13 said:
Your gonna need place mats to protect it, I hope it don't take another year to get some made. :wink:

Great job Matt - the table looks really nice. Rather than place mats, what do people think about having a cover glass to protect the top of coffee tables. Just a thought.

I found that glass mats are not really needed. I made a set of coffee tables and finished the tops with several coats of matt polyurethane, finally polished with some burnishing paste to give an almost glass like surface which to date has proved bullet proof - Rob

Matt

Really excellent work. If you're having any parties this Christmas, put it somewhere safe - after the guests have admired it!

Regards.

Back