Arundel J4 Lathe & Gryphon Motor - Opinions?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jester129

Established Member
Reaction score
What do you think of these lathes please people? I have the chance of picking up one of these for £120. Are they any good? Is it good value?
1634125575219.png

1634125606307.png

What do you think of these lathes please people? I have the chance of picking up one of these for £120. Are they any good? Is it good value?
View attachment 119606
View attachment 119607
They are absolutely brilliant and a pleasure to use. I had the same model for 20 years but with longer bars. Have now got the big brother Arundel J4 Senior which is visually identical but scaled up.
Snap it up £120 is a bargain, but try them at £90 first.
It looks like you have plain bearings there. They are no prob if oiled but if very worn you might need to take it to an engineer to machine, not expensive.
PS The spindle outboard end is small so only for moderate size turning - no 12x4" lumps of oak! The inboard thread is right for the size of lathe. Arundel J4 Junior & J4 Senior Lathes

Last edited:
Check the motor is 240V standard domestic supply and that it starts properly, check headstock spindle thread size - can you easily/economically buy chucks faceplates and suchlike? The bed looks short is it long enough for your purposes?
As good as this lathe and motor probably are bear in mind its likely 1970 ish, for my money see if you can get a Record lathe as spares and accessories will be easy to come by.

Check the motor is 240V standard domestic supply and that it starts properly, check headstock spindle thread size - can you easily/economically buy chucks faceplates and suchlike? The bed looks short is it long enough for your purposes?
As good as this lathe and motor probably are bear in mind its likely 1970 ish, for my money see if you can get a Record lathe as spares and accessories will be easy to come by.
Yes it will need some accessories so allow another £100 perhaps. Knob missing under the tool post - easy to bodge something e.g. wooden ball and araldite.
I had the Record C3 briefly but found it not so good to use - the Arundel design is quite refined in comparison. The engine mount should have lever and be very easy to change speed if everything set up properly. I add a wedge for extra support under mine, once set up.
I'm told longer bars are just stock steel and cheap but haven't checked this out.. Don't need to be precision engineered this is woodturning not engineering. Mine were 30" between centres - long enough for a table leg.

Back