Arundel E5 lathe now up-and-running

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodMangler

Established Member
Reaction score
A few months ago, I posted about an Arundel E5 lathe I'd picked up in an auction as a 'box of bits' (https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/arundel-e5-lathe-questions-t55669.html). I've finally made it a bench and got it up-and-running and, to my amazement and delight, it works !

The bench (pictured below if I get it right) is based on the one described in Keith Rowley's 'Woodturning - A Foundation Course', with some additional cross-bracing. I bagged a 3/4 HP 2880 rpm motor from ebay, which lives inside the bench, controlled by an Axminster NVR switch. This drives a home-made layshaft speed-reduced to 1400 rpm, which in turns drives the lathe itself via a 4-step pulley from RDG Tools, running on a pair of 5/8" self-aligning ball races. Calculated spindle speeds are approx 450, 900, 1600, 2900 rpm, which is not far from the original spec. The bench frame is 4*3", 8*2" and 4*2" timbers clad with 1" chipboard, and the top is a 40mm kitchen-unit top. I have no idea what it all weighs, but it's as solid as a rock and much too heavy for me to even lift one end.

I also won a set of 8 Record woodturning tools on Ebay, and have myself booked in for a 2-day woodturning foundation course next month - so my output of sawdust and scrappers should shortly turn into a veritable flood...

Attachments

• lathe1.JPG
    lathe1.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 1,532
  • lathe2.JPG
    lathe2.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 1,530
  • lathe3.JPG
    lathe3.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 1,529
A great job, though I`d rig up some kind of guard for that exposed pulley. You don`t want anything, especially bits of yourself getting caught up with that at 2900rpm :shock:

Ian

Silverbirch":2kt3lga1 said:
A great job, though I`d rig up some kind of guard for that exposed pulley. You don`t want anything, especially bits of yourself getting caught up with that at 2900rpm

Thanks - a step-pulley guard is on my to-do-list (I've already got a guard on the motor-to-layshaft drive), but I wanted to be sure it all worked before I added any more bits to it.

I like it.

The eternal challenge of shavings and dust v a good supply of cool air to the motor - but I am sure you will find the right solution.

Storage and the top look great.

nev":205mpc49 said:
and a door over the motor end too. those pesky shavings will find their way into anything :) Nice job!
There is a door for the motor, it's hanging down - I'd opened it for the photo.

Hello Mr Mangler,

Sorry to bump up an old(ish) thread but you've done a good job so worth another look - hope no-one minds

I also have one of these that I am slowly getting to understand (for example I have just this evening realised that the tail centre is removable so I can get a live centre - i wondered how yours had one)

anyway these wick feed oilers - stupid question but do they have wicks in them!

or rather should they have wicks in them?

mine were full of sawdust when i got it so i poked it out with some wire - at least I thought it was sawdust up till very recently - like when i just re-read your thread

presuming somebody had been stupid enough to poke out their old wick with some wire and thrown it away thinking it was compressed sawdust what would he replace it with?

it does seem to get through the oil pretty fast without one!!

what a plonker - any help appreciated

Pete

stoatyboy":3gh4c2ze said:
...anyway these wick feed oilers - stupid question but do they have wicks in them! or rather should they have wicks in them?
Yes - worsted wool seems to be the recommended wick - google "wick oilers" for more info.

it does seem to get through the oil pretty fast without one!!
That doesn't sound right - they should syphon the oil up the wool, into a tube going down to the bearing - no wick, no syphon, so it should stay full instead. I wonder if the tubes in yours are damaged or missing - I'll attach a close-up photo of mine showing the tube. If it is broken/missing, you may be able to replace with a little bit of brass tube from a model shop.
WickOiler1.jpg

I have to say i was surprised at how well these oilers work - they seem to dispense just the right amount of oil, and don't need filling too often - you can hear when they're running dry anyway, and it's the work of a moment to pop the lids up and refill them.

Attachments

• WickOiler1.jpg
    WickOiler1.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 1,209
While we're in necro-post mode :-

Silverbirch":3n7us8nc said:
A great job, though I`d rig up some kind of guard for that exposed pulley. You don`t want anything, especially bits of yourself getting caught up with that at 2900rpm
I realised the profound wisdom of your words the first time I tried turning by moving the tool away from the headstock, Ian :D

Here's my guard - a bit Heath-Robinson, but it works...
BeltGuard.jpg

Attachments

• BeltGuard.jpg
    BeltGuard.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 1,208
Thanks WM

wool now on my shopping list - and the guard looks great too, another thing on my to do list!

just to finish off - if you were to fill the cups up with oil to above the level of the top of the tube then it would run away pretty fast and spray oil all over your bench and self - so i've been told

obviously that would be really daft so i'm not surprised you didn't realise that's what I meant - who would do such a thing

feel a bit foolish now

but thanks!

cheers

Back